Back to shop ↗
THE HOLDEN COMMODORE FORUM

HOLDCOM Community

Built around the cars. Kept alive by the people.

+ Start a discussion
Holden Commodores gathered at Holdcom
Forum Home›Technical help
Technical help

Ignition won't turn nor wheel steering wheel.

Started by MUS · 15 Feb 2017 · 3 replies

Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗

MUSArchived member
So I went to start my vl, all of a sudden I can't get the key to turn.. Tried jiggling it, moving the steering wheel, turning the key and jiggling half way in. Nothing worked, now on top of that the bloody steering wheel is locked too, so I got that problem now I have 2 keys, both are straight, no cracks/ bends. any help guys?? Thanks. **As for the title of thread, NOR WILL steering wheel** EDIT: All good, I just pulled the ignition barrel out, I'll replace it tomorrow. Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
SIrollerArchived member
i had that in a VN recently. I had to hot wire it just to get it to move off of the car trailer. no idea WTF caused it. we wd40'd jiggled and in the end hammered the crap out of it. still no go.
0 likes
calaist5Archived member
If you have a lot of time, pull the steering column right out and recondition. http://www.calaisturbo.com.au/showthread.php?t=78052 I had similar problems with my ignition a couple of years ago. I disassembled and reassembled the ignition switch, new barrel, changed the pushrod (slight bend in it) and changed over some of the steering shafts due to looseness. A common thing that I believe is when people change steering wheels, they cheap out and use a hammer (where do you think all the shock goes?). The steering column shaft separated on a drive once and the steering wheel fell in my lap. Vl drives a whole lot better now. Cheers David
0 likes
MUSArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by calaist5 [View Post] If you have a lot of time, pull the steering column right out and recondition. http://www.calaisturbo.com.au/showthread.php?t=78052 I had similar problems with my ignition a couple of years ago. I disassembled and reassembled the ignition switch, new barrel, changed the pushrod (slight bend in it) and changed over some of the steering shafts due to looseness. A common thing that I believe is when people change steering wheels, they cheap out and use a hammer (where do you think all the shock goes?). The steering column shaft separated on a drive once and the steering wheel fell in my lap. Vl drives a whole lot better now. Cheers David Thanks for that! Will do.. I've been on holiday, last thing I did was pull out the old barrel. I will definitely do the above, may aswell. Quote: Originally Posted by SIroller [View Post] i had that in a VN recently. I had to hot wire it just to get it to move off of the car trailer. no idea WTF caused it. we wd40'd jiggled and in the end hammered the crap out of it. still no go. I did the exact same! Except I pulled the barrel out then stuck a screw driver in there lmfao. Cracked it hard lol Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
Sign in or create an account to reply. New members are welcome—no purchase or old CT account needed.

Who’s online

0 members and 4 guests active in the last 15 minutes

No signed-in members active right now. Guests are welcome to browse.

Visitors Today46

3,683 threads, 23,233 posts and 354 images saved from CT