Back to shop ↗
THE HOLDEN COMMODORE FORUM

HOLDCOM Community

Built around the cars. Kept alive by the people.

+ Start a discussion
Holden Commodores gathered at Holdcom
Forum Home›VL Commodore
VL Commodore

1987 Factory Berlina Turbo

Started by GMH-780 · 13 Oct 2015 · 21 replies

Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗

GMH-780Archived member
Make / Model: 1987 Genuine Berlina Turbo Colour: White Bodykit: No chance Engine Type: A8 3 Litre Turbo Engine Mods: None Power: Some Exhaust: Standard Gearbox: Standard Turbo Diff: Standard Brakes: Standard Suspension: 28 year old slop fest Wheels/Tyres: 15 inch chasers Interior: Standard Stereo: Rubbish Pioneer head unit and 6 inch speakers Other Mods: Zero Future mods: Built block, FR20s, sunroof, 33 box and respray Hi guys, this is my 3rd VL after a break from them of around 10 years. I previously owned an SL and a Calais, but this time I knew I wanted a Berlina that was factory turbo and unmodded. I looked through a couple of them and was pretty disappointed. Turns out, they are getting pretty hard to find. I was pretty keen on this one when it turned up but it was 10.5 hours away from me in country Victoria. I must have sent the guy 1 million messages trying to make sure it was exactly what it looked like in the ad. Once all that checked out, I took the punt and made the trip. 2 hour trip to Sydney airport, picked up a rental car, drove that 3 hours to where the car was. Picked the car up at 9:30 pm, then started the drive home. I thought I would just keep going until I was struggling and have a nap. I guess the adrenaline of boosting again kept me going because I got through to about 3:30am and then pulled in to a servo for a nap. I only managed about an hour's sleep and then drove home the rest of the way. There were no dramas with the car other than when I nearly wrote it off by almost running into 3 cows just leisurely strolling across the road at about 1am in some country Victoria one way highway. The car went really well and is a credit to itself really that it made it home without dramas. After all, it is a 28 year old car, and as such a lot of things are a bit tired on it. The suspension is shot to pieces, the auto is pretty sluggish and tired to change and the motor used a bit of oil on the way home but I am stoked. It's an awesome unit to build the car I want to keep for the next 10 years. I haven't got any high quality photos of it yet, however I will try and get some this week. In the mean time, here are a couple of phone pics. Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
dougall83Archived member
Mint
0 likes
3lturboArchived member
Looks good mate, looking forward to seeing more photos.
0 likes
GMH-780Archived member
Cheers guys. Yeah will try and get them up tomorrow if I get a chance. Absolutely getting smashed with work at the moment. 14 hour days at least for the next 3 weeks.
0 likes
CYNICLArchived member
Reminds me of my old NA Berlina Nice pickup man! If you ever want to sell that let me know lol Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
GMH-780Archived member
Haha, not planning on getting rid of it any time soon, but will do. The story the guy gave me (which I believe), is that a guy owned it who was working in the mines. He bought himself and his Mrs new cars while over there and told his Dad to sell the VL because it wasn't being used. Story checks out as the car has been unregistered for 8 years. I'm pretty happy I found it.
0 likes
BigM22Archived member
Perfect base for a project, loving the plans you've got for this thing
0 likes
priceysVLArchived member
Looks really good mate. Can't beat a white VL
0 likes
deanoVLCTArchived member
More pics or I'll shut down the thread lol
0 likes
GMH-780Archived member
Haha, will get my ass in to gear. The weekend is coming, i'll get some day shots. I promise ---------- Post added 16-10-15 at 09:44 ---------- The 18s are now gorrrnnneeee and excuse the wrong berlina/turbo badge positioning. These are pics I have from when I bought it. My car battery is now dead, but I will try and get it charged and take some current photos this weekend. Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
deanoVLCTArchived member
Nice and neat man, thank god those wheels are gone lol what did you pay if you don't mind me asking? Pm me if you want it disclosed
0 likes
GMH-780Archived member
All good. I paid 7K for it knowing that it needs a rebuild. I've already been offered 8.5 for it though. But that is irrelevant, I am keeping it 100%
0 likes
doctordanArchived member
Looks great. I looked into bringing this car here but I was worried about its reliability on the dtive home. Starting to regret that decision haha.
0 likes
calaist5Archived member
Well done. Where was it advertised, if you don't mind me asking? Cheers
0 likes
SteffArchived member
Well done mate nice find, Needs berlina turbo hubcaps asap.. Sorry but couldn't help but laugh at the badges. At Least its turbo, seen many cars over the years with turbo badges and its standard. Also if you get a chance could we get some close up detailed photos. Ie; seats, dash, ashtrays, carpet, seat belts, boot etc. Its the original little things that count. Thanks bud! Hope you enjoy your car as much as we enjoy reading your thread!4
0 likes
GMH-780Archived member
---------- Post added 19-10-15 at 10:52 ---------- I've also ordered some original Cerulean Berlina material for some front seat retrimming if I can find some cheap Scheel seats. Next up will be a whole set of new badges. The boot badges do my head in, I can't handle them in the wrong position haha. ---------- Post added 19-10-15 at 10:54 ---------- And also i'll be getting my plates on real soon too :-) ---------- Post added 19-10-15 at 11:04 ---------- Also I picked up a new radiator cap And I was shattered that this was missing, so I fixed that up Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
GMH-780Archived member
Not much changed, I am just slowly collecting pieces. I've basically committed to 2 stages for the car. The first stage that I am in at the moment is just chasing up all the little pieces to make it factory perfect. I've got about 30 individual things i'm chasing up. Then the second stage will be the modifying. I've picked up a Berlina badge in as good condition I can find and brand new turbo and front lion emblem badge. Also picked up the Holden, Australia's driving future sticker and some interior parts. For Xmas, I am getting everyone to get me Rare Spares vouchers as there are a number of things I am looking to get at that point. It's going to be a long process, but I am pretty fussy, it has to be as close to perfect as I can get it. Things I still need: Holden left hand side boot badge (Berlina one) Radio surround panel in Cerulean Electric antenna needs fixing Wipers just randomly come on. New wiper switches - very annoying Sunglasses holder in blue with no tabs missing etc Radiator overflow Sunvisor Clips New rear garnish Black Venetians Tidy up roof lining where some stiching is coming undone Window rubbers Quarter glass exterior panels Get my seat belt press buttons as close as new as I can get them Console trim plugs Centre console lid retainer clip Dealer sticker circa 1987 If anyone can help with any of those it would be appreciated
0 likes
philbyArchived member
looks mint!
0 likes
satansLBOArchived member
looks hot!
0 likes
GMH-780Archived member
Slowly working my way through the restoration list. Out of the parts list above, I now have found: Holden left hand side boot badge (Berlina one) New wiper switches Sunglasses holder in blue with no tabs missing etc Sunvisor Clips New rear garnish Painted the seat belt buttons Console trim plugs Centre console lid retainer clip Dealer sticker circa 1987 - Dwyers Wollongong And obligatory Calais Turbo sticker Still a few to get sorted but on the way
0 likes
Sign in or create an account to reply. New members are welcome—no purchase or old CT account needed.

Who’s online

1 member and 13 guests active in the last 15 minutes

Visitors Today15

3,683 threads, 23,233 posts and 69 images saved from CT