Back to shop ↗
THE HOLDEN COMMODORE FORUM

HOLDCOM Community

Built around the cars. Kept alive by the people.

+ Start a discussion
Holden Commodores gathered at Holdcom
Forum Home›General discussion
General discussion

My A9Y VL Calais Wagon

Started by priceysVL · 4 Sept 2013 · 138 replies

Preserved from CalaisTurbo (partial recovery). Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗

priceysVLArchived member
Small update - replaced the AFM, internal and external fuel pumps and fuel filter. Looked inside the tank and looked pretty clean so nothing to worry about there. Also getting the Calais wheels polished to a mirror finished, should have them back in about a week or so.
0 likes
#adzArchived member
was it only a replacement of the internal and external pumps or an upgrade? just had a very quick re-read and couldn't find it, what springs did u put in the front? how far away from being on the road now do you think?
0 likes
priceysVLArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by #adz [View Post] was it only a replacement of the internal and external pumps or an upgrade? just had a very quick re-read and couldn't find it, what springs did u put in the front? how far away from being on the road now do you think? Just replaced them the pumps, no upgrades there. The front springs are wagon super lows. Probably not the best pics here but it sits pretty flat all round. Honestly, not sure when I'll be on the road, but hopefully in a few months time, well at least for cruise for charity. Soccer season is nearly over so I can start working on it on my Saturdays off again and motivate myself for some summer crusing.
0 likes
BigM22Archived member
Brake upgrade looks trick! should stop no dramas now I love VL wagons, and Calais Wagons are just porn Keep up the good work, should be a mint cruiser Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
priceysVLArchived member
Okay so on my day off this happened at work, wasn't told about it until I went in the next morning. I was filthy. Apparently the bar got caught on the bottom of the hoist and just ripped off. (http://s296.photobucket.com/user/Aussie3692/media/Mobile%20Uploads/EB961688-25AD-4394-8635-95C72A9A837E_zpslgmxe6nc.jpg.html) (http://s296.photobucket.com/user/Aussie3692/media/Mobile%20Uploads/C39D1E7F-7B2A-4565-837A-754036BF121E_zpsnrchv3tl.jpg.html) Anyway, sourced a new front bar and sides, got them painted and fitted the new bar up this arvo. (http://s296.photobucket.com/user/Aussie3692/media/Mobile%20Uploads/3C8F2D31-9875-4227-8A32-513B0C1A61B3_zpsqxegsaws.jpg.html) (http://s296.photobucket.com/user/Aussie3692/media/Mobile%20Uploads/C2AE4232-2DB8-468D-BB4D-EE489A02AF20_zpshcqfph4z.jpg.html) Didn't really look in real life but looking at the photos it appears the colour between the bar and moulds is different , have to have another look Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
priceysVLArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by #adz [View Post] A v8 wagon would be rad. What kind of condition is it in? High kms, standard rust, interior needs attention. Exterior looks to be in good nick.
0 likes
priceysVLArchived member
Well, the v8 wagon fling never happened. Spoke to the bloke who bought it and he was just trying to off load it for a profit. Also said it had overheating and carby issues, lucky I didn't chance my arm on the long haul home. Reason for the update is the rego renewal papers just arrived for the VL. Lack of money and time have in turn lost me any sort of motivation to get back into it. Although I do have plenty of options. 1. Store away til winter next year. 2. Pull my finger out and either work turbo motor or convert to an 8 3. Sell this and my ute and buy a VE GTS. 4. Sell and buy a v8 VL. so thats currently where I'm at. How's everyone else going. ?
0 likes
3lturboArchived member
The GTS is a great car. But you'll be in a similar predicament when it starts to feel slow. Why not just chip away at putting a turbo'd LS in the wagon over the space of a year? The conversions cheap enough, and you can get the manifolds as a kit now. You've got an awesome wagon, i'd keep it and finish it.
0 likes
#adzArchived member
Agree with 3lturbo - chip away at it. my $0.02 Decide exactly what it is you want it to be, plan it out and stick to it. If you can keep it useable while you do the work on it even better - as soon as you get over it you can jump in and enjoy it. If its not what you really want, then yeah sell it and get what it is you want. Its a f k n real nice wagon man...you'll be kicking yourself after selling it for sure. I rage quit a genuine 5spd berlina turbo with madeira interior in 2002 and still give myself an upper cut due to said irrationallity.
0 likes
priceysVLArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by 3lturbo [View Post] The GTS is a great car. But you'll be in a similar predicament when it starts to feel slow. Why not just chip away at putting a turbo'd LS in the wagon over the space of a year? The conversions cheap enough, and you can get the manifolds as a kit now. You've got an awesome wagon, i'd keep it and finish it. Thanks for your thoughts mate. I've loved the VE GTS ever since they first came out, more so the E3 series. I said to myself when the time comes it has to be fully optioned and exactly what I'm after. I have considered putting a LS in the wagon. And like you said its not an extremely difficult conversion and more so parts needed are of better quality. Not sure aboutl a turbo aswell but ive read the manifolds give a lot more room? I could probably sell the rb30 drivetrain for a decent price aswell. I think ill just sit on it for a while and plug away slowly. ---------- Post added 18-10-15 at 14:07 ---------- Quote: Originally Posted by #adz [View Post] Agree with 3lturbo - chip away at it. my $0.02 Decide exactly what it is you want it to be, plan it out and stick to it. If you can keep it useable while you do the work on it even better - as soon as you get over it you can jump in and enjoy it. If its not what you really want, then yeah sell it and get what it is you want. Its a f k n real nice wagon man...you'll be kicking yourself after selling it for sure. I rage quit a genuine 5spd berlina turbo with madeira interior in 2002 and still give myself an upper cut due to said irrationallity. Thats my problem. I'm so indecisive. And if I were to sell for one I wouldnt get that Id ask for and two I'd probably be kicking myself. If no one was aware I am a mechanic by trade and half the time I couldn't be assed working on the VL after working on everyone else shxtboxes. So plugging away it will be. Im starting to like the LS idea more and more.
0 likes
3lturboArchived member
No worries. Like Adz said, depends what you want it for, and what you want from it at the end of the day. Yeah mate, the turbo side of things is easy, more than enough room for a decent sized turbo in there (GT42's fit nicely). Even if you were to start with a cast iron blocked LS (LQ4/LQ9 etc) you'd make a minimum of 600rwhp and that's through an unopened motor, with just headwork. Even custom made manifolds are only slightly dearer than CRS/Pacemaker headers. lol if you decide to go that way send me a pm and i'll give you as much help as possible. The e3's are awesome though, have you driven one? Whatever you do don't sell the wagon, it's such a nice car! Jay
0 likes
#adzArchived member
Hearing you on indecisiveness. I change my mind on tuxedo black or Venetian red for my sedan at least weekly. Same goes for 5.0 v LS. Prob doesn't help, but a bloke at work has an e2 clubby with a 7Ltr...wasn't a fan of anything VE before he gave me the keys
0 likes
priceysVLArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by 3lturbo [View Post] No worries. Like Adz said, depends what you want it for, and what you want from it at the end of the day. Yeah mate, the turbo side of things is easy, more than enough room for a decent sized turbo in there (GT42's fit nicely). Even if you were to start with a cast iron blocked LS (LQ4/LQ9 etc) you'd make a minimum of 600rwhp and that's through an unopened motor, with just headwork. Even custom made manifolds are only slightly dearer than CRS/Pacemaker headers. lol if you decide to go that way send me a pm and i'll give you as much help as possible. The e3's are awesome though, have you driven one? Whatever you do don't sell the wagon, it's such a nice car! Jay Im not looking at huge power just after a nice cruiser. I read somewhere that because the turbo manifold is flipped you have more clearance. All ive read about is the clearance issues with power steering, headers and the starter motor. And as for the e3s, I've driven one but we are now getting a lot more VE SS models coming in and most are maffless tuned. Always go for a squirt around the block but never really had a solid drive. Im also a bit iffy on the way the clutch feels compared to my vz. ---------- Post added 18-10-15 at 18:11 ---------- Quote: Originally Posted by #adz [View Post] Hearing you on indecisiveness. I change my mind on tuxedo black or Venetian red for my sedan at least weekly. Same goes for 5.0 v LS. Prob doesn't help, but a bloke at work has an e2 clubby with a 7Ltr...wasn't a fan of anything VE before he gave me the keys Yeah i wasnt a big fan at first but they have grown on me. And I'm sure a 7L would help change your mind haha. Tuxedo black with red interior and a LS. Phwaaaaooorrr
0 likes
#adzArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by priceysVL [View Post] Yeah i wasnt a big fan at first but they have grown on me. And I'm sure a 7L would help change your mind haha. Tuxedo black with red interior and a LS. Phwaaaaooorrr Is the ideal outcome, but probs not gonna happen that way. Srsly that 7ltr is holy **** quick. Easily the fastest car I've driven by double the powers and some. Apart from the cam which makes 1st and reverse difficult as to use, it's a really well sorted car, 10/10 would bang.
0 likes
BUDArchived member
looking good champ and yeah its hard some times to get motivation but try to think of the end product and you cruising in it
0 likes
priceysVLArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by BUD [View Post] looking good champ and yeah its hard some times to get motivation but try to think of the end product and you cruising in it Well a couple of things have changed in my life but the VL remains the same. I have moved out but with no where to keep the VL at mums place so she is still at the old house all locked up and filled with all the spares and 2 sets of wheels with the car cover on. Also out of rego now. Looking to get back on my feet in the new year and sort a new place to live with storage for her. Only other thing I have really done is look into the 19inch calais wheels. Apart from that sweet F A. I could never sell her.
0 likes
priceysVLArchived member
Righteo fellow A9Y owners. I need some motivation. If any of you have done inspiration seminars please step forward. This is my pride and joy, spent about 18 months slowly piecing it together only to drive it a handful of times. Was n/a auto but now LW5 MX7, all genuine gear. All the other usual stuff, cooler, suspension, brake upgrade etc. Now my circumstances changed for me and now its currently out of rego and "in storage" at my old house. This photo was taken the last time I drove it in about May. Its currently full of spares, 2 sets of wheels and basically anything else I couldnt bring with me to the new place. After seeing all the examples on here and other VLs not just the calais wagons, I cant bear to think of selling up because I can see so much more potential in her and in myself. The biggest downfall is my own laziness and the fact that Im a mechanic by trade and alot of the time I cant be assed working on something when I get home. So to conclude, Im sure some of you if not all you have been in this same situation, so what Im asking for is that bit of a kick up the ass to get this thing looking pristine as it should. Cheers guys.
0 likes
philbyArchived member
first of all start an ro for a blue slip and a few other minor things that need doing that can be done in a few hours after work and start driving if to work that will help
0 likes
priceysVLArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by philby [View Post] first of all start an ro for a blue slip and a few other minor things that need doing that can be done in a few hours after work and start driving if to work that will help Blue slip is no ossue,I can do them haha. No way. Not driving it to work in peak hour traffic
0 likes
Sign in or create an account to reply. New members are welcome—no purchase or old CT account needed.

Who’s online

0 members and 6 guests active in the last 15 minutes

No signed-in members active right now. Guests are welcome to browse.

Visitors Today82

6,422 threads, 42,865 posts and 632 images saved from CT

18.8% of indexed threads saved