Back to shop ↗
THE HOLDEN COMMODORE FORUM

HOLDCOM Community

Built around the cars. Kept alive by the people.

+ Start a discussion
Holden Commodores gathered at Holdcom
Forum Home›VL Commodore
VL Commodore

The VL Sleeper effect, MK III

Started by 350stato · 26 May 2014 · 140 replies

Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗

SteveArchived member
Nice, so you didnt need to shave the cover at all?!
0 likes
350statoArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by Steve [View Post] Nice, so you didnt need to shave the cover at all?! No, Didn't touch it, I was told I had to, but it seems fine, not yet on the ground but I've jacked it up on the diff off the stands and was fine Better pic of clearance in day light.. ---------- Post added 15-07-17 at 15:50 ---------- Went shopping today at wreckers, bought the handbrake innards from a VN, (actually it was a Toyota Lexen version) 80's Commodore parts with a Toyota badge going into a 80's Commodore with a Toyota engine..... Sorted and half arsed cleaned.. VL on Left, VN on right, internal parts are the same regardless of them being upside down to each other Barstard little job but hand brake assembly fitted with the new shoes Backing plate and disc fitted, it's a bit like lollies ha ha Old vs New caliper brake lines New brakes fitted, unfortunately I hadn't noticed the brake line bolts didn't come back with the calipers when reco'd but once I get some bolts I can fit that side of the braided brake lines and rear will be done and onto next job Got the braided and steel rear brake lines fitted So handbrake adjustment and the 2 caliper bolts and the rear end is sorted, Plan is to next pull box out to do ARP flex plate bolts and put in convertor then start on fuel system hopefully next week Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
350statoArchived member
So this is pretty much as far as I've gotten, After deciding that NO other car would get touched until this was done, I then 2 days later promptly started on the S14... **** cars.
0 likes
MUSArchived member
Love this build
0 likes
bo5tonArchived member
Just read this whole thread again. So good. Any updates?
0 likes
12maneymArchived member
this build make sme moist. i have a berlina turbo inoriginally white gold... im thinking now im gonna respray it original colour and mx grey the bars. thamks for the motorvation lol
0 likes
BigM22Archived member
this is awesome, fantastic work man
0 likes
350statoArchived member
Not a great deal done unfortunately, About September last year I finally went to my cousins place to pick up the fuel tank from the acid dip, Actually came out better than I expected, I was convinced I would be searching for a new tank, bit of loose crap to clean out but will give it a good clean when I cut a hole in the to to play with it's innards, I thought the acid would kill everything but it didn't (as he told me lol) even the pen mark from factory under the strap showed up ( I assume factory) A mate had this for sale off an alloy radiator he bought, fits VL radiator, he dropped it around for me, will prob swap out the fan for better quality Spal or Davis Craig, The clutch fan on the 2JZ is way to far off set to work in the VL While he was here he picked an issue he had on a car, I would have done my head in trying to find it when the time came, apparently these handbrake cable guides are only for drum brake, he said when he went out the driveway on an angle the car would pull up, turns out it was pulling the handbrake cable on as it flexed, and they were tight on there, so fck it... ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 05-10-17 So with the fact this car in my mind was about 5K away from being on the road, and budget is not awesome at present because it's all getting spent on other bloody cars... again.... I was keen to get this done, although I have since pinched the turbo off it for the V8 KE20, and me being fked in the head, means I now MUST replace it with something better, so it has to be fking expensive cause I'm a d!ck, so the budget gets a set back, and now thinking it'll take decent boost if its not a china turbo, so should make decent numbers, so the C4 isn't going to cut it... so I pulled it out and sold it... so I can now spend even more money on a glide setup... cause I'm a dumb cnt... and I haven't done gearbox crossmember or tailshaft yet so wont end up doing that bit twice... I was never overly happy with engine position, sits way to far forward, I decided I should look at moving the engine back a bit as well before I do the glide stuff, It can go back a good 60-70mm, which means the turbo will no longer fit in the little indentation on the inner guard with the china manifold, so now I'm taking the car to Kyle at 6boost for a custom jobby, because subconsciously I never want this fking car to be finished... Anyway, I've thrown the wheels back on so I can see how it sits on the new springs, pretty happy with it, not stupid low and still retain a stockish look, and the fact it's clearly not going anywhere for a bit until I find a decent cash injection for it ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 11-10-17 I've done 4/5ths of fk all on this, it has collected plenty of dust though... Did get the mod plate done while the guy was out doing the other car, also, covered for fking everything... -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 30-11-17 So I've still done absolutely ****all to this... Did buy it a present though, Found these mudflaps in autobarn, cant get originals anymore and thought they looked similar so I'll bang them on one day.. Also bought it a Powerglide case and a bunch of spare glide bits for laterer, I'm sure they be distributed between a few of us. ---------- Post added 21-05-18 at 12:23 ---------- 06-01-18 No progress but I did buy it a neat little present, Came along at the right time for the right money, A new Garrett GTX42/94 turbo, should help it sing, now I just need to re-do the engine mounts and get a manifold to put it on.... Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
350statoArchived member
So something happened, Then I got a call from Goleby to pick up his Hilux and drag my VL to his shop to redo mounts etc, Turns out I had them on the wrong side thinking they didn't fit because the sump fouled on the crossmember, once on a hoist it was obvious that it just needed a 5mm scollop near it and it fit sitting back where I wanted it, Gilroy (Gilroys Automatics) had an old cracked glide case there and a 2JZ-Glide bellhousing (That I have bought to make sure it'll all line up laterer) to mock up the gearbox crossmember and Goleby made one up for me, He then got Kyle at 6boost to come look at position etc and he jigged one up to suit the GE head and tacked it together (there and then!) so we could mock up turbo, gate and cooler piping We mounted the big ARC Intercooler, threw on the manifold and Goleby made the hotside pipe, Test fitted a Plazmaman plenum to suit the GE head, which I will be going with now, Then dragged its arse back home! I have some motivation for this, the rest can sit and rot while I do a bit on it. ---------- Post added 21-05-18 at 12:25 ---------- Actually even did stuff on this today, not a great deal, but some lol Pulled the cooler back off and cleaned it out and painted it black, had to use the bloody jack to pick it up, heavy ******* thing, looks better black Dragged the bumper rio out of the shed and gave it a good clean and bit of paint as well, test fitted it for clearance around the cooler, fits perfect, hung the front bar on for test fit, clears well, doesn't sit too bad, bumper will have to come up a spot as it was loosely siting there, I've apparently lost a couple of little brackets and a clip for the small filler moulds above the bumper so I can't fit them up yet and will wait till I get cooler pipes finished and painted before I bolt the bumper on, Bumper is at least put together and ready to go on. ---------- Post added 22-05-18 at 11:59 ---------- Brake lines moved to clear manifold and gate this morning, Manifold is done and at Goleby's, out of time before heading to work, not back till tomorrow night so will pick up 6boob and see what I can get done later in the week. Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
MUSArchived member
Really good work bro, it's amazing. Almost there ��
0 likes
350statoArchived member
Thanks mate, slowly getting there I have actually done something to this, not a great deal, but something.. 6boob turned up, Mocked on, trial fitted gate, turbo etc, Also trial fitted covers and boost rag.... Made up a block off plate for the back of the water pump, although I'm now wondering if I should just run the heater hoses, I'll probably never use the heater though, Also painted Thermostat housing and bolted that on (dodgy hose is cause I was to lazy to use tape) Ended up going with the Plazmaman, nice bit of kit, they deleted the huge IAC valve port and mounted the accelerator cable bracket under so I could flip the T/B to make it a bit neater, Typical, Barstard injectors are to short, ordered extensions.. Threw it on to mock it up, looks the part.... Unfortunately looking the part is all it did, for a Plenum that retailed at just over 3K, I'm pretty disappointed it isn't a perfect fit, it's a non turbo head plenum, but it doesn't clear the stock water neck, I feel I should ask them why my $300 ebay one fit but the $3000 one doesn't... something they need to sort I think for that kind of money. Rather than shave the $3K manifold and powercoating, I opted to shave down the water neck, had to take a fair bit off it, ground it on a flapper disc till close then filed it down to fit the best I could and re-painted, Realized I hadn't done the rear swaybar, not really sure why, dragged it out of the shed and gave it a quick rub and paint, new link pin kit and bushes and threw it on, Obviously the tag reminded me I have no oil in the diff, so sorted that out as well, hope this sh!t is ok Small order of a few more bits, Dip stick for glide, have ordered pretty much all the internal bits for the glide as well, awaiting them to arrive, Ai SPR1000 surge tank, exhaust manifold gasket so I can bolt that on, PWR Trans cooler and Spal fan, injector extensions and Race Port BOV, Also got a Walbro 255 pump for in the tank as the 460 in-tank will be too much for the tank-surge, Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
trkwpnArchived member
Wasn't this up for sale ?
0 likes
350statoArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by trkwpn [View Post] Wasn't this up for sale ? Briefly, but I woke up to my self lol Started fitting fuel pumps, need to buy some little terminal thingys to wire pumps and surge will be ready, Will have to make a plate for it to sit on in the car as there is no decent mounting point, Took this crap off, put in the Union bolt and filter straight to the block, much betterer.. Put a hole in the pipe and a mate welded the thingy on the thingy Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
12maneymArchived member
cant wait to see/hear this thing done
0 likes
MUSArchived member
Absolutely nuts mate, loving the plasmaman gear. Wanting to buy the fuel rail and plenum myself.
0 likes
350statoArchived member
Thanks guys, yeah the Plazmaman sh!t is nice, At least the surge tank is ready, pumps fitted and wired up, Accelerator cable came back with the inner slightly shorter, outer was perfect, even fits! Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
350statoArchived member
F ck this is sad, Months on end before anything happens on this... Anyway, after a 3.5 month wait after ordering and paying for Powerglide internals, they finally turned up, ordered on the 6th of June, I actually went into the Summit store in Atlanta on September 9th to sort the problem with the delays, 1 part of the order wasn't in store so they kept delaying it an extra week, every week, turns out they had the same item in a different brand in stock, Guy at the counter couldn't even understand why they didn't ask about putting that in the order to finalize, then after all that and him telling me that it would be done and sent, they then delayed it for another 2 week because there was a $4.25 price difference they wanted me to pay before shipping.... I rang them and "politely" told them I think they should pick up the $4.25 tab, seems they agree'd and was then sent... Decided I had better do something on this sh!t tin, fuel tanks on these have that intake return hose that always seems to come off, only fix is to get a very clever 3yo to put it back on through the pump hole or cut a hole in the tank, I don't know a 3yo that clever, The tank was acid bathed a while ago, so mostly cleaned, Gave it another final clean and got some E85 rated submersible hose and fitted it in All for that little carnt.. Scott (OKE020) welded the tank for me, he had a bit of an issue with it being junk to weld, think it may have been the acid, Anyway, it was sh!t to weld but he sorted it, doesn't leak, I thought about painting it but then figured it wasn't from factory, so I just gave it a quick clean and it can go back in as per factory, threw a little paint over the welds. The original fuel sender looked a bit past its used by date, Shifty sorted another one for me, even the same part number, OCD people are great! lol Cleaned it up and ready to put together.. Fitted a Walbro 255lph pump (GSS342) to feed the surge tank. Cradle fitted, cant remember if I put any sealant on the pump wiring rubber plug though, will have to check for leaks later lol Painted the tank straps as they were starting to go a bit rusty and then replaced the overflow/breather lines, Fitted the tank! F cking finally!!! Still need to find a Charcol canister off something as the plan is to mount one near the tank filler in the gap here as the original one was removed as it would have fouled the exhaust manifold Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
12maneymArchived member
what are you usin for a surge tank/swirl pot?
0 likes
350statoArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by 12maneym [View Post] what are you usin for a surge tank/swirl pot? As above mate, Ai SPR1000 with 2 Walbro 460 pumps
0 likes
350statoArchived member
This site seems its probably dead anyway, I tried to upload but image shack is being aids again so will fix pics etc later, So for any of the 3 people that actually still get on here, if you're actually interested heres a link to another site with pics. http://www.performanceforums.com/for...**ing-VL/page4 (http://www.performanceforums.com/forums/showthread.php?67313483-That-****ing-VL/page4) Figured I should add the yearly update of this ****ing thing, Made the right hand cooler pipe and BOV fit, IMG_3781.JPG (http://www.calaisturbo.com.au/attachment.php?s=ef03318899e329f41cfecfd32889ae95&attachmentid=64287&d=1551907440) IMG_3784.JPG (http://www.calaisturbo.com.au/attachment.php?s=ef03318899e329f41cfecfd32889ae95&attachmentid=64288&d=1551907440) Received a care package from Goleby a while ago, great guys..... Part of it is his adjustable cam gears and a cam trigger kit for the GE motor, I deleted the dizzy and was going to run wasted spark, this will be a much better setup, [ATTACH=CONFIG]110585[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]110586[/ATTACH] Fitted it up, even looks the part in there, [ATTACH=CONFIG]110587[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]110588[/ATTACH] He also sent a oil drain fitting for the sump, [ATTACH=CONFIG]110589[/ATTACH] Also I got this sandwich plate that has a few extra ports in it so I can run my turbo oil feed from it, Also hooked up an oil pressure sensor, Made up the oil feed line. [ATTACH=CONFIG]110590[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]110591[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]110592[/ATTACH] I mounted the Turbosmart fuel reg, more compact and modern than the F.A.S.T reg, forgot to take pics of it mounted but I did take a pic of the nutserts lol [ATTACH=CONFIG]110593[/ATTACH] Decided to drag its arse outside, de-valued it a bit by washing of the barn dust, doesnt even look to bad!! might do something with it. [ATTACH=CONFIG]110594[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]110595[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]110596[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]110597[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]110598[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]110599[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]110600[/ATTACH]
0 likes
Sign in or create an account to reply. New members are welcome—no purchase or old CT account needed.

Who’s online

1 member and 16 guests active in the last 15 minutes

Visitors Today18

3,683 threads, 23,233 posts and 78 images saved from CT