Back to shop ↗
THE HOLDEN COMMODORE FORUM

HOLDCOM Community

Built around the cars. Kept alive by the people.

+ Start a discussion
Holden Commodores gathered at Holdcom
Forum Home›VL Commodore
VL Commodore

What's your fuel set up? After advice.

Started by MUS · 6 May 2018 · 11 replies

Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗

MUSArchived member
Hey guys, wrong section [Image in original archive] and I should probably do a search. But hey, this section gets attention. (Pic for attention, not my car) [Image in original archive] So, I'm pulling out my current fuel tank from my VLCT, replacing it with a drop tank. Currently my external pump is a Bosch 044. I'm guessing the internal pump is standard. Once I put the new tank in, I am replacing all the pumps, lines, etc. And I want to get ideas on what you guys are doing with your set up. Or your recommendations. I've got an aftermarket haltech ecu, bigger injectors (unsure on cc they may get replaced soon anyway) Bosch 044, cooler, exhaust, small cam (again unsure on specs) I bought the car like this a couple years ago. My car will be getting retuned soon. But, I wanted to know what internal pumps are people using. Are you using the factory pump? Upgraded internal pump? None of the above? For the moment I'm happy with my set up, minus adding a rising rate fuel reg and new catch can set up. But I do want to upgrade my fuel set up while I'm replacing everything. What would you do or what have you done. Thanks
0 likes
KatsaArchived member
Will you run pump or e85?
0 likes
SkinkisArchived member
Currently in the same position as you, it's time to upgrade the old fuel system which looks very much the same, stock tank, catch can, single 044. Cheap and cheerful way would be to add a second 044 pump, and redo the lines. I've been looking into getting rid of the lot though and move towards a more modern setup with internal pumps, without the need for a catch can etc. Aeromotive has released their "Phantom System" which is available in both single and double pump option, and it can take E85, also has a built in "swirlpot". Haven't actually ordered one yet, but it seems like a very good option at the moment, a friend of mine bought one of these and is running it in his HQ with an LS3. https://www.aeromotiveinc.com/produc...hantom-system/ (https://www.aeromotiveinc.com/product-category/stealth-fuel-systems/phantom-system/) Worth looking into if you want to go internal pumps only.
0 likes
MUSArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by Skinkis [View Post] Cheap and cheerful way would be to add a second 044 pump, and redo the lines. I bought a second 044 on Friday, and buying new lines this week. I got to figure out what other blokes are doing with twin 044 set ups. Thanks ---------- Post added 07-05-18 at 09:35 ---------- Quote: Originally Posted by Katsa [View Post] Will you run pump or e85? Just pump at the moment. No plans for E85 or a set-up worthy of E85 for a while.
0 likes
KatsaArchived member
Ah in this case, I ran a 3lt surge tank, 2x 044's, 1000cc injectors, pierberg in tank pump, carter gold lift pump
0 likes
MUSArchived member
Any pics Chris? I'm thinking of doing an under car surge tank. But I have only seen one pic for reference (initial post). Not to convinced.. But I want to keep the fuel smell outsode as much as possible. Obviously lines play a big part. I found this in an ancient thread from 2012. I like it a lot. Quote: Originally Posted by Yeti [View Post] JD Custom one: [Image in original archive] [Image in original archive] [Image in original archive] From memory I think it wasn't lower than the tailshaft. Going by the pictures, it wasn't. Original thread relating to surge tanks (http://www.calaisturbo.com.au/showthread.php?t=262876) For sale here (https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com.au%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F163032069881)
0 likes
SII_TurboArchived member
This is what i have drawn up for myself [Image in original archive]
0 likes
MitchVLArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by MUS [View Post] Any pics Chris? I'm thinking of doing an under car surge tank. But I have only seen one pic for reference (initial post). Not to convinced.. But I want to keep the fuel smell outsode as much as possible. Obviously lines play a big part. I found this in an ancient thread from 2012. I like it a lot. Hey mate, I'm also looking at installing an under car surge tank for the same reason. I've got a JD Customs surge tank and have had a look under the car in regard to fitting it to the floor pan, however it looks like fuel lines and maybe even the brake hard lines to the back of the car may foul on it. I'm really not keen on modifying these, and am potentially looking at getting the Brightline Fabrications surge tank as it instead bolts to the original fuel filter mounting points. Just some food for thought, but yeah, if anyone has a JD Customs surge tank fitted, I'd like to know what else they had to do to fit it!
0 likes
SteveArchived member
I have a custom drop tank, which has been internally baffled, so no need for surge tank. The way its made, I don't even need internal/lift pumps, external 044 just plumbs into the side at the bottom
0 likes
MUSArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by Steve [View Post] I have a custom drop tank, which has been internally baffled, so no need for surge tank. The way its made, I don't even need internal/lift pumps, external 044 just plumbs into the side at the bottom That sounds pretty wicked. Any pics? Cheers
0 likes
MUSArchived member
Hey guys, while I'm down there replacing everything I want to replace as much as possible. In the future, wayyy down the track I plan on running e85. What kind of fuel lines will I need and what length? Also with what fittings? Cheers
0 likes
SteveArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by MUS [View Post] That sounds pretty wicked. Any pics? Cheers Hmm no decent pics, I'll see what I can do..
0 likes
Sign in or create an account to reply. New members are welcome—no purchase or old CT account needed.

Who’s online

2 members and 12 guests active in the last 15 minutes

3,177 threads and 20,065 posts saved from CT