Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗
Hey guys Just seeing if anyone has had a go at chopping down a set of vn_vs 28 spline axles to fit into a vl diff ? Is / would there still be enough spline left after cutting them down to vl length to still be used ? I'm sure theres other cheap *******s like me who have already looked into this and know if it's doable or not
0 likes
yep its doable and common.
make sure you cut bit by bit if you cut all at once you may heat up the metal too much which causes the steel to weaken
0 likes
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIroller
[View Post]
yep its doable and common.
make sure you cut bit by bit if you cut all at once you may heat up the metal too much which causes the steel to weaken
Thanks I'll get the vn set of axles then my plan is to use them in my 25 spline diff with a 28spline mini spool that iv he'd sitting around. Do u know how much spline is left after cutting. And I'll stick them in the cold saw to cut them down
0 likes
don't be cheap and get a pair off minus 20mm offset rims.
0 likes
Just picked up a set of free vn axles. Just by looking at them iv got my doubts on the amount of spline that would be left after cutting them down to still be worth doing .there is 36mm of spline on the axles and about 27 to 28 mm of spline in the mini spool anyone got any insight into this
0 likes
its not common, there is no way near enough spline left to just slide them into a vl housing.
from the 1 person i know that has done this it is alot of work resplining the axles yourself even IF you get it right
like 200series use the whole vn diff and leave standard wheels on or get different offset rims.
---------- Post added 12-09-16 at 18:04 ----------
VL VN
(http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Psi_Wagon/media/wrecks/08032008056.jpg.html)
Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
[QUOTE=Psi_Wagon;3071667]its not common, there is no way near enough spline left to just slide them into a vl housing.
from the 1 person i know that has done this it is alot of work resplining the axles yourself even IF you get it right
like 200series use the whole vn diff and leave standard wheels on or get different offset rims.[COLOR="Silver"]
---------- Post added 12-09-16 at 18:04 ----------
Thanks for the photo and the info psi . I had a look and I can see that 22 mm of the spline on the vn axles has a light wear Mark so there is 12 to 13 mm of spline is unused . I'm not a hundred percent sure how much longer the axles are if heard 19 mm each side all the way up to 25 mm ? But I did read somewhere on the net that u can't cut them and use them in a lsd or open center because they both use more spline on the axles then how much is used in a spool ? I'm assuming this isn't a fact but if so maybe it would work .
0 likes
i looked at it a while back cut some down, trail fitted them without a spool in and i would have had to get them re slpined and shaved down.
just brought new axles. waste of time and money to respline, just put that money toward good axles.
0 likes
Quote:
Originally Posted by 15nuts
[View Post]
Thanks for the photo and the info psi . I had a look and I can see that 22 mm of the spline on the vn axles has a light wear Mark so there is 12 to 13 mm of spline is unused . I'm not a hundred percent sure how much longer the axles are if heard 19 mm each side all the way up to 25 mm ? But I did read somewhere on the net that u can't cut them and use them in a lsd or open center because they both use more spline on the axles then how much is used in a spool ? I'm assuming this isn't a fact but if so maybe it would work .
25mm
0 likes