Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗
Hi all,
Im thinking about the possibility of removing and replacing my volts, water temp and tach. gauges in my VL.
I want to actually remove the smaller gauges and fit in 2" Speco or Autometer in there.
Im guessing the temp and volts are no big issue as they are components and able to be removed easily, but the RPM ... does the ECU need the normal one there to get its readings?
i guess likewise with any of the others.
I know speedo has a tiny peice of reflective tape or paint on it that reflects a tiny light from a sensor, because mine was throwing error on speed sensor, and i cleaned that and the error code went away, so thats def needed,
I also have read a bit on the fuel gauge, although mines running fine now, i know if i ever wanted to replace that i would need to get one with similar Ohms or use the sender unit that comes with the gauge. but at the moment, im mainly concerned with water temp and volts (im running a SPAL thermo fan with custom shroud - takes a bit of power and wanted an accurate reading, likewise with water).
Anyways, cheers
0 likes
I put a digital volts gauge in the factory space. [13.08]
Worked great just soldered the pos and neg to the board. With a bit of glue and bit tape to keep the wiring in place. I used dark card board and cut down the fine plastic bracket and put them in as well. no light bleed was great!!
it looked factory as fk- display green (note it was more sensitive than an external gauge wired in to the loom, as it relied on the old circuitry of the dash.. meaning it fluctuated frequently also could be a **** battery I had at the time..
only issue was it was to bright at night! but the concept worked well. I sold the dash.
ended up going factory again. I wouldn't go putting 2" gauges n **** in the dash. will look like aids with mixed gear in there.
its a lot of work. but if you realy want to play around make sure you have a spare dash to go back in if it ****s up. GL
---------- Post added 13-02-16 at 07:17 ----------
measure it and buy one off ebay only cost 2-4 dollars. and two wire. could mount it any where.
0 likes
ok, thanks bloke.
you got a pic ?
yea, i have a second dash, but its an SL one, ive been using it to make my berlina one all functional....
hmmm, yea, everything works at the moment, i just dont trust the volts at all, coz it will be reading kinda low, give the dash a tap and it moves right up again.... i know its uber sensitive in the gauges, but still seems like its getting stuck or something.
the tacho is kinda sloppy too in its response, and it will show almost no RPM after u rev and let off, but you know its still running....
I kinda wanted to avoid plastering new gauges all over the place, already have 3x in my sunglasses holder.
Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes