Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗
So I needed to change the gear sector and rod in my vl steering pot, didn't realise it was as simple as removing the gear sector with some needle nose pointy pliers.... I removed basically everything but I can't get the steering pot off. I can't figure out how to put the selecting rod back in with it in. It appears that I've removed everything, but I still can't get the pot out?? And there is bugger all information on the net.
Any information is very much appreciated, I'm really racking my brains in over here.
Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
To remove the honey pot off the column, use a steering wheel puller from an auto parts store ($10-20). This is what your trying to do right?
0 likes
I also need to remove mine. Once its removed do you have to replace anything inside it. Bearing ?
0 likes
i dont follow what you mean, gear sector in the steering pot? u got a pic of what your wanting to get out?
0 likes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi_Wagon
[View Post]
i dont follow what you mean, gear sector in the steering pot? u got a pic of what your wanting to get out?
This little plastic thing on the right, sits behind the ignition barrel. When you turn the ignition, when the barrel turns, this is what turns behind it (mine was broken), while the sector turns the switch/rack is next to it and that goes up and down..
Quote:
Originally Posted by calaist5
[View Post]
To remove the honey pot off the column, use a steering wheel puller from an auto parts store ($10-20). This is what your trying to do right?
Correct, I'm trying to remove the basta*d pot.
Ok I will try that!
---------- Post added 18-04-17 at 09:31 ----------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wkd_Vl
[View Post]
I also need to remove mine. Once its removed do you have to replace anything inside it. Bearing ?
What do you need to replace? If it's just the sector, literally all you need to do is remove the barrel, then with some pointy nose pliers go in and get the sector out.... That easy. Too bad I didn't realise that before I dropped the steering column (removing everything along the way) thinking that was necessary to get the honey pot out FML.

0 likes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wkd_Vl
[View Post]
I also need to remove mine. Once its removed do you have to replace anything inside it. Bearing ?
When I overhauled my column due to the steering column shaft splitting in two and the steering wheel falling in my lap whilst driving
The steering column rod that split apart is held together by plastic pieces - look closer when you get a chance. I believe this was caused by using a hammer to remove the steering wheel I believe (all the shock goes somewhere).
This made me look into replacing the bearing because of excessive free play.
I asked around a lot and some people said that it was specially pressed in at the time. You could hunt around and find someone to press one in. I chose to find another honeypot that was in better condition because I was worried the bearing would possibly come out if not done properly.
The best thing to do was find a better honey pot in which I did and then transfer over all the good bits and clean/ restore the switch/ gear selector/ pushrod (mine was a little bent) and the ignition barrel.
The aftermarket ignition barrel (nice brand) faulted in two years. I replaced it with another one (nice).
Also a good thing to note is that a little tiny bit of free play in the bearing is ok (just not a lot).
Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
I just need to remove the pot so i can paint it from beige to grey
0 likes
Just mask it up and paint it in the car, that's what I did
0 likes
http://holdenpaedia.oldholden.com/Steering_Column
Please disregard my previous post of removing the honey pot.
Take a look at above link. There's a circlip. Old holdens are pretty much the same I think.
0 likes
18-04-17, 21:03 GMT+10#10 if u only want to paint it 4 bolts and a couple of plugs and u can remove the whole steering column and paint it out of the car
0 likes
19-04-17, 00:51 GMT+10#11 Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi_Wagon
[View Post]
if u only want to paint it 4 bolts and a couple of plugs and u can remove the whole steering column and paint it out of the car
Agreed, I followed T Matty thread
http://www.calaisturbo.com.au/showthread.php?t=78052
0 likes