Back to shop ↗
THE HOLDEN COMMODORE FORUM

HOLDCOM Community

Built around the cars. Kept alive by the people.

+ Start a discussion
Holden Commodores gathered at Holdcom
Forum Home›VL Commodore
VL Commodore

4wd Into VL

Started by THOR1 · 27 Feb 2017 · 11 replies

Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗

THOR1Archived member
Hi Guys, New to this forum and note I have searched everywhere and I can't find any info on 4wd conversion for a VL. I have seen that VLR Walky lookalike from QLD that JEM racing did but can't find any info on how hard is the conversion and what parts are required? Any links or info would be greatly appreciated. Cheers Lads
0 likes
MorgzArchived member
His names Huss Ghamrawi, have a chat to him on facey, or call JEM perhaps?
0 likes
THOR1Archived member
Might send him a PM on FB I suppose and yeah at the moment I just want to know the difficulty and what's required rather then waste JEM time asking silly questions. Thanks man I suppose he's not part of this Forum??
0 likes
MorgzArchived member
Not that I've seen. The best idea I think (depending on how fast you wanna go) but buying a full R32/33 GTR that's been smacked in the rear and starting from there. You'll have the majority of parts and theres a few places that do the sumps and such now.
0 likes
MUSArchived member
I'm convinced it had full GTR drive Line, sounded like a RB26 and AWD...
0 likes
THOR1Archived member
Just read a few more bits and pieces about it, yes it can be done but $$ wise just to be different its not worth it!! Basically you take 32 gtr floor and weld a VL on top of it!! There is obviously a bit more to it but in a nut shell that's what is required. Only reason I'm asking is if it was simple as in getting the front hubs from murano and making it work but it's such a pain that to me it's not worth it. Iv already got a built 3L motor just looking instead of tubs to do 4wd but not going down that path. Anyhow thanks for the input mate.
0 likes
Jet R31Archived member
its a ..if you have to ask..you cant afford it deal putting a chassis of another car ontop of another.. The 2 conversions done in the 90s used more commordore stuff and would be cheaper to do..especially if you used a live rear axle and even thats a.. if you have to ask..your dreaming type of deal Imagine rolling around on turbo hubbies on a set of 4 235/60 /15 et streets and a live rear axle with 4wd. http://www.starlyon.com/bugle/GTR-VL(1).jpg http://www.starlyon.com/bugle/GTR-VL(2).jpg http://www.starlyon.com/bugle/GTR-VL(3).jpg http://www.starlyon.com/bugle/GTR-VL(4).jpg cheers darren
0 likes
Psi_WagonArchived member
like above its been done before, but buy guys working at holden back in the day :P
0 likes
Psi_WagonArchived member
part 2
0 likes
VLWAGONITArchived member
I know there is a VR (I think) Lexcen getting around with an LS and the front diff out of an Adventura if thats the way you want to go ---------- Post added 28-02-17 at 20:14 ---------- https://www.commodoresplus.com.au/fo...-lexcen-build/ (https://www.commodoresplus.com.au/forums/topic/t3-vr-lexcen-build/)
0 likes
MorgzArchived member
yeah bit of a dunga though, and not that fast considering it makes a lot of power. It's the track/rally looking one yeah?
0 likes
THOR1Archived member
Thanks guys tubs it is, I just thought that someone figured out an easier way of doing a 4wd into VL rather then hack the whole car. Yeah I remember seeing one in 90's that Gibson Motorsport did and yeah too much engineering so its out the window.
0 likes
Sign in or create an account to reply. New members are welcome—no purchase or old CT account needed.

Who’s online

1 member and 2 guests active in the last 15 minutes

Visitors Today32

3,683 threads, 23,233 posts and 227 images saved from CT