Back to shop ↗
THE HOLDEN COMMODORE FORUM

HOLDCOM Community

Built around the cars. Kept alive by the people.

+ Start a discussion
Holden Commodores gathered at Holdcom
Forum Home›Technical help
Technical help

Worn window strips

Started by joe185i · 7 June 2016 · 6 replies

Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗

joe185iArchived member
Is there a replacement available for the window strips with the felt lining inside? Mine are becoming worn and scratching my windows when they go up and down. Rare spares dont have anything for it. Has anybody restored theirs? I was thinking about taking the moulds off and glueing new felt to them. Is there also anything for the rubbers inside of the window on the door trim? They're brittle and breaking away.
0 likes
deanoVLCTArchived member
Joe I think you are talking about the bailey channel inside the window frame that the window slides up into? Clark rubber, eBay etc
0 likes
bo5tonArchived member
Hey Joe, Like Dean said if you're talking about the bailey channels then yeah, ebay, clark rubber etc. However rarespares do have these, so I'm not sure if that is what you're after. Bailey channel is a flocked rubber with a felt lining the window... As a reference, the arrows pointing to the thick and thin are the bailey channels. The front has only the thick type and the rear has thick type on the forward channel and the top channel, while the rearward vertical channel has a thinner type. You can get "front" and "rear" packs from rarespares (http://www.rarespares.net.au/rarespares/SearchPage.aspx?type=desc&pno=0&description=bailey&brand=Holden&model=VL+Commodore&car=17L&productgroup=Door+Seal+%26+Rubbers) or ebay. These will supply you with enough to do a full door. If you buy a rear door one it should come with a strip of thin. If you want to do it the cheaper way, you can get the thick type from Clark Rubber (http://www.clarkrubber.com.au/bailey-channel-13mm-x-30mm-20.html), but they don't have the thin type. They have some thin ones, but I didn't like how they fit. They have it on a roll and you can just ask for how many meters you want. For the thin type, I got mine from Scott's Old Auto Rubber. He also has the packs, but because I already had the thick type I just wanted a few meters of the thin type. The thin type is code 350.209 You may also be referring to the weather strip, the straight hard rubber that is on the outside of the door which leans against the glass and keeps water out of your door. If so, you'll need to just keep an eye out on ebay or wreckers or on here etc. On the other hand, you may be referring to the door belts, which do the same as the weather strip, but on the inside of the door and are attached to the trim. Door belts are also available from rarespares (http://www.rarespares.net.au/rarespares/SearchPage.aspx?type=desc&pno=0&description=door+belt&brand=Holden&model=VL+Commodore&car=17L), ebay, scotts old auto rubber etc. Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
madrx3boyArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by joe185i [View Post] Is there also anything for the rubbers inside of the window on the door trim? They're brittle and breaking away. Have a look at this thread here for replacing the inner door trim rubbers with VY/VZ ones: http://calaisturbo.com.au/showthread.php?t=277677
0 likes
joe185iArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by madrx3boy [View Post] Have a look at this thread here for replacing the inner door trim rubbers with VY/VZ ones: http://calaisturbo.com.au/showthread.php?t=277677 That's exactly what I'm after! I wasn't sure of their specific name. That's the cracked inners sorted then. For the outers it looks like I might buy some felt from spotlight glue it to the mould. Edit: Thanks Deano and Boston for your help too
0 likes
BT1 SAArchived member
I'm just started doing my bailey rubbers which the backs where easy the glass came out of the bottom rail easy so I could move the glass to get the rubber in. With the fronts I can't seem to remove the glass from the bottom rail? Is there any difference as I'm putting a lot of tension trying to pull the glass out of the rubber in the bottom rail. Does anyone have any suggestions on getting the front door bailey rubbers in. Cheers.
0 likes
BT1 SAArchived member
To answer my question haha. Have the window almost to the bottom then just pop out one of the plastic clips on bottom rail with a screw driver and slide the other one out of the rail. I did the one closest to the back doors. After that the rubber channels install pretty easily. Then use multigrips to clip the ball into the plastic clip. Yeeep Yeeep.
0 likes
Sign in or create an account to reply. New members are welcome—no purchase or old CT account needed.

Who’s online

1 member and 11 guests active in the last 15 minutes

3,683 threads, 23,233 posts and 47 images saved from CT