Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗
Hey guys. I'd like to share my daily driver with you.
This is my 87 VL Berlina Wagon. I inherited this car from my Nana before she passed away.
ENGINE: RB20E
TRANSMISSION: 5 Speed Manual
DIFFERENTIAL: one-wheel-peeler
ODOMETER: 234000
Since I got the car I have applied a few mods . . .
Changed wheels
Removed resonater from exhaust
Changed exhaust tip (half of a fire extinguisher )
Added bonnet struts
VR/VS door pods added for 6" speakers (Tweeters in the dash instead of 4" speakers)
Shortened gear shifter
Changed steering wheel
Changed Head unit
Amp and subs fitted
Hooks fitted to rear seat belt bolts for tying down loads in the boot
6x9s fitted in boot
After the passenger side door mould peeled off just enough to jam in the guard and snap when my mate opened the door, I decided to remove all of them and re-apply them after a re-spray. as you can see some of the paint was ruined while trying to remove what glue was left.
I have plans for the future . . .
I scored some VR/VS leather front seats. They'll go in once I tidy the leather up a bit and get some S2 rails.
My dad found a Group A front bumper at a dump. Unfortunately someone tried fitting driving lights and mesh in it so it's gonna need some work.
I also got given a full Group A kit by my cousin. His car ended up in a ditch so it needs fixing too.
I swapped a corolla for another VL Wagon with an RB30E and extractors that I'm going to fit to my VL. It came with plenty of spares too.
Let me know what you think or if you have any suggestions!
Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
Looks like itll keep you busy. Keep updating man
0 likes
Looks Good but get a carpet shampooer and give that interior a clean!
0 likes
very cool man. im pretty sure that parts wagon has apv wheels on it. they were an aftrermarket mob which was primarily made up of ex hdt employes.
anyway good project be sure to ask any q's!
0 likes
Thanks for the comments guys.
@philby: That is the plan but I'm working on fitting some sound deadening under the carpet first.
@SIroller: Hmmm I didn't know that. I thought they were just regular GTS wheels off a VN or something. Do you have any more info on them? How can I verify what they are?
0 likes
wheres the build update photos!!
just scan through some old mags or google up apv vn commodores. you'll see the rims.
Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
I spotted the wheels too but it only has 3...
Do you have pics of front seats in the VL the trim is different
0 likes
Update!----------------
So I gotta apologize straight off the bat as I've been absent from both the forum and working on the car. I've had a lot happening over the last five
months. (Wow, has it really been five months?!) I've had trouble finding the time and funds to do the work I had planned with the car and seeing
newer posts than my original post progressing so much faster gave me the kick in the ass I needed to get stuck into it. So here we go . . .
We did find the time to get the rust removed from around the windscreen and get the windscreen replaced. There wasn't really much choice as the
warrant of fitness was due and the windscreen had a massive crack behind the rear-view mirror.
The rust was worse than I thought it would be once we took out the windscreen out and it became clear that one patch wouldn't cut it.
My Dad and uncle worked on it for me, both having a lot of experience in panel beating. It ended up needing three patches along the bottom and
the entirety of the top of the windscreen being cut out and replaced. The end result was great. The repaint didn't match quite so well but I'm not
too bothered by that. I'd like a fresh coat of pant for the whole car later anyway.
My new workmate is going to sell me some new wheels. They're similar to the current ones but they're 17 inch and easier and cheaper to find tyres for.
I just have to find some centre caps that fit ROH wheels.
They look MAAAAAAD!!!!
A Hare (Like a rabbit, but a giant mutant version) ran out in front of my car while I was sitting at 100 km/h. The bottom of the bumper was smashed off.
It sucks, but its good too, because I'd have to cut that piece off to fit the group A front spoiler anyway so that's happening. My dad is gonna teach me
some fiberglass skills so I can mount it.
But until then . . .
Replies!----------------
@SIroller: Sorry It's late and not very substantial, but here you go! Also I looked it up and they are indeed the same looking wheels:
https://scontent-syd2-1.xx.fbcdn.net...9e&oe=58DF06F3 (https://scontent-syd2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/643948_490350091010987_51311438_n.jpg?oh=df5e5ab75105bed3ea0d51dbbac7af9e&oe=58DF06F3) (Off an APR VL turbo apparently)
If you had any idea of how I could verify if they're legit or not, I'll look into them. I'd be selling them though; they're a bit small for my taste.
@Antho: We have a set of 4. One tyre was flat so a steelie took its place. Plus a hubcap for a laugh.
Are you referring to the trim in the blue VL?
Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes