Back to shop ↗
THE HOLDEN COMMODORE FORUM

HOLDCOM Community

Built around the cars. Kept alive by the people.

+ Start a discussion
Holden Commodores gathered at Holdcom
Forum Home›VL Commodore
VL Commodore

Arm rests paint

Started by Katsa · 10 Feb 2018 · 13 replies

Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗

KatsaArchived member
Guys has anyone tried painting the arm rests / grab handles on their cars(door trims)? Want to change from black to cerulean. Has anyone painted theirs and what was the result and products used. Cheers
0 likes
Psi_WagonArchived member
ive used the vht plastic/vinyl paint a few times on the armrests, its surprisingly hard wearing. but given that you want an original colour, that may be out of the question
0 likes
KatsaArchived member
Thanks for the reply mate, I'm thinking going a white Vht undercoat and crossing my fingers come time to paint the color.... Worth a **** I reckon
0 likes
NZ_GTSArchived member
I've used the VHT dye too - and it is pretty damn good - it works really well on the door handles and dash - but not so much the window winders. It is a dye rather than a paint though, so whether undercoating the parts in white first would work or not, I'm not too sure - especially given you're trying to cover black. Might work out cheaper and easier to find a part in the right colour.
0 likes
8bangaArchived member
I used OEM Paint it's what the factory used i have been told, had it colour matched came out great
0 likes
KatsaArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by 8banga [View Post] I used OEM Paint it's what the factory used i have been told, had it colour matched came out great What colour was it and what did you change to mate? Was it arm rests or the plastics you painted?
0 likes
XEC747Archived member
I took a panel from under the dash that had the least amount of fade to Paint mobile in Dandenong (close to work) and got them to color match. I tried to add some more pictures but f uck photobucket f ucking sh it....
0 likes
KatsaArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by XEC747 [View Post] I took a panel from under the dash that had the least amount of fade to Paint mobile in Dandenong (close to work) and got them to color match. I tried to add some pictures but f uck photobucket f ucking sh it.... Haha the old photobucket!! Did they make paint for the rest of your plastics or vinyl paint
0 likes
XEC747Archived member
I just got the one paint. Haven't tried on the armrests etc yet. https://imgur.com/a/2WklP
0 likes
KatsaArchived member
Looks great! Honestly looks factory, what it set you back a can?
0 likes
XEC747Archived member
Should've added that a few posts ago , it was just over $100 from memory and I'm sure I could've shopped around but meh. A pre painted console vs painted version. https://imgur.com/a/CDS1U Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
deanoVLCTArchived member
I’m thinking once you paint one part you will have to paint them all as the match won’t be perfect and the painted part is gonna look 30 years newer then the non painted part lol
0 likes
XEC747Archived member
In planning on painting everything so they all match with the exception of door trims and roof lining, but yes most definitely need to paint everything.
0 likes
8bangaArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by Katsa [View Post] What colour was it and what did you change to mate? Was it arm rests or the plastics you painted? Sorry Kasta have not been on here for a while The colour was grey and I painted it an everything in the interior it was about 8 years ago and had no problem with it falling off. I am about to do another set in the next three months
0 likes
Sign in or create an account to reply. New members are welcome—no purchase or old CT account needed.

Who’s online

1 member and 11 guests active in the last 15 minutes

3,683 threads, 23,233 posts and 47 images saved from CT