Back to shop ↗
THE HOLDEN COMMODORE FORUM

HOLDCOM Community

Built around the cars. Kept alive by the people.

+ Start a discussion
Holden Commodores gathered at Holdcom
Forum Home›Technical help
Technical help

LS swap in VL- registration and process questions

Started by PA88VL · 3 Jan 2017 · 6 replies

Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗

PA88VLArchived member
Hey mates, I was just wondering; A. what would need to be modified in order to fit an LS1/2/3 into a VL, either one of the three motors will be fine, and B. will I be able to still register it (In NSW) with the LS motor in it, or what will I need to do to it to get registered? I don't know what trans I want, was thinking a nice auto or maybe a manual T56, so any advice on that would be good too. Cheers in advanced.
0 likes
joe185iArchived member
I'm in the process of dropping an LS1 into my VL so I can help a bit. A. You can notch the rear corners out of your sump and re-weld them to gain extra clearance or you can lip your K-frame so the engine sits in nicely. There's a relocation kit made by CRS for the starter motor to be switched to the passenger side. Modified loom (few companies do this now). Engine mounts - Tuff mounts are best imo but I used custom made ones which sit the engine in a touch nicer with more clearance. I'm engineering mine in Vic so it's insured and registered as an LS1 VL. There's really not a lot to it.
0 likes
SteveArchived member
Im using the Pacemaker mount kit. Dont need to notch anything at all. Tuff mounts are too solid and are quite annoying...
0 likes
3lturboArchived member
What LS you go doesn't make a difference, as they are all the same dimensions and use the same mounts. It;s only if you go for a cast iron LM7/LQ etc that you have to change a couple of small things. I'd go CRS starter conversion (make sure they get it right), and Tuff Mounts on a V8 cross member (mine wasn't modified or notched). The six cylinder ones end up sitting a bit higher. Trans depends on what you're using it for. If you want to go manual you can run the factory 6 speed, or for an auto you can go glide/th400. I went th400 for mine, but that's running a built motor and turbo.
0 likes
OriginalGArchived member
1. You can buy the kframe etc kits to do this cheap enough, couple hundred. 2. Will need to be engineered in your state, complete over the pits etc. My mates in the process of doing he's, after the engine, the mounting kits, transmission, all the new wiring, its easier and cheaper to get more power out of the RB than putting an LS in and keeps it original. But if your after reliability LS it..
0 likes
PA88VLArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by OriginalG [View Post] 1. You can buy the kframe etc kits to do this cheap enough, couple hundred. 2. Will need to be engineered in your state, complete over the pits etc. My mates in the process of doing he's, after the engine, the mounting kits, transmission, all the new wiring, its easier and cheaper to get more power out of the RB than putting an LS in and keeps it original. But if your after reliability LS it.. I would build the RB motor, but I love big NA power, and major low-mid range torque for when I'm feeling lazy and don't wanna rev it out or just wanna cruise, also love the sound a V8 makes. The RB could have that power and torque but it doesn't deliver it the same way as the NA V8, and it's how the power and torque is produced which makes me want the V8, but throwing a massive turbo on the RB30, and some DOHC heads have crossed my mind a few times in the past
0 likes
MorgzArchived member
Im putting a turbo LS3 in my VS in Vic, but this can't be engineered as it's over the allowable power/weight ratio - even as a stock combination. Who are you going through Joe, as the VASS paperwork all says not allowed to exceed 20% of the max power the car came out with - in my case 215kw. I've used CRS mounts, v8 k-frame, new VS V8 radiator, glide, ls1 computer, ID2000s, holley 1800hp pump, 82mm billet borgy, 3500 stall.
0 likes
Sign in or create an account to reply. New members are welcome—no purchase or old CT account needed.

Who’s online

1 member and 13 guests active in the last 15 minutes

Visitors Today15

3,683 threads, 23,233 posts and 69 images saved from CT