Back to shop ↗
THE HOLDEN COMMODORE FORUM

HOLDCOM Community

Built around the cars. Kept alive by the people.

+ Start a discussion
Holden Commodores gathered at Holdcom
Forum Home›Technical help
Technical help

Anyone got shortened diff? What width to go?

Started by Shifty · 24 Nov 2015 · 6 replies

Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗

ShiftyArchived member
Hi guys Shortening VN diff for VL. Want to keep discs. How far can I go? Internet says VL = 1520mm and most posts I've seen say shorten 40mm from standard (1520mm-80mm = 1440mm total). Internet says VN = 1560mm so for the same width as above I'd need to shorten 60m/side (1560mm-120mm = 1440mm total). Can anyone confirm this? Can I go narrower KEEPING discs? Wheel fitment and moving moving shock mounts slightly not a problem. Really just interested in caliper clearance. Would really like to hear from someone that's done it and/or can measure their shortened diff for me, but any feedback appreciated.
0 likes
cava454Archived member
Why don't u buy a disk brake VL diff instead?!
0 likes
SteveArchived member
Buy VL drum diff, bolt VN calipers/discs to it???
0 likes
VLWAGONITArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by Steve [View Post] Buy VL drum diff, bolt VN calipers/discs to it??? have to change axle seals as well to disk brake seals
0 likes
RB-GEMArchived member
You can go up to 45mm on a vl length diff and keep the standard discs and calipers . It will be FA between the caliper and shock . Took 70 mm out of each side on mine and had to go to drums . Stops fine , using VZ front brakes and VT master/booster
0 likes
ShiftyArchived member
Thanks mate. At 45mm are there any other clearance issues? Looking quickly I was worried about the rail to caliper clearance. Not sure if you first guys followed my original post. I want a diff that I'd narrower than standard, so why buy a $1k VLT diff and chop that up when I can start with a $50 one from a VN?
0 likes
Wkd_VlArchived member
i went 50mm and had to use drums. as the caliper was hitting the shock
0 likes
Sign in or create an account to reply. New members are welcome—no purchase or old CT account needed.

Who’s online

1 member and 4 guests active in the last 15 minutes

Visitors Today32

3,683 threads, 23,233 posts and 226 images saved from CT