Back to shop ↗
THE HOLDEN COMMODORE FORUM

HOLDCOM Community

Built around the cars. Kept alive by the people.

+ Start a discussion
Holden Commodores gathered at Holdcom
Forum Home›VL Commodore
VL Commodore

Mystery interior control

Started by sleeper · 21 May 2019 · 8 replies

Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗

sleeperArchived member
Hi guys, Yawn. Been many years since I was on this site. Many things have happened, I sold my last VL in 2002 and now have a family with teenagers, but always had a soft spot for the VL's. When I had my VL I always wondered why there was a blank panel on the left side of the instrument panel, opposite to where the cruise control sat, where most people put the car alarm LED. I could never find any wiring connectors behind there when I pulled mine apart. But anyway I found a link to an old Holden promo video which showed some unknown electrical control sitting in that spot! https://youtu.be/fAid00jRbr8?t=12 It looks like the cruise control layout but with the second row of buttons split into two small ones. I am assuming it's a feature they removed just prior to production and that they used pre-production interior footage for this slightly later video (the turbo variant wasn't released with the original VL). My best guess would be some sort of trip computer, given the VL is the only Commodore which didn't come with one (VB-VK and VN onwards all had it). Someone on the video comments suggested the high-spec Camiras (hah!) of that era had a very crude LCD econometer which displayed live or aggregate l/100km and perhaps they were going to include that on the VLs?. Anyone got any thoughts, or even better know of someone who worked at Holden at the time who might be able to give a definitive answer? Thanks, Greg
0 likes
calaist5Archived member
Good spot. Think you may be onto something in relation to the camira https://youtu.be/mJQiYgMwho0
0 likes
TuxedoCalArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by sleeper [View Post] Hi guys, Yawn. Been many years since I was on this site. Many things have happened, I sold my last VL in 2002 and now have a family with teenagers, but always had a soft spot for the VL's. When I had my VL I always wondered why there was a blank panel on the left side of the instrument panel, opposite to where the cruise control sat, where most people put the car alarm LED. I could never find any wiring connectors behind there when I pulled mine apart. But anyway I found a link to an old Holden promo video which showed some unknown electrical control sitting in that spot! https://youtu.be/fAid00jRbr8?t=12 It looks like the cruise control layout but with the second row of buttons split into two small ones. I am assuming it's a feature they removed just prior to production and that they used pre-production interior footage for this slightly later video (the turbo variant wasn't released with the original VL). My best guess would be some sort of trip computer, given the VL is the only Commodore which didn't come with one (VB-VK and VN onwards all had it). Someone on the video comments suggested the high-spec Camiras (hah!) of that era had a very crude LCD econometer which displayed live or aggregate l/100km and perhaps they were going to include that on the VLs?. Anyone got any thoughts, or even better know of someone who worked at Holden at the time who might be able to give a definitive answer? Thanks, Greg Hi Greg, 1st of all - Great to see another SA member on the site, welcome back. Luckily I still have my VLC and my teenage son purchased a VL exec from me when I was doing it up to sell for a bit of profit. He now loves his VL and won't sell it. Maybe you could find another VL for yourself, a friend of mine is in his 50's and he has recently bought a very tidy VL Berlina non turbo. 2nd - great pick up on the extra switch. I agree that it would most likely be a trip computer. The only other possibility in my opinion is a wiper dwell. The VK's had a wiper dwell in the panel area underneath what you have spotted (next to the steering column) but potentially it was a new version wiper dwell on the VL range that was placed in the spot you have noticed. That's a long shot though. Trip computer would get my vote [Image in original archive]
0 likes
calaist5Archived member
On another note - I wish the Vl Calais had came out with the vk digital dash.
0 likes
TuxedoCalArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by calaist5 [View Post] On another note - I wish the Vl Calais had came out with the vk digital dash. Mee Tooo! But unfortunately the digital VK Calais dash had too many little re-occurring faults so they didn't continue with it on the VL in case they had too many warranty issues. I had a VK Calais (6cyl)sedan as a spare car for a while and the dash is awesome when it works. I had to get a few things sorted but even then it would randomly beep with a fault warning for a fault that didn't exist...annoying. I should have disconnected the audio dash beeper because the fault warning lights were not that annoying. My dad had 2x VK Calais sedan cars and both of them never had a dash fault [Image in original archive] There was a guy in the late 80's early 90's in SA (somewhere down south) that had a VK V8 Calais because he liked the dash so much and he converted the front of the car to a VL because he liked VL's so much.
0 likes
calaist5Archived member
I remember that vk It was black yeah ?
0 likes
TuxedoCalArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by calaist5 [View Post] I remember that vk It was black yeah ? I can't be totally sure. I seem to remember it being a very dark blue that was almost black but maybe it was black.
0 likes
calaist5Archived member
Your most likely right - I remember it in late 90’s and driving past it thinking it’s a vk and then looking in reverse mirror and thinking wtf (Vl). There also was an abortion of a Vp back end and Vl front or other way around at the same time. It was white and lived in the inner NE suburbs. Total throwup of a car.
0 likes
TuxedoCalArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by calaist5 [View Post] Your most likely right - I remember it in late 90�s and driving past it thinking it�s a vk and then looking in reverse mirror and thinking wtf (Vl). There also was an abortion of a Vp back end and Vl front or other way around at the same time. It was white and lived in the inner NE suburbs. Total throwup of a car. Yes the VK definitely had VK rear end with flat boot and rear qtrs and VK calais tail lights and VK Calais dash inside but VL front guards/head lights/bonnet etc. So definitely was a VK disguising itself as a VL. I can't recall seeing the VP abortion VL on the road. But that sort of set up reminds me of the VB, VC, VH, VK VL speedway racing stock sedans that would have VN/VP/VR/VS front or rear bumpers screwed onto them as they could absorb the bumps better when racing in circles around the dirt speedway track at Murray Bridge.
0 likes
Sign in or create an account to reply. New members are welcome—no purchase or old CT account needed.

Who’s online

2 members and 11 guests active in the last 15 minutes

3,210 threads and 20,402 posts saved from CT