Back to shop ↗
THE HOLDEN COMMODORE FORUM

HOLDCOM Community

Built around the cars. Kept alive by the people.

+ Start a discussion
Holden Commodores gathered at Holdcom
Forum Home›VL Commodore
VL Commodore

Dougs mint Vlct build thread.....

Started by dougall83 · 24 Dec 2013 · 212 replies

Preserved from CalaisTurbo (partial recovery). Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗

TurismoArchived member
I like the country cops less hastle, although a mate of mine had a cop car do a u turn after seeing his r32 Getting a wash out front. He drove it back behind the gates before the cop car came back and before a second popo car did a drive by. Must like the skylines there's only 2 or 3 in town lol. 18s would be the lowest diameter id go in Simmons, it just my opinion but I think they start losing there ratio of sexy-apeal as they get smaller and start to look cheap. But 18 should be fine. the good thing about vls is if you get the ride hight set up so your tucking the rubber at the rear and about 3-5cm of treat at the front respectively , you can make almost any wheel look nice. Have you been pulled up yet (touch wood)? Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
dougall83Archived member
Yeah ive been thru a breth station but breezed thru, Had the kids in the car too lol Yeah im at a crossroads with the car atm i wanna clean it right up but will prob need to pull motor out,and knowing what im like will turn into a large project! So unsure if i wana keep driving it as it is or pull off the road smooth bay and paint ect??? Its a really hard decision for me i love the sunday and random drives
0 likes
TurismoArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by dougall83 [View Post] Yeah ive been thru a breth station but breezed thru, Had the kids in the car too lol Yeah im at a crossroads with the car atm i wanna clean it right up but will prob need to pull motor out,and knowing what im like will turn into a large project! So unsure if i wana keep driving it as it is or pull off the road smooth bay and paint ect??? Its a really hard decision for me i love the sunday and random drives I know how it must be hard to have a nice driveline sitting in such an aged car. Sounds like you want it more presentable but not have to do all the hard work n go without in the mean time. Also you know that these things escalate easily. So you want to keep costs low, limit time off the road, and headaches. May be worth trying to find a nice stock VL that's had a respray or a rolling she'll? Due to some of the holes there will be variation in the quolity of some areas of the bay if doing it your self with limited means and time constraints. This will lead you deeper into the rabbit hole or you'll give up n she'll it. But once you commit your gone lol
0 likes
dougall83Archived member
Lol yeah I have a mate who will fix rust n spray in 2pak cheap, However u only get what u pay for! So a re-shell is def in the thought process around 5k will get me a pretty mint SL or Berlina I do love calais but the elec wiring is always a hassle as anyone who has had a calais knows 100% what I'm talking about! I also love mint SL setup s nice clean and easy to get working parts lol I have one of the hardest decisions to make and it's not easy to roll either way lol Then there's the wife! Well that's a conversation starter "I've been thinking of buying another vl" ha ha
0 likes
TurismoArchived member
Lol I love convos about cars with the missus. She has no idea what I'm talking about but as soon as i mention another car shes a *** expert on cars lol. May I like SL but it comes down to what you want the look of the car to be. A hybrid calais / SL is ****. SL's are lite, simple, and have window eiders and can be picked up cheap in good condition. However The calais is a calais, almost 100 kg's of extra wank and when your taking power to weight and trying to wind the jammed window back up at the same time things start to slow down.
0 likes
dougall83Archived member
(https://imageshack.com/i/idIRQrG1j) got cam now, thanks to ethan," MR VL BT1" so gunna put cam in and then off for a tune I hope it all holds together? the only thing that I haven't built/replaced is the motor, it has a 2nd hand long motor in it a6 but was in a vlbt1 so I have no history, and is going to a different tuner this time so fingers crossed, so setup to date is rajab plenum,550cc injectors,fuel reg,michrotech mt8,pro boost 35/40/82r xf throttle body,fmic,will have cam installed,rollermaster adj cam gear fully built trimatic,3500stall and transbreak ,locked diff 3:45,b&m shifter 2lt,surge tank, 044pump,stock lift pump vn longrange tank full 3inch exhaust that's all I can think of I really want 250kw so see how she goes this time Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
deanoVLCTArchived member
Hey Doug's can you give me a run down on what ya did to weld the holes up? Cheers
0 likes
dougall83Archived member
Quote: Originally Posted by deanoVLCT [View Post] Hey Doug's can you give me a run down on what ya did to weld the holes up? Cheers Hey Deano! All I did mate was cut the skin off a quater panel, measured me holes, cut peice out then put cut peice of steel on under side of hole and tacked from bay side,then just welded little strips around a little at a time to fill the whole join, Then grinded all the weld till was smooth, Was a little painful but I hate dodgy holes everywhere lol but a pretty easy task ---------- Post added 06-12-14 at 15:23 ---------- so I started to do a little more on the holes in the bay lol my bloody fingers r killing me lol im goin to buy a power sander tomoz ha ha still neds a bit of work but a slow process (https://imageshack.com/i/idu1USxLj) Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
deanoVLCTArchived member
What did you weld it with? What filler and stuff you use? You painting the whole bay or patches, doing it yourself?
0 likes
dougall83Archived member
Quote: Originally Posted by deanoVLCT [View Post] What did you weld it with? What filler and stuff you use? You painting the whole bay or patches, doing it yourself? I welded mine with an electric mig,on lowest setting it blows holes real easy and I did like 5mm strip of weld at each time, moving across the other side so there wasn't too much heat in one spot,all the paint/panel stuff I got from supercheap around $60 I just used general filler on all the big stuff then sand the **** outa it primer filler then a f@ck load more sanding lol, and primer and more f@rkn sanding haha my fingers r killing me, here some more pics, all done by myself hand sanding no power tools,and I have no previous experience at all so this is first coat after primer filler,then sand I could of spent a lot more time on it, but this isn't that sorta car, I love this thing but il do 100% work when I do a bt1 replica or walky replica lol (https://imageshack.com/i/pdkWaHibj) this is after primer filler and a really good sand,then sanded and another coat (https://imageshack.com/i/f0d6kmLOj) then sand and another (https://imageshack.com/i/ipzu5hzoj) then sand and another coat (https://imageshack.com/i/idLZUcg7j) then dropped to finer sand paper and another coat (https://imageshack.com/i/pcjkFpNjj) then color, this is maranello red from supercheap its a holden matched color (https://imageshack.com/i/ipbDDW9dj) then wet sand and another coat,this last coat il leave for a few days sand and re spray, then sand and polish, (https://imageshack.com/i/ip2QU7Phj) (https://imageshack.com/i/p7fXtbwbj) it came out pretty good, but I mean this is no show car, I just wanted the dodgy holes gone and to clean it up a little its a lot of sanding an would b a lot easier to pull the motor but for me that means forged bottom end, and my wife has just stopped having kittens from the 5k I spent on me new trans happy wife happy life Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
dougall83Archived member
Quote: Originally Posted by 350stato [View Post] It funny how you start looking at things as "not up to scratch" once it's painted, Colour sounds like it will be mint, cant wait to see that Yep before I was like meh it will do, now I want mint og trim too lol It's a vicious cycle but I love it
0 likes
BigM22Archived member
^ this lol wait until you put her back together, "oh these bolts are a bit rusty, better clean them up" "these seats are dirty ill give em a scrub, oh the carpet might as well too" "better give the dash a go over as well" lol it just snowballs all the time nice work dougs, best feeling getting your vl painted Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
dougall83Archived member
Yeah I can't wait I'm loosing sleep lol
0 likes
350statoArchived member
Yeah, I'm going through that right now BigM, everything is not quite nice enough, so I'll spend stupid amounts to but bits that are lol
0 likes
dougall83Archived member
Quote: Originally Posted by 350stato [View Post] Yeah, I'm going through that right now BigM, everything is not quite nice enough, so I'll spend stupid amounts to but bits that are lol Yeah I've gota pull me head in I wanna make power cruise this year so no more parts haha
0 likes
dougall83Archived member
the brand new garnish and grill arrived went og grill not the sv one I think it will look better, also some heat wrap for the dump pipe to try control the heat a bit (https://imageshack.com/i/pcvedYNjj) (https://imageshack.com/i/p7GILBxDj) (https://imageshack.com/i/f0zuS8EAj) Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
deanoVLCTArchived member
Loveeeee the garnish! How much dougs?
0 likes
dougall83Archived member
It was $239 inc delivery, And the grill was about $120 inc delivery, so not too bad I have another slip in me letterbox so I'd say head lights r here too so I now have everything, ---------- Post added 24-03-15 at 17:39 ---------- (https://imageshack.com/i/p5IIf70cj) headlight and new indicators came today yeeeooow getn painted easter w/end so to say the least im f@rkn hangn Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
350statoArchived member
oh mint!! Im about to get lights aswell, did you just ebay them?
0 likes
dougall83Archived member
Yeah mate everything was eBay trolled For me in nth qld postage can b quite expensive so I picked the free postage ones or got a quote first, It's been ages since I've spent a lot of coin on parts but the vl parts r everywhere now And it's been drama free
0 likes
Sign in or create an account to reply. New members are welcome—no purchase or old CT account needed.

Who’s online

1 member and 2 guests active in the last 15 minutes

Visitors Today32

3,683 threads, 23,233 posts and 227 images saved from CT