Back to shop ↗
THE HOLDEN COMMODORE FORUM

HOLDCOM Community

Built around the cars. Kept alive by the people.

+ Start a discussion
Holden Commodores gathered at Holdcom
Forum Home›VL Commodore
VL Commodore

New build with updates!

Started by melbv · 17 July 2016 · 124 replies

Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗

mattladsArchived member
calm down melby no one is having a go at you we are all friends. probably the most important question what is this car for ? is it a daily , weekender, semi track? having the 350kw on paper is good but have you thought when you want your power curve to be ? ive been in cars with 600kw and driving on the street it felt pretty sluggish because boost didn't start till 6000 rpm ish so you never really got to feel it . but then you hop in a 200kw vl pushing a little t3 and the boost was almost instant which was great. main focus in this build will come down to your turbo size and when you want to hit boost then sort of building around that.
0 likes
melbvArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by mattlads [View Post] calm down melby no one is having a go at you we are all friends. probably the most important question what is this car for ? is it a daily , weekender, semi track? having the 350kw on paper is good but have you thought when you want your power curve to be ? ive been in cars with 600kw and driving on the street it felt pretty sluggish because boost didn't start till 6000 rpm ish so you never really got to feel it . but then you hop in a 200kw vl pushing a little t3 and the boost was almost instant which was great. main focus in this build will come down to your turbo size and when you want to hit boost then sort of building around that. Hey mate, yep you're 100% correct. The turbo I got I think it will be a little sluggish but I've read different opinion so I'm gonna wait and see what happens, if it's sluggish Well then she's gotta get changed. But from what I've been told by someone who's used this turbo boost came on around 3000rpm and came on hard so fingers crossed. It will be a street car, I do want to to take it to the track but only when I find a stronger box. Not too confident with the mx7 holding up with 350rwkw. Back at the injector stage now because I'm going e85 so flipping up between 1000cc or 1600cc injectors/
0 likes
joe185iArchived member
I hate it when people say to search. There's nothing wrong with starting a thread every now and then with some fresh information. Most times I search something it comes up with results from 2006 which have answers but aren't exactly relevant to 2016. Melbv the mx7 box has no chance at 350rwkw. You need an r33 or a strong 3spd auto. Speak to your tuner about what injectors he likes to tune.
0 likes
melbvArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by joe185i [View Post] I hate it when people say to search. There's nothing wrong with starting a thread every now and then with some fresh information. Most times I search something it comes up with results from 2006 which have answers but aren't exactly relevant to 2016. Melbv the mx7 box has no chance at 350rwkw. You need an r33 or a strong 3spd auto. Speak to your tuner about what injectors he likes to tune. Hey mate finally!! You know I don't really need to start a thread, I'll just walk into my tuners shop and tell him to write me up a proven setup and I'll go out source the parts no searching no rubbish. All I was trying to do here is have a RECENT thread and get a bit of activity on this site. I thought people will give opinions throughout the process a bit of discussion but instead copped s**t. Maybe some kid will read it from start to finish and pick up a few ideas or copy the setup or helped someone that could take an idea for their build. Would've been pretty cool having it accomplished with a bit of elbow grease and great advice from people. Yeah I've gotten my hands on an r33 box pretty excited about. Will be bolting everything up Tuesday onwards so car should be ready to tune in next couple weeks. Only concerned about microtech but when I get to that stage I'll try source some help
0 likes
AlastairArchived member
Who is tuning your car?
0 likes
melbvArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by Alastair [View Post] Who is tuning your car? Danny Bresciani
0 likes
melbvArchived member
Quick update, selling the vl going to buy another vl and put an rb25 into it. Seems like it will cost less, be more reliable and cheaper power and reliability.
0 likes
3lturboArchived member
You'll be in the exact same predicament with a 25 mate. May as well just buy a 25 head and put it on a 30 block. Out of curiosity why sell the vl to buy another?
0 likes
melbvArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by 3lturbo [View Post] You'll be in the exact same predicament with a 25 mate. May as well just buy a 25 head and put it on a 30 block. Out of curiosity why sell the vl to buy another? It's has a good spray job from previous owner, body kit is in good nick will be a shame to pull it apart and ruin it. I think someone will enjoy it instead of playing around with it
0 likes
dougall83Archived member
U going to start a build thread?
0 likes
melbvArchived member
Yep, getting my hands on a Calais soon will start a build thread. Does anyone know if the rear window outside rubber seal can be removed without removing the actual window???
0 likes
mulkersArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by joe185i [View Post] Melbv the mx7 box has no chance at 350rwkw. You need an r33 Open them up - they're the same box. Plenty of quick cars running MX7s
0 likes
FlexyArchived member
They're not the "same box", they're very similar. Neither in good condition will have a problem with that power level.
0 likes
melbvArchived member
Anyone know if I can take the rubber moulds off the rear window without taking out the actual window???
0 likes
SIrollerArchived member
what a letdown. 5 pages no photos now you give up! re the rear window it'll push out i use flat bladed screwdrivers etc and peel back from the inside and itll push out easily
0 likes
melbvArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by SIroller [View Post] what a letdown. 5 pages no photos now you give up! re the rear window it'll push out i use flat bladed screwdrivers etc and peel back from the inside and itll push out easily Hey, cheers for the info. Didn't give up, just a big deflated from having to continously explain myself to people about this thread. Just selling this car so I don't mess up what someone else had already put effort into. Found myself a Calais that I will be using instead. Might still continue this thread with it and just ignore anyone b*tching about it lol. Will post up some photos of the new vl when I get it.
0 likes
deanoVLCTArchived member
Lol
0 likes
FlexyArchived member
From what ive seen it looks like you've actually learnt alot from this thread..
0 likes
mattladsArchived member
the old "this car is to good for me"
0 likes
Jet R31Archived member
Lol..top thread,well done on making 5 pages of stuff all talked about in 2006 and Still beneficial today..haha Cheers Darren
0 likes
Sign in or create an account to reply. New members are welcome—no purchase or old CT account needed.

Who’s online

1 member and 17 guests active in the last 15 minutes

Visitors Today19

3,683 threads, 23,233 posts and 81 images saved from CT