Back to shop ↗
THE HOLDEN COMMODORE FORUM

HOLDCOM Community

Built around the cars. Kept alive by the people.

+ Start a discussion
Holden Commodores gathered at Holdcom
Forum Home›Technical help
Technical help

Engine bay temps?!

Started by Ajvx01 · 11 May 2019 · 4 replies

Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗

Ajvx01Archived member
Hi all, I'm about to finish my 304 turbo set up and I'm a bit concerned with what engine bay temps. Can people please post up suggestions they have found for keeping under bay temps down? On turbo cars especially! I'm trying to weigh up ceramic coat vs wrap vs reverse cowels etc etc. Any help would be great. Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk
0 likes
TuxedoCalArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by Ajvx01 [View Post] Hi all, I'm about to finish my 304 turbo set up and I'm a bit concerned with what engine bay temps. Can people please post up suggestions they have found for keeping under bay temps down? On turbo cars especially! I'm trying to weigh up ceramic coat vs wrap vs reverse cowels etc etc. Any help would be great. Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk I have a V8 VLC and I wrapped the exhaust extractors and took the rubber strip off the top of the firewall cowl trim so that it doesn't seal against the underneath back section of the bonnet. I also slightly adjusted the bonnet bolts so that the rear of the bonnet is slightly raised. All this allowed the engine bay hot air to escape through the gaps and temps to drop thus my water temps also dropped slightly. As for turbo temps maybe someone else can comment on that [Image in original archive]
0 likes
SilverCalArchived member
Can deffinately recomend Ceramic coating!! has made alot of difference for me at least anyway, i have both compressor and exhaust housing and manifold and dump pipe done, it's soo good, still need to heat shield important things like wastegate signal lines and wires but yeah its great!
0 likes
LeighCArchived member
Hello, I too am very concerned about under bonnet temps. My VL RB30ET suffers from cooked wiring & rubbers etc, I removed the rubber from the upper firewall to bonnet seal & carefully folded the top steel edge in the middle forward with a small vice & soft-jaws with out any damage, I then put the rubber back on & it is hardly noticeable & it now lets some engine bay hot air to escape.I thought I may of got some bad odour through the air vents & was prepared to divide the LH air dam area but its been OK Cheers - Leigh
0 likes
SilverCalArchived member
when i had an rb25 with gt35 and a low mount manifold which wasnt coated it melted those plastic vents at the rear of the bonnet lol, now with the calais and high mount i was worried about the factory under bonnet material but it is fine with the ceramic coating..
0 likes
Sign in or create an account to reply. New members are welcome—no purchase or old CT account needed.

Who’s online

2 members and 12 guests active in the last 15 minutes

3,164 threads and 19,895 posts saved from CT