Back to shop ↗
THE HOLDEN COMMODORE FORUM

HOLDCOM Community

Built around the cars. Kept alive by the people.

+ Start a discussion
Holden Commodores gathered at Holdcom
Forum Home›Meets & events
Meets & events

1986 VL Build

Started by Psychotik · 1 Sept 2015 · 72 replies

Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗

PsychotikArchived member
Albeit me saying that I will never get another VL again, here I am. I quickly got bored of my VX SS as I ran into several issues with it… so traded her for a 1986 America’s Cup VL Turbo. I thought the deal was fairly good, however, I quickly learned that it wasn’t. She was starting to blow white smoke, I didn’t think much of it, and continued driving it. However I was losing a significant amount of coolant every time I drove it. So she got parked up and I got a mate to come round and diagnose the issue (as I had not a clue what was wrong with it). At this point it was discovered that the turbo had been hooked up wrong, by the ex-owner. This is where the list of problems started…  Turbo had coolant hooked up to the oil lines.  Head gasket blew.  Power steering leak.  Hoses were blocked off which shouldn’t have been.  Oil filter needed replacing.  CAS went (Whole dizzy got replaced, just in case because who knows what the ex-owner f*cked up).  Electrical issues (Still ongoing as of 14/2/16)  Broken throttle cable.  Mismatched bolts.  Using stock injectors (N/A) and a stock computer (N/A). At this point, I had enough. All the turbo gear + stuff I had bought, was pulled off and sold off including the:  3” Exhaust.  Turbo and manifold.  Boost gauge.  440cc Injectors.  Braided lines. At this current stage in time, I may turbo her, but it will most likely be low mount, however, this may change in the future. I only say this as I intend to buy a Calais to make big HP with and keep this as a daily. As she sits at the moment she has the current modifications:  16x7 VE Interceptor rims. (225 Rear; 205 Front).  Rear White Venetian Blinds.  Shocks and springs replaced all round.  Turbo front slotted rotors.  Aftermarket speakers.  Sports steering wheel.  Aftermarket head unit.  Manta Exhaust.  Pod Filter. Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
fmx939Archived member
Yes! My America's cup brother!!
0 likes
PsychotikArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by fmx939 [View Post] Yes! My America's cup brother!! Do you know how many were made? Or does anyone for that matter? Kind of interested.
0 likes
TheChadArchived member
Honestly glad to have you back mate. This site has been dead. Your hilarious posts before weren't even that bad in the grand scheme of things, only more noticeable because you were the only one posting.
0 likes
PsychotikArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by TheChad [View Post] Honestly glad to have you back mate. This site has been dead. Your hilarious posts before weren't even that bad in the grand scheme of things, only more noticeable because you were the only one posting. Cheers man! Yeah the site has been dead for a while now, but it still has an abundance of knowledge on it. So that's pretty good for me. Pitty it's not as active as it used to be... :/
0 likes
fmx939Archived member
Quote: Originally Posted by Psychotik [View Post] Do you know how many were made? Or does anyone for that matter? Kind of interested. Some say 500, seems the sl an all that got berlina upgrades. Mines number 8 an a Calais, so apart from the badge an the engraved clip that's all that's special.
0 likes
BigM22Archived member
Nice to see you got another one mate keep updating as it's pretty quiet around here lol Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
PsychotikArchived member
Crazy how many documents and stuff came with the car. It even has birthday cards commemorating its first birthday and the original vehicle AD.. Here's some more pictures I took today. (Yes, there is a few..) (I can't be bothered re-sizing them as they're large images.) http://imgur.com/a/wdt2l
0 likes
PsychotikArchived member
Updated thread OP with more information. -- I seem to have some issues when starting cold, could be spark plugs? Injectors? F*ck knows. Will look into it tomorrow.
0 likes
caibsArchived member
c.a.s most likely haha. always keep a spare in the glovebox. nice looking rig mate !
0 likes
PsychotikArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by caibs [View Post] c.a.s most likely haha. always keep a spare in the glovebox. nice looking rig mate ! Cheers man. She has a stock ECU in it because old owner probably didn't know **** all about what to do, so gotta go get one of them. Also injectors are stock hence why its only running 5PSI gonna go pickup some turbo ones or some ****. Dunno what size though? There is also a powersteering leak near the rack so gotta fix that.
0 likes
SteveArchived member
Turbo injectors need turbo ecu. Bigger injectors need an aftermarket ecu etc
0 likes
SIrollerArchived member
pictures of americas cup logos emblems and badging? also looks nice goodluck with plans!
0 likes
PsychotikArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by SIroller [View Post] pictures of americas cup logos emblems and badging? also looks nice goodluck with plans! I'll get a few pics tomorrow, only have one badge on the inside as the previous owner removed the outer ones... bloody moron. The owner previous to the guy I got it off has been a real good help, especially with some of the issues I've been experiencing.. At the moment I need to look into why she's blowing white smoke on cold start up. Its not the head, but it might be the turbo not being fed oil or water. One of the two. Old mate is gonna come down and have a look next weekend *Hopefully* to try and decipher the issue. After which I'm gonna have to blow like $400 + on new injectors, spark plugs and ECU. Then I can finally start doing other stuff like chucking on some pursuits, sourcing some venetians etc etc.
0 likes
brusselArchived member
my only advice is buy quality from the start, otherwise your costs will blow out as cheap **** doesnt last Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
PsychotikArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by brussel [View Post] my only advice is buy quality from the start, otherwise your costs will blow out as cheap **** doesnt last Will do man haha. Gonna make sure she runs well and has the best parts in her. At the moment however, I have to diagnose as to what the old owner f*cked up in regards to the turbo install, as he probs f*cked something somewhere. Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
REALISTArchived member
You're about 8 years too late for the prime days of VL's, but good luck with the new money pit anyway. Americas Cup edition is something that doesn't show up too often at all!
0 likes
PsychotikArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by REALIST [View Post] You're about 8 years too late for the prime days of VL's, but good luck with the new money pit anyway. Americas Cup edition is something that doesn't show up too often at all! I know man Most VL's nowadays are locked up, not running, unrego'd or simply just not in this state. Thanks but man I will sure enjoy her Yeah especially one in this condition mate, its got pretty much no rust at all just one or two small insignificant spots around the car. Hell theres no rust in the boot at all... its crazy haha. Much better than my old VL. Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
PsychotikArchived member
Here's the America's Cup Logo for those interested. Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
PsychotikArchived member
Just picked up 440cc GTR Injectors, any aftermarket computer recommendations which would do the job in regards to supporting them?
0 likes
Sign in or create an account to reply. New members are welcome—no purchase or old CT account needed.

Who’s online

1 member and 13 guests active in the last 15 minutes

Visitors Today15

3,683 threads, 23,233 posts and 69 images saved from CT