Back to shop ↗
THE HOLDEN COMMODORE FORUM

HOLDCOM Community

Built around the cars. Kept alive by the people.

+ Start a discussion
Holden Commodores gathered at Holdcom
Forum Home›General discussion
General discussion

Borgy diff - up to the task?

Started by Morgz · 28 June 2017 · 29 replies

Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗

MorgzArchived member
G'day guys, I have to make a decision with my current build - to go a 9" or stick with a borgy. Powerwise, I'm looking to go up to 160mph - and a mid to high 8. I've used a built borgy in the past (31 spline axles, full spool, standard gears) and it coped 445rwkw no issues. I've been quoted $3k to build another (with the option of a harrop tru-trac if needed). A 9" is stronger, aftermarket gears, same mounting points, they're $4500. Cons - heavier, is it overkill, it's 1500 extra plus a new rear half for my already expensive tailshaft. Basically my question is, can a borgy handle the required amount of power to run those times? I know Lowey went 8.96 and 157 with a borgy. I'm running a LS3 with 82mm billet turbo and a transbrake so I'd imagine I'm generating a bit more torque than most RB30s - and this might be an issue. I plan on running a 255 radial - possibly a 275 if it'll fit. At this stage, I'm unlikely to use a slick.
0 likes
Psi_WagonArchived member
without having the experience myself, but i know of atleast 5 vl 6's that have gone 160+mph with a borgy. but like you said your gonna have more torque, so it may be better to got bigger. fk even the standard diff i had in my white wagon copped alot of clutching in 3,4,5th and it coped just fine lol
0 likes
MorgzArchived member
Yeah I don't think I'd bust borgy axles, I honestly think it's just the gearset and I've actually never seen a busted VLT crown wheel or pinion. I like that the borgy is lighter and I even think my 3.08 gears would work pretty well - really loading the engine up.
0 likes
XCHASEArchived member
They are pretty strong. My built diff went for about 100 passes then i snapped the input. Mind you it was only a mid 140mph car. Also manual so fair load.. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10205163509340841&set=pb.1038267718 .-2207520000.1498735856.&type=3&theater (https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10205163509340841&set=pb.1038267718.-2207520000.1498735856.&type=3&theater) Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
SteveArchived member
Im considering the same, and adding a TA diff cover to the Borgy. Although I've heard the panhard rod may not clear the cover? http://www.taperformance.com/proddet...p?prod=TA_1802 (http://www.taperformance.com/proddetail.asp?prod=TA_1802)
0 likes
VLWAGONITArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by Steve [View Post] Im considering the same, and adding a TA diff cover to the Borgy. Although I've heard the panhard rod may not clear the cover? http://www.taperformance.com/proddet...p?prod=TA_1802 (http://www.taperformance.com/proddetail.asp?prod=TA_1802) yeah the panhard rubs hard on the rhs of the cover, even if you grind the edge off
0 likes
SteveArchived member
You have one in your wagon?
0 likes
VLWAGONITArchived member
yeah had it for ages.
0 likes
MorgzArchived member
That many passes in a manual 140mph trapping car is impressive. Hmmm I'm tempted to run the stock 28 spline LSD and just see how it goes, if I get 6 months out of it, it'll have done well.
0 likes
joe185iArchived member
I've built a borgy for exactly 3k with new dana spicer gears, torque lock truetrac and 28 spline custom billet axles. I went with the billet 28's because thats what that truetrac will take. I'm confident in using it for 140mph. You're weak point with your power might be the actual diff housing/tubes. You can still weld and brace the tubes. A couple of persistent borgy people I know have had success like that.
0 likes
XCHASEArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by Morgz [View Post] That many passes in a manual 140mph trapping car is impressive. Hmmm I'm tempted to run the stock 28 spline LSD and just see how it goes, if I get 6 months out of it, it'll have done well. It had the whole works. TA hat. spool 31 spline. In the end i think it ended up having the tubes welded along the way and went though maybe 2-3 centers in the whole time i had it. 190ish passes. But that particular 1 gear set lasted easy 100 passes of abuse, It was a brand new centre when purchased. Have now mini tubbed it and went 9" fab'ed housing. Hopefully last forever
0 likes
VLWAGONITArchived member
With the amount of power and abuse you are looking at throwing at it, I would just go the 9". Sure its $4500 + Tailshaft, but thats better than spending $3k beefing up the borgy and then having to replace everything with a 9" down the track when it lets go
0 likes
MorgzArchived member
excellent information and advice as always, thanks guys!
0 likes
vltrb-0Archived member
Quote: Originally Posted by Morgz [View Post] G'day guys, I have to make a decision with my current build - to go a 9" or stick with a borgy. Powerwise, I'm looking to go up to 160mph - and a mid to high 8. I've used a built borgy in the past (31 spline axles, full spool, standard gears) and it coped 445rwkw no issues. I've been quoted $3k to build another (with the option of a harrop tru-trac if needed). A 9" is stronger, aftermarket gears, same mounting points, they're $4500. Cons - heavier, is it overkill, it's 1500 extra plus a new rear half for my already expensive tailshaft. Basically my question is, can a borgy handle the required amount of power to run those times? I know Lowey went 8.96 and 157 with a borgy. I'm running a LS3 with 82mm billet turbo and a transbrake so I'd imagine I'm generating a bit more torque than most RB30s - and this might be an issue. I plan on running a 255 radial - possibly a 275 if it'll fit. At this stage, I'm unlikely to use a slick. have a chat to matt - [phone removed] fitter and turner been making them for 30 years, great guy to deal with
0 likes
MorgzArchived member
What's Matt work on, 9's or Borgys?
0 likes
RB2GOArchived member
8.03 @ 170 mph BorgWarner with auto
0 likes
vltrb-0Archived member
Quote: Originally Posted by Morgz [View Post] What's Matt work on, 9's or Borgys? does both but probably leans towards the 9" stuff i just had a 9" built by him, used a reconditioned 4 pinion centre with genuine ford gears and built a 9" housing to suit standard vl mounts, brand new bearings, 28 spline axles with minispool nothing wrong with the borg warner stuff though just getting expensive to find now and $1500 for a used one the main reason i got the 9" built also changeable centres for me with the car being road driven and easy to switch the spool out
0 likes
MorgzArchived member
That sounds like what I'd be after, and I'd also use the VLT size as it mounts directly into the VS and gives me a bit more room under each standard tub. I'd be chasing a similar setup but with 31 spline axles and a full spool and maybe some aftermarket gears with 3.25 ratio I recon. I'll have to give him a buzz! ---------- Post added 04-07-17 at 12:51 ---------- Quote: Originally Posted by RB2GO [View Post] 8.03 @ 170 mph BorgWarner with auto That's nuts! What gears did you use? able to advise on any specifics in order to make a Borgy take that kind of punishment?
0 likes
vltrb-0Archived member
Quote: Originally Posted by Morgz [View Post] That sounds like what I'd be after, and I'd also use the VLT size as it mounts directly into the VS and gives me a bit more room under each standard tub. I'd be chasing a similar setup but with 31 spline axles and a full spool and maybe some aftermarket gears with 3.25 ratio I recon. I'll have to give him a buzz! ---------- Post added 04-07-17 at 12:51 ---------- That's nuts! What gears did you use? able to advise on any specifics in order to make a Borgy take that kind of punishment? he verbally quoted me built using "american" gear new billet axles 31 spline locked (can't remembver if minispool or full spool) $3600ish he's not a fan of the cheap indian/chinese stuff coming in
0 likes
RB2GOArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by Morgz [View Post] That's nuts! What gears did you use? able to advise on any specifics in order to make a Borgy take that kind of punishment? No comment lol PM if you end up going that way
0 likes
Sign in or create an account to reply. New members are welcome—no purchase or old CT account needed.

Who’s online

1 member and 10 guests active in the last 15 minutes

3,683 threads, 23,233 posts and 47 images saved from CT