Back to shop ↗
THE HOLDEN COMMODORE FORUM

HOLDCOM Community

Built around the cars. Kept alive by the people.

+ Start a discussion
Holden Commodores gathered at Holdcom
Forum Home›Meets & events
Meets & events

Jack's LS1 Calais Wagon build thread

Started by VLWAGONIT · 29 Dec 2012 · 123 replies

Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗

fmx939Archived member
I agree, should have kept the V5's. However it will look good on any rim, FR's will look sweet once u clean them up. Looking good either way
0 likes
priceysVLArchived member
Will be interesting to see how well the 18s sit. Ive considered fr19s in gold but i think 18s will suit much better. Cheers for the pm
0 likes
VLWAGONITArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by priceysVL [View Post] Will be interesting to see how well the 18s sit. Ive considered fr19s in gold but i think 18s will suit much better. Cheers for the pm I'm going to have to roll the rear guards to make them fit. Might have to do the fronts as well but we shall see
0 likes
TheChadArchived member
what width rim are they? I thought the whole point of them being 3 piece was that they would be initially spaced right? what car did they come off?
0 likes
VLWAGONITArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by TheChad [View Post] what width rim are they? I thought the whole point of them being 3 piece was that they would be initially spaced right? what car did they come off? Those are all excellent questions.... I havnt measured them past measuring the lips and no idea what they were on. The guards were always going to get rolled though so this just forces me to get around to doing it ---------- Post added 09-09-15 at 22:05 ---------- Took it to the drags tonight and got a 13.329 @ 107.9mph with a passenger. Was pretty consistent in times even with completely rooted tyres ---------- Post added 09-09-15 at 22:11 ---------- (http://s94.photobucket.com/user/vlwagonit/media/7EE1CC55-6E9E-42F4-AD7D-081DFC51FAF3_zpsoh5wkoml.jpg.html) Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
VP_WagonArchived member
I miss the car and wish I hadn't sold, Glad to see its still going.
0 likes
VLWAGONITArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by VP_Wagon [View Post] I miss the car and wish I hadn't sold, Glad to see its still going. Its a bit different now compared to when you had it haha. You wouldn't happen to still have the log book for it would you? or did did it disappear when the owner after you had it? cheers
0 likes
philbyArchived member
Good to see you saved it from the Wreckers! looks like it's going to be a lot of fun when its finished!
0 likes
VP_WagonArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by VLWAGONIT [View Post] Its a bit different now compared to when you had it haha. You wouldn't happen to still have the log book for it would you? or did did it disappear when the owner after you had it? cheers Unfortunately it all went with the car. I nearly kept it but let it go. I think I may still have the broadcast sheet from under the carpet although it wasn't very legible.
0 likes
VLWAGONITArchived member
ah bugger. The boradcast sheet would be cool if you still have it though! Fixed a pretty bad fuel leak today, it was spraying a fine easily ignitable mist of fuel over the engine bay - good times
0 likes
VLWAGONITArchived member
Bad news and good news. The bad news is that the timing belt on my BT 50 went the other day but the good news is the brakes finally bled up properly on my Calais and it is my new daily. I am currently looking at upgrading the pads and rotors to EBC pads and a set of slotted/dimpled rotors. Does anyone have any experience with EBC pads? And what should I be looking for in a brake rotor? Cheers
0 likes
SteveArchived member
Go DBA rotors, stay away from RDA etc. The T1/T3 rotors are good to use.. apparently the dimpled/cross drilled ones crack I've run EBC Greenstuff pads on my VL's in the past which have always had good bite etc, I think the Reds have replaced the Greens - I'm using them in my Ute now
0 likes
VLWAGONITArchived member
Sweet, Ill check out the DBA's. Yeah I have looked into the redstuff pads and was just tossing up between them and the yellowstuff atm
0 likes
3lturboArchived member
I'm running the DBA T3's up front, they do a pretty good job. Best replacement rotor from what I found.
0 likes
Xibit0rArchived member
+1 for T2 rotors and EBC Reds!
0 likes
VLWAGONITArchived member
update? Went and ran a 13.229 at the motorplex last wed once again on **** old tires. Probably wont run again unless it makes some more power and I'll get around to putting some decent rubber on the back Painted the brake calipers and fitted the new EBC red stuff pads but am yet to take it for a drive yet. Had the alternator die last week and fitted a new one but then went for a drive the other night and all the electrics started dying and by the time I got home there was only 6v in the battery so no idea how it drove 20km like that. Checked it again next morning without charging it and the battery was back up to 12v and everything seems fine. No idea what is wrong with it :/
0 likes
TUXEDOArchived member
Drag racing is pretty boring without traction! Get yourself some slicks or at least some ET streets, You should be able to drastically improve your ET. My cammed LS1 VL went 11.4 but it was also auto..
0 likes
VLWAGONITArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by TUXEDO [View Post] Drag racing is pretty boring without traction! Get yourself some slicks or at least some ET streets, You should be able to drastically improve your ET. My cammed LS1 VL went 11.4 but it was also auto.. Yeah I already have a set of ET streets for my FR 18s, just need to get around to putting the rims back together. A cam is still on the horizon as well!!
0 likes
VLWAGONITArchived member
New alternator is in as well as a new battery. Took it for a drive tonight and the car is running great. The EBC pads nearly throw you through the windscreen!!!
0 likes
dabigboyArchived member
Awsome build! Kudos to you and your perststance in getting it going. top job!
0 likes
Sign in or create an account to reply. New members are welcome—no purchase or old CT account needed.

Who’s online

0 members and 4 guests active in the last 15 minutes

No signed-in members active right now. Guests are welcome to browse.

Visitors Today100

8,981 threads, 62,105 posts and 788 images saved from CT

26.2% of indexed threads saved