27-09-16, 23:51 GMT+10#1
Its an 86 Silverslate Berlina with a 304 that has basically needed everything done to it. I drove it the 200 odd kms home from Melbourne and it sat in my shed for 2 and a half years
The Berlina at home and where it sat for 2 years;
[Image in original archive]
[Image in original archive]
Madeira interior that needs some loving;
[Image in original archive]
[Image in original archive]
So it basically sat like this for 2 years. I did some small work to it;
Bought a new battery
Bought a new radiator (Old one was cracked around the filler neck)
Got a set of interceptres and centrecaps and sprayed them silver
New tyres for the 'ceptres
Replaced a broken air vent and some other missing/broken interior parts
On January 27, 2015 Vicroads new rules for club reg were changed including the requirement for club registered vehicles to have a rwc to be registered.
So before this date I went and got the car registered - Vicroads was crazy busy that day as a lot of other people also had the same idea;
[Image in original archive]
So I went home to bolt the number plates to the car, however my Berlina was missing and it was replaced with this;
[Image in original archive]
I called Slo_BT1 to see what the note was about and why the car was missing. He'd hoped that it would take me a few weeks to realise that the car was missing and that my car club would be able to do all of the work they had planned and have the car back before I noticed - like Overhaulin.
Along with the car went a box of parts that I had been holding on to from a previous project - Crane Roller Rockers, Double Valve Springs, Chromoly Pushrods, a Romac race balancer, gasket set, auto trans service kit etc.
The guys from the car club bought a heap of parts too - so the car has all new brakes and suspension;
[Image in original archive]
[Image in original archive]
2 weeks has turned in to 18 months and the project is still not complete - for a variety of reasons. Until recently I had been kept in the dark, but as the project is near completion and everyone is sick of it I am making sure it gets done and I get it back.
[Image in original archive]
[Image in original archive]
[Image in original archive]
So the engine came out - originally to clean it up, replace the gaskets and fit the valvetrain components. It became known that the rings and bearings were worn and could use a freshen up. So the engine was pulled out, cam bearings pulled and the block hot tanked.
A decision was made to put an aftermarket cam in as the original one was quite worn out.
[Image in original archive]
A mate of mine, Trev has been swinging the spanners for the project and suggested getting a rebuilt or replacement carburettor and fuel pump as the old ones were worn out. So the old 304 is now sporting a new fuel pump and a rebuild quaddy courtesy of xtreme fuel systems in Sydney.
[Image in original archive]
The engine started first time and runs beautifully - it also uncovered another problem - the auto was overpressurising and pumping oil out the breather.
Trev pulled the auto out and it gas now been rebuilt as well as adding in a 2500 rpm converter. This is being put back in this week as I write this - looking forward to driving the Berlina and running it in.
0 likes
