Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗
https://www.onlinepublications.austr...ems/AP-R563-18 (https://www.onlinepublications.austroads.com.au/items/AP-R563-18)
I have been sent this from my car club.
You have to create an account to download PDF (real easy).
Going by what this organisation wants to do is remove vehicles from the databases I think that haven’t been registered in a period of time.
Doesn’t look good for some. Hopefully there is some way of getting clearances. For example in scenarios where you are restoring and will take a long time (been unregistered for a long time ) and who haven’t changed ownership.
0 likes
What are they trying to do mate?
0 likes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsa
[View Post]
What are they trying to do mate?
Hey Katsa,
From what I’ve been told and from what I have briefly read is that they are trying to get implemented is two things. This was dated a few days ago.
They are trying to dispose of cars that have not been registered for a long time.
For example in my situation. I haven’t changed the registration over from interstate as I bought a roller and it hasn’t been registered in over a decade.
So basically they want cars to be registered in some sort or they will be struck off the database and made obsolete. This organisation wants to follow other models overseas to discourage car theft issues and other situations.
So in a nutshell, if you have a car that is unregistered and refuse to keep it registered in some way, it will be made obsolete (registration numbers and compliance/ body numbers).
So I’m guessing in my situation, new compliance plates and registration would be given if you were undertaking a restoration.
That’s just my wild guess.
Cheers,
David
0 likes
I'd love to know who comes up with these policies/ideas
There's far too many people with far too much time on their hands
It takes the romance out of barn finds
Imagine finding a Bathurst Monaro that's been unreg for 40'years only to find you can't Register it. Your neighbours Mazda 3 would be worth more.
0 likes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsa
[View Post]
I'd love to know who comes up with these policies/ideas
There's far too many people with far too much time on their hands
It takes the romance out of barn finds
Imagine finding a Bathurst Monaro that's been unreg for 40'years only to find you can't Register it. Your neighbours Mazda 3 would be worth more.
From what I’ve read, this will be the case.
I’m thinking maybe they might issue new compliance plates and so on if you were to come across a situation like this. But this would put off someone like me and others.
There are one of two options they want to try to follow like other global models. It may be a good idea to try to search overseas forums and see how it’s affected them.
It proposes two alternatives to the current arrangements: Open Loop involving a tightening of the current arrangements and Closed Loop which would regulate the whole vehicle lifecycle from manufacture to destruction. Both approaches are currently operating in other countries.
While Option 1 will place an additional regulatory burden on registered operators who fail to pay their registration fee on time, Option 2 will place a more significant burden on any registered operator who does not maintain the vehicle’s registration for on-road use.
0 likes
I may be reading too far into this but from what I can make of this I'm pretty disgusted in the proposal.
If you want to be a collector and leave afew cars sit on private property whilst unreg untill the time is right for you to carry out your plans then you should be able to. It affects no one!
I just can't see how or why this issue would even been bought up. Is the point so people just lay reg for cars they have stored I.e revenue raising? I know other countries do similar to discourage one from holding onto the car for many years and encourages one to buy new to create jobs, taxes/duties etc
0 likes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsa
[View Post]
I may be reading too far into this but from what I can make of this I'm pretty disgusted in the proposal.
If you want to be a collector and leave afew cars sit on private property whilst unreg untill the time is right for you to carry out your plans then you should be able to. It affects no one!
I just can't see how or why this issue would even been bought up. Is the point so people just lay reg for cars they have stored I.e revenue raising? I know other countries do similar to discourage one from holding onto the car for many years and encourages one to buy new to create jobs, taxes/duties etc
I’m cynical too.
They are worried of a person that has unregistered cars, you may use those plates and compliance on another. That’s one of the reasons they want to implement this.
This will make money all around for business thus providing tax. It will also help them clean the databases up of potential stolen cars somewhat and other issues. It will also motivate people to get their cars finished.
I hope it takes a long time to implement this or allow some leeway for people that are partway through their restorations.
Hopefully it doesn’t take off but I will be watching carefully now.
I hope that if it did, you could ask for an exemption if you came forward before a finalising date. Even if they charged you an admin fee or whatever.
---------- Post added 13-05-18 at 15:30 ----------
Even when you think about it, how can they make you forfeit your assets like this.
It’s been done in other western countries though.
0 likes
**** guess I�m going back to nz then
Sent from my iPhone using Calais Turbo (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=78347)
0 likes