Back to shop ↗
THE HOLDEN COMMODORE FORUM

HOLDCOM Community

Built around the cars. Kept alive by the people.

+ Start a discussion
Holden Commodores gathered at Holdcom
Forum Home›VL Commodore
VL Commodore

New build with updates!

Started by melbv · 17 July 2016 · 124 replies

Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗

melbvArchived member
Ok, so I will be building a vl turbo from an na series 2 motor with the information I find on here. I'm going to do it with a 6k budget including the vl. I hope to put out 250-300rwkw. I'm ok with a spanner, can pull things apart usually by breaking them when I can't figure out how it comes off lol, and when I put things back together I'm fortunate enough to have extra bolts lying around which the car makers included as spares haha!! I'm going to be doing most of the work myself except for the tuning, and if my tuner believes I need the engine rebuilt I will put it apart and send the block off to be reassembled. So far I have a high flowed T3 turbo, stock vl turbo exhaust manifold, microtech lt12s computer, vl turbo diff, 3" dump pipe, n/a plenum. On the hunt for more parts. Any input will be greatly appreciated, I will update as I go along. Lt12s $500 Turbo, manifold, dump pipe, n/a plenum $1100 Car with diff and box, n/a motor $2000
0 likes
joe185iArchived member
Definitely possible depending on what kind of T3 high flow it is. Some go 300 and some go 230. Auto or mx7? Auto won't be happy with that power.
0 likes
KatsaArchived member
Good on you mate, get some pics up and detailed progress reports! All the best with it
0 likes
melbvArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by joe185i [View Post] Definitely possible depending on what kind of T3 high flow it is. Some go 300 and some go 230. Auto or mx7? Auto won't be happy with that power. I think I will go an rb25 manual box, can pick them up fairly cheap, much cheaper than mx7 and I've read they're a better box. I honestly hope to hit 300 with the right tuning. To be honest I don't know much lol, trying to wing it, but I think there is enough information on this website to turn a newbie into a pro. ---------- Post added 17-07-16 at 22:45 ---------- Quote: Originally Posted by Katsa [View Post] Good on you mate, get some pics up and detailed progress reports! All the best with it Thanks mate ! Will do!! ---------- Post added 18-07-16 at 00:24 ---------- So I'm running into some trouble with the microtech. Apparently it will cost me $395 to suit an rb30 from microtech and plus I need to buy the wirring and then I need to get it wired up, so they will blow a big hole in the budget. What options do I have here? The lt12s I have has no wirring so I need to buy the wirring and adapter? Then get it wired up. Is it difficult to wire up myself ? This stage could really make my goal a little difficult
0 likes
SIrollerArchived member
6k is a tight budget. I've found in my time tight budgets can be achieved especially if you say buy an entire turbo conversion and sell of parts you dont need. or buy a parts car and sell off parts. thats how the lemons racers and that get around their budgets. also budgets work if you have time up your sleeve e.g. you can wait 5 years for something to pop up cheap.
0 likes
melbvArchived member
I think I'll be ready in 3 months. I'm still having a lot of conclusion with the computer side of things but I'll get around it soon.
0 likes
200seriesArchived member
I think 6k is a half decent budget, power figured are deferentially achievable, unless you get a turbo or v8 car, good idea to upgrade you front brakes and obviously your master cylinder, like SIroller said parts car is allways handy, learn how to strip it down and sell / salvage parts you need / dont need. and is this going to be a track car or road legal ?
0 likes
melbvArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by 200series [View Post] I think 6k is a half decent budget, power figured are deferentially achievable, unless you get a turbo or v8 car, good idea to upgrade you front brakes and obviously your master cylinder, like SIroller said parts car is allways handy, learn how to strip it down and sell / salvage parts you need / dont need. and is this going to be a track car or road legal ? Road legal, I'll be getting brakes upgrades for sure!!
0 likes
200seriesArchived member
awesome ! well good luck with it and look forward to seeing updates, you have your eyes on anything yet ?
0 likes
melbvArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by 200series [View Post] awesome ! well good luck with it and look forward to seeing updates, you have your eyes on anything yet ? Thane mate!!!lol nah not yet but soon!! ---------- Post added 19-07-16 at 18:28 ---------- So a quick update: I have ditched the microtech path, by the time I wire it up, get microtech to reconfigure and tune I'll be laying the good half of $2500 and for the power I'm looking at, I think nistune is sufficient for my goals. at the moment on the radar are some good 450cc injectors, larger fuel pump, hi flowed turbo, 3" exhaust, front mount. I think I will come in under my budget and possibly closer to 280rwkw ---------- Post added 19-07-16 at 19:42 ---------- 50mm inducer 65mm exducer .60 comp ar 1.15 exhaust Is this suitable for a vl or too much lag??
0 likes
Jet R31Archived member
its not worth reconfiguring a microtech and buying a loom when you can buy a lt10 or lt15c for $950. turbos **** cheers darren
0 likes
melbvArchived member
Hey guys, I'm looking to pull 250-300rwkw, hoping someone can critique this setup. Large T04 660cc injectors Fuel pump to match Forward facing plenum Microtech lt12s Front mount Mx7 box and heavy duty clutch Rebuilt turbo diff 3" exhaust It will be running high comp setup until it requires low comp gasket. Could this pull close to 300rwkw? Anything else you guys think I'll need?
0 likes
qldvl5spdArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by melbv [View Post] Hey guys, I'm looking to pull 250-300rwkw, hoping someone can critique this setup. Large T04 660cc injectors Fuel pump to match Forward facing plenum Microtech lt12s Front mount Mx7 box and heavy duty clutch Rebuilt turbo diff 3" exhaust It will be running high comp setup until it requires low comp gasket. Could this pull close to 300rwkw? Anything else you guys think I'll need? I'd go gt35 instead of the *T04* Rest of it should be fine,
0 likes
Jet R31Archived member
Large t04 means jack ****. You need inducer measurements of comp wheel Ar of exhaust housing and turbine wheel size... All that to4 stuff is crap anyway..and its not 1990 something..turbos are cheap now for something Decent if you take the time to look.. You buy a stinky old t04 something..ill bet $100 its **** and will end up as a expensive Shelf ornament in your shed or home.. Cheers Darren
0 likes
MorgzArchived member
Like I know this bloke (me ) who's selling a mint GT35 for $1500! It'll do 300rwkw on 15psi Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
Jet R31Archived member
But does it come with steak knives you spamming ****..lol Cheers Darren
0 likes
melbvArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by Jet R31 [View Post] But does it come with steak knives you spamming ****..lol Cheers Darren 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂 guilty !!! Lol
0 likes
GOTTABEEArchived member
mate buy a wold 3d with a direct patch loom, can usualy find them for like 400
0 likes
mattladsArchived member
dont use a low compression gasket , just buy a set of hypatec pistons they have a few different ratios and sizes there only $260ish and use a standard nissan gasket instead. and for ecu just buy a nistune there super cheap, direct plug in and away you go no looms or anything needed. you can buy replica 044 pumps for like $5o on ebay make sure you buy a fuel pressure gauge and keep an eye on it using them tho . grab a cheap intercooler kit . all that will be around the $1000 mark then buy a brand name turbo gt35 is probly the best all rounder . 300kw with that is no problem and just about every r31 down at queensland raceway at the drift sessions is runnning a very similar setup all day no problems also get some pictures up so we can see what your playing with
0 likes
melbvArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by mattlads [View Post] dont use a low compression gasket , just buy a set of hypatec pistons they have a few different ratios and sizes there only $260ish and use a standard nissan gasket instead. and for ecu just buy a nistune there super cheap, direct plug in and away you go no looms or anything needed. you can buy replica 044 pumps for like $5o on ebay make sure you buy a fuel pressure gauge and keep an eye on it using them tho . grab a cheap intercooler kit . all that will be around the $1000 mark then buy a brand name turbo gt35 is probly the best all rounder . 300kw with that is no problem and just about every r31 down at queensland raceway at the drift sessions is runnning a very similar setup all day no problems also get some pictures up so we can see what your playing with Pictures will be up soon 😀 I actually did some research today on Hypatec and hyptech liquid forged Pistons and was told that the standard vl turbo cast Pistons are stronger!! So that vl kinda threw me off......... My current setup is good for 350rwkw.. There is a thread on sau and people have been running 350-400 and thrashing it with no problems.
0 likes
Sign in or create an account to reply. New members are welcome—no purchase or old CT account needed.

Who’s online

1 member and 12 guests active in the last 15 minutes

3,683 threads, 23,233 posts and 47 images saved from CT