Back to shop ↗
THE HOLDEN COMMODORE FORUM

HOLDCOM Community

Built around the cars. Kept alive by the people.

+ Start a discussion
Holden Commodores gathered at Holdcom
Forum Home›Technical help
Technical help

Ls1 coils to microtech lt8s

Started by camo7 · 7 Nov 2017 · 13 replies

Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗

camo7Archived member
Hi. Ive been told to upgrade my factory ignition system by my tuner . Keen to get rid of the distributor cap and go coils. I was going to run a waste spark setup with a falcon coil pack and a microtech x4 igniter box to my lt8s ecu like wkd_vl has done (cheers for the info wkd_vl). I have been told though that i could instead run ls1 coils with internal igniters wired straight to the ecu using 3 ign outputs firing the coils in pairs (waste spark)? Cheers
0 likes
PSI086Archived member
I've done a set up using ls coils and wasted spark before wired to an adaptronic which worked well. I assume your ecu would be identical providing your ecu doesn't have the inbuilt ignitors like some of the microtechs
0 likes
camo7Archived member
Quote: Originally Posted by PSI086 [View Post] I've done a set up using ls coils and wasted spark before wired to an adaptronic which worked well. I assume your ecu would be identical providing your ecu doesn't have the inbuilt ignitors like some of the microtechs Ok cheers. It doesnt have built in igniters. Do you know if i would have to change anything in the ecu configuration to get it to run? Just so it runs before i trailer it in for a tune
0 likes
PSI086Archived member
You may need to send the ecu back to microtech to be configured for wasted spark and maybe adjust dwell settings. It would pay to give them a call to confirm though. I'm not sure why they don't give you that sort of flexibility like all other manufacturers
0 likes
Wkd_VlArchived member
I know when i converted to coil packs. From single coil on a lt10s. The car fired straight up. Didnt need to change anything
0 likes
camo7Archived member
Thanks for the reply lads. I contacted microtech and my lt8s would have to be sent back to be reconfigured which would cost nearly as much as a new one so i have purchased a msd 6al. Hopefully it should do the job.
0 likes
Wkd_VlArchived member
Msd 6al i was running with a blaster coil Before the coil upgrade. And i kept melting the rotor button
0 likes
camo7Archived member
Quote: Originally Posted by Wkd_Vl [View Post] Msd 6al i was running with a blaster coil Before the coil upgrade. And i kept melting the rotor button Oh. It turned up today so will give it a crack and see what happens. I have a bosch mec726 coil already so hopefully i can use it with the msd. Not 100% sure
0 likes
MorgzArchived member
How much power are you going for? I've seen a few VLT's with microtechs using multicoil setups and all have had issues in either start up, and/or missing under load. I'd give microtech a buzz and ask if they want your particular ECU returned for an upgrade first. Otherwise, the old MSD6AL, distributor and msd lead combo will probably be good for 500rwkw. I made 445rwkw with it and it never missed a beat on nearly 32psi.
0 likes
camo7Archived member
Only around 300kw atw for now. Don't want to push the jatco too far past that. I did talk to microtech and it would cost too much. Would be better off buying a new ecu. So ive bought a msd 6al ignition. I have a new bosch falcon mec726 coil which im hoping will work with the msd. Cant see why it wouldn't Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
0 likes
MorgzArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by camo7 [View Post] Only around 300kw atw for now. Don't want to push the jatco too far past that. I did talk to microtech and it would cost too much. Would be better off buying a new ecu. So ive bought a msd 6al ignition. I have a new bosch falcon mec726 coil which im hoping will work with the msd. Cant see why it wouldn't Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk Yeah you won't have issues with the MSD unit, I ended up using the MSD blastr 3 coil and they worked well as a combo. I've also used ICE but would prefer MSD personally - but each to their own.
0 likes
camo7Archived member
Quote: Originally Posted by Morgz [View Post] Yeah you won't have issues with the MSD unit, I ended up using the MSD blastr 3 coil and they worked well as a combo. I've also used ICE but would prefer MSD personally - but each to their own. Awesome. Ive heard of people using the standard rb30 coil with the msd so i should be able to use bosch mec726 coil. One way to find out i suppose... Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
0 likes
MorgzArchived member
as long as its tuned, they're fine - but yeah they'll need a retune if you switch between coils.
0 likes
PSI086Archived member
Quote: Originally Posted by Wkd_Vl [View Post] Msd 6al i was running with a blaster coil Before the coil upgrade. And i kept melting the rotor button I had the same issue with my crane hi6. I'm putting it down to a crappy trigger signal as we discovered the timing was drifting really bad after swapping to ls coils. I'd say the rotor phasing was out a fair amount due to this
0 likes
Sign in or create an account to reply. New members are welcome—no purchase or old CT account needed.

Who’s online

1 member and 12 guests active in the last 15 minutes

3,683 threads, 23,233 posts and 47 images saved from CT