Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗
What black paint have people used to freshen up their wiper arms?
Cheers
0 likes
Just use any black from a spray can. I prefer satin.
Don't bother taking them off, just put news paper and mask up the car under and around them much easier.
0 likes
Hi
Thanks for the reply.
I was thinking that the satin was the more preferred by people.
Cheers
0 likes
Originals are powder coated. I tried to have a couple stripped and redone but the results were horrible. Something about old metal...or maybe just a crappy powder coater.
Went with the usual GMH dull gloss/satin black paint over an etch primer after stripping them yet again.
0 likes
Thanks for the replies guys.
0 likes
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUS
[View Post]
Just use any black from a spray can. I prefer satin.
Don't bother taking them off, just put news paper and mask up the car under and around them much easier.
Or just take the two 12mm nuts off and remove them. About a 60 second job. How long does masking the whole car take. I prefer my car without overspray on it.
I sanded mine back with 600 - 1200 grit sand paper. Then used some exterior satin black paint, then a coat of clear over the top to finish it off. Looks like new.
0 likes
Yes have been experimenting with primer then a satin black.
Didn't come up too bad.
A spray of clear does sound worth a shot.
Thanks for the replies.
Definitely no electric hand tools near these things when sanding.
The father in law got a little too close to an arm -- bye bye wiper arm
0 likes
I just used Super cheap auto spec gloss black on mine 4 years ago and it still looks fine
0 likes
I stumbled across some more wiper arms at a wreckers this week that were already paint stripped.
It is like there are 3 or 4 different styles of arms if you look at them closely.
On the back where the fold is in the metal, there are varying distances after the spring.
Primed and one spray of a satin.
Good enough to go back on the second vl turbo.
(http://s799.photobucket.com/user/calaist5/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpszhvikqon.jpg.html)
(http://s799.photobucket.com/user/calaist5/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpszhvikqon.jpg.html)
(http://s799.photobucket.com/user/calaist5/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpstxj66r6r.jpg.html)
Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
19-09-15, 11:23 GMT+10#10 Quote:
Originally Posted by VL_Nick
[View Post]
Or just take the two 12mm nuts off and remove them. About a 60 second job. How long does masking the whole car take. I prefer my car without overspray on it.
I sanded mine back with 600 - 1200 grit sand paper. Then used some exterior satin black paint, then a coat of clear over the top to finish it off. Looks like new.
If your a noob or do it in the wind, yes you will get overspray everywhere. Common sense. Old news paper half way up the windscreen and halfway down the bonnet is more then ample.
0 likes
19-09-15, 22:48 GMT+10#11 Quote:
Originally Posted by MUS
[View Post]
If your a noob or do it in the wind, yes you will get overspray everywhere. Common sense. Old news paper half way up the windscreen and halfway down the bonnet is more then ample.
Still would take longer to put newspaper down than undoing 2 nuts.
0 likes