23-11-15, 15:25 GMT+10#1
Hey guys,
as some will know my little runabout classic was involved in an accident and I've been looking for something new.
Pics and details here: (http://www.calaisturbo.com.au/showthread.php?t=273393)
after many many many months of searching everything available in VIC and inspecting many cars (most of which ended up being SIGNIFICANTLY not as described!) I stumbled across a VN Berlina 5l powerpack.
StatsFactory 5l Auto
LSD (tested and confirmed locking!)
Powerpack: cruise / mirrors / fast glass
Long range Tank
FE2 suspension
Its alpine white and very stock. it came with some history and via this I was able to track down 5 owners. the seller told me it was his uncles before him so if this is true it adds another owner maybe (the owner was itlian and the previous owner didn;'t have an italian last name) nd theres also a 40,000km gap in servicing between the first owner (Rankin diesel service bayswater) and being traded in at heritage Holden lilydale.
The car was sold new at Noel Dwight Holden in lilydale and was later traded in there under it's new name Heritage Holden.
suprisingly the car has lasted well with minor mods inc:cd player
VL Calais rims removed and fitted with bald chasers
throttle body to inlet mani spacer (the seller said it added extra KW "rolleyes" )
debadged
new rear half of the exhaust
Apart from that it presents as stick including stock speakers stock suspension stock intake box (no filter) stock body etc.
I paid 2600 and it came with a boot full of parts including a spare block and about 5 metres of grey VL Calais material (same as VN Berlina)
A RW check revealed it needed:wiper blades
possible oil leak
brakes
tyres
a few globes and a few other bits and bobs.
The only real issue was the oil leak. I scrubbed under the car and there was no real evidence of a leak but when i flushed the engine for an oil change using a cap full of kerosene in the old oil and letting the car run i must have dislodged whatever was stopping the leak as it started dripping noticably.
I changed the oil and put in some engine revitaliser which on the side of the bottle promised to clog leaks. i didn't have a lot of time to let the revitaliser do its work and settle into the seals so I rang vicroads and the only obstacle I had to overcome from what i could see was the dripping on the road sirface.
it was leaking from the timing cover so i did the cheeky thing and purchased a sum bash plate so theres no oil leaking on the ground now!
I've since sourced:
VN SV5000 rims
VN Calais joystick tapedeck (series 1 specific)
VP parcel shelf
spare set of window surrounds
plans are to get the car to an everyday driver reliability status. I'll tint windows regas a/c get the cruise cotrol working and tidy it up. I chose the sv5000 rims as theyre era correct and if i drive it and park it in city parking lots and bac streets and the like theyre unlikely to be a theft target (whereas vl calais rims which were the factory rim for this car would lose centreaps in a flash!)
The vn ss had factory blackout window surrounds so i'm doing that to a spare set.
Thats sort of it for the moment. it's had a few heating issues due to having had water sitting in the radiator long term and lots of general tidying up to do.
as purchased
(http://s185.photobucket.com/user/SIroller/media/VN5l/20150919_135337.jpg.html)
factory 5l FE2
(http://s185.photobucket.com/user/SIroller/media/VN5l/20151120_134905.jpg.html)
the inspiration!
(http://s185.photobucket.com/user/SIroller/media/VN5l/20150917_162050.jpg.html)
rebuilding and polishing brakes
(http://s185.photobucket.com/user/SIroller/media/VN5l/20150916_212615.jpg.html)
25 years of finger oil and dirt
(http://s185.photobucket.com/user/SIroller/media/VN5l/20150919_182642.jpg.html)
service items
(http://s185.photobucket.com/user/SIroller/media/VN5l/20150923_105218.jpg.html)
so much gunk!
(http://s185.photobucket.com/user/SIroller/media/VN5l/20150924_094904.jpg.html)
back together and much safer than she was! new pads new fluid new lines new seals in calipers and newly machined discs ALL ROUND
(http://s185.photobucket.com/user/SIroller/media/VN5l/20150923_155859.jpg.html)
Registered and it's First wash. so much stuff kept coming out of nooks and crannies.
(http://s185.photobucket.com/user/SIroller/media/VN5l/20150925_181706.jpg.html)
Daily Duties. Rose st car park Fitroy Melb on a Sunday Morning.
(http://s185.photobucket.com/user/SIroller/media/VN5l/2015-11-10%2014.46.21.jpg.html)
off to work for the week travelling country NSW. Found this VN Limo!
(http://s185.photobucket.com/user/SIroller/media/VN5l/20151113_082131.jpg.html)
Bendigo Swapmeet
(http://s185.photobucket.com/user/SIroller/media/VN5l/20151114_145429.jpg.html)
Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
