Back to shop ↗
THE HOLDEN COMMODORE FORUM

HOLDCOM Community

Built around the cars. Kept alive by the people.

+ Start a discussion
Holden Commodores gathered at Holdcom
Forum Home›VL Commodore
VL Commodore

Catch can setup

Started by TUF:03T · 8 Dec 2015 · 15 replies

Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗

TUF:03TArchived member
What does everyone do for catch can set up, I currently use 2x 5/8 breather hoses out of standard position into 1.5 litre catch can with top k&n breather, then has a drain back which tees into turbo drain to sump, my issue is it still blows enough oil out the breather to make a big mess, can anyone help
0 likes
TUF:03TArchived member
Come on guys some one must have experience with rb30 pumping too much oil to the head
0 likes
jbrnr21Archived member
All I can think of is piston rings or glazed bores mate, either that or your turbo drain pipe is pressurising from a dodgy turbo? Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk
0 likes
TUF:03TArchived member
It is making around 440hp on 22psi so engine is healthy, was thinking maybe to much crankcase pressure making it difficult for oil to get down from head, Was looking to install -12 line from front end of Tappett cover to sump above oil level?
0 likes
dougall83Archived member
I run dual -10 fittings but don't run back to sump, and 5-6 runs at drags my forged motor only blows by 1litre but I run e85 and around 26-27psi U will always get some blow by but how much do u think is a lot? R u still on 98pump?
0 likes
Psi_WagonArchived member
lol because its making power its healthy? my wagon still smashes tyres at 110kph with a cracked head and low comp in 3 cylinders...... as above you will always get a little oil vapour, but i ran my engine for 6+ years, never emptied the catchcan and it had about 100ml of oil before the head went so i think you have bigger issues. if you have no blockages in your oil system, your gonna need a bottom end rebuild cos u got some mad blowby. i would never advise someone to run there catchcan back to the sump either, all your doing is introducing water into your oil through condensation.
0 likes
TUF:03TArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by dougall83 [View Post] I run dual -10 fittings but don't run back to sump, and 5-6 runs at drags my forged motor only blows by 1litre but I run e85 and around 26-27psi U will always get some blow by but how much do u think is a lot? R u still on 98pump? It's more that it pushes it out of the can, it drains back so I'm unsure, I'm going to block of the drain back and monitor it, it is also on e85
0 likes
dougall83Archived member
As psi wagon said I think if ur oil line isn't blocked u have a problem
0 likes
MorgzArchived member
I run a small 1L catch can and had problems with oil coming out the catch can. I ended up getting a -12 fitting from rocker cover to sump in the back lower corner of the rocker cover and in the front and then stuck steel wool in the catch can to separate the oil from the air. Pushing 30psi all day every day, and it's only at the track I get oil in the can - but so far with the big return lines I haven't had any issues.
0 likes
calaist5Archived member
I had an engine rebuild (basic) 25,000 km ago. Both hoses off rocker cover to a breathable catch can. At the start, I was seeing a litre every 1000km when putting my foot down a lot on high boost (normal driving would see the can close to empty of course). It has gradually slowed down to around 50-60 ml every 1000km and this is with the same sort of driving. I have noticed that if I overfill with oil by just a little, I do notice a little more at times. I plan to get a catch can made and installed this week with dash-10 fittings and then route two hoses from rocker cover to the can. From a lot of searching online, I see some people have made another hose from can to the intake near the turbo, what are people's thoughts? Hope that helps tuf03t ---------- Post added 13-12-15 at 17:33 ---------- Quote: Originally Posted by Morgz [View Post] I run a small 1L catch can and had problems with oil coming out the catch can. I ended up getting a -12 fitting from rocker cover to sump in the back lower corner of the rocker cover and in the front and then stuck steel wool in the catch can to separate the oil from the air. Pushing 30psi all day every day, and it's only at the track I get oil in the can - but so far with the big return lines I haven't had any issues. Hey Morgz, from a lot of searching online, I see that once people go bigger with their hoses, It makes the difference.
0 likes
MorgzArchived member
Yeah the problem is with high RPM and boost the RB30s will pump a lot of oil into the head and you need to get it back down to the sump, otherwise it's all going to flow over into your catch can. People either restrict the oil going into the head, or you make it easier for the oil to drain back to the sump.
0 likes
calaist5Archived member
The following pictures are what my mechanic has done. I am yet to really take it for a long drive. The only down side I have noticed driving home was, there was a slight whistle sound (no it's not the turbo lol). I am guessing this is air entering the induction Pipe near the turbo. What are people's thoughts? The inside with baffles (http://s799.photobucket.com/user/calaist5/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsog6[oijaa.jpeg.html) Included is a section to make it serviceable (I added some stainless steel wool in the middle) and a tap (http://s799.photobucket.com/user/calaist5/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsozypzvao.jpeg.html) This is the induction pipe with a -10 fitting which accommodates outlet from catch can. (http://s799.photobucket.com/user/calaist5/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsad1v5u32.jpeg.html) ---------- Post added 31-12-15 at 16:54 ---------- Finished setup (http://s799.photobucket.com/user/calaist5/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps89exd1pl.jpeg.html) Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
MorgzArchived member
That'll work!
0 likes
calaist5Archived member
Just clicked 1100kms and haven't lost a drop yet. Should have went bigger breather hoses from the start.
0 likes
HTURBOArchived member
Hi TUF:03T (http://www.calaisturbo.com.au/member.php?u=2502). Can you send us a picture of how you have it setup up.
0 likes
ido09sArchived member
you will probably also find that the pressure in the crank case was pushing oil up the drain from the can to the turbo drain. You would have been better off putting a one way valve on it to stop it from pumping out of the sump.
0 likes
Sign in or create an account to reply. New members are welcome—no purchase or old CT account needed.

Who’s online

1 member and 4 guests active in the last 15 minutes

Visitors Today32

3,683 threads, 23,233 posts and 227 images saved from CT