Back to shop ↗
THE HOLDEN COMMODORE FORUM

HOLDCOM Community

Built around the cars. Kept alive by the people.

+ Start a discussion
Holden Commodores gathered at Holdcom
Forum Home›VL Commodore
VL Commodore

mulkers' Berlina Turbo build

Started by mulkers · 10 Aug 2016 · 24 replies

Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗

mulkersArchived member
Figured I'd start a thread to follow my build. I bought the car from Flea on the 23rd of July this year. Picking the car up from Kyenton; Car is an LW5 MX7 Berlina buily in 1986 Plans at the moment are to acquire the parts to reassemble it and get it back on the road. It came with a heap of spares, but there are also some missing notable items (mx7 flywheel and clutch) which will take some time and coin to acquire. One of the items I found amongst the boxes was a/the original steering wheel. I pulled off the Momo boss and steering wheel to put on the original wheel; When I bought the car the front door trims in the Berlina turbo looked like this; I recently collected these; Now it looks like this; I will continue to post updates as they're made. Next immediate project will be to fix both of the driver's side window regulators. The front one is worn out and slowly descends, the rear one had a broken cable. Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
deanoVLCTArchived member
Does the car need a paint mulk?
0 likes
mulkersArchived member
No, paint is good, there is a couple of bubbles under the front and rear screens that will need to be fixed, but I don't want to mess with it as it was painted not that long ago
0 likes
deanoVLCTArchived member
If I had of known that then I would have made an offer! Nice buy once again
0 likes
mulkersArchived member
Cheers, will end up painting the bumpers and side moulds though - i prefer the MX Grey bumpers than the solid colour
0 likes
dougall83Archived member
Love it! Was going to say how crap the speaker holes were then bam! Looks killer especially once bumpers are mx����
0 likes
350statoArchived member
Very nice! makes me wish I'd kept on with my Berlina Build, Same colour but with the MX bumpers, keen to see this come alive
0 likes
SIrollerArchived member
more updates! my progress is so slow i need to live through these build threads
0 likes
mulkersArchived member
Cheers, I plan on doing the bumpers and side moulds in MX Grey when the time comes. Need to keep an eye out for a MX7 flywheel and clutch (can these be bought new?) so that I can put an engine in it. Want to get it running and find out what it needs before putting the built engine in it. Once it is driving I will get the other little things fixed on it. For now though I will not be spending a lot on it as I hope to be getting my Silver Slate 304 Berlina back soon. The Madeira Berlina Turbo has a faulty drivers side front window regulator and the drivers rear had a broken cable. I have got replacement regulators, so will be picking up some pop rivets tomorrow and replacing these over the next week. Also got some parts that came with the car that I am hoping to sell which I can then pump back in to the car to get it moving and get it on the road.
0 likes
KatsaArchived member
My old car!! Good on ya mate will come up great and good desirable tags too! Might I just add I'm very very happy with all the lw5 plated vlts getting build threads from long time ct members/posters!
0 likes
deanoVLCTArchived member
Mulk I'm certain I got a mx7 flywheel here under the house mate, dunno how much $ they are worth though
0 likes
SIrollerArchived member
re the clutch if you use an mf5 flywheel you have a broader and cheaper range of clutches and you can use a n/a starter motor. If i ever had to replace my clutch or anything this is the path I'd personally be going down. cheaper and easier.
0 likes
mulkersArchived member
Is it that easy Mitch? Can you just use the MF5 starter, flyhweel and clutch? I always figured that there was some reason why they were different other than for the sake of being different. Anyone know why? If that is the case, that is great as it seems a lot easier to get a reasonably priced clutch and flywheel
0 likes
AnthoArchived member
Look forward to seeing the progress of this build. Are you selling that Momo wheel and boss?
0 likes
mulkersArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by Antho [View Post] Look forward to seeing the progress of this build. Are you selling that Momo wheel and boss? I'd happily sell it, but looking on ebay it isn't worth much. I'd sell it for $40 inc postage
0 likes
mulkersArchived member
Just a quick update while I am waiting for the return of my silver Berlina For any of those of you considering replacing the rear window regulator. Stop. Look up what your VL is worth. Look up how much XR6 turbos are worth. Consider selling the VL and buying an XR6 turbo. Front window reg replaced and new door trim fitted Next up will be trying to get rear window reg installed. Any tips anyone? Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
INFLYTArchived member
LOL @ the XR6 Turbo comment. That's what I am pondering now...
0 likes
dougall83Archived member
I have to do one of the rear reg in my Calais keep me posted hahaahah
0 likes
philbyArchived member
fark man looks tidy!!
0 likes
mulkersArchived member
Car is in a mates workshop at the moment getting tyres and wheel alignment for roadworthy. Hope to have it on the road in the next couple of weeks Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
Sign in or create an account to reply. New members are welcome—no purchase or old CT account needed.

Who’s online

0 members and 12 guests active in the last 15 minutes

No signed-in members active right now. Guests are welcome to browse.

3,683 threads, 23,233 posts and 47 images saved from CT