Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗
Hey guys i got a manual gearbox i drained my gearbox oil and now im trying to take the fill plug out and its not coming out whats the best tool to use and the bolt is a square bolt btw and its been threaded abit need help asap cheers ladies and gents
0 likes
You mean as in the bolt head has been rounded a little bit?
Try and get an open ended spanner on it, if it's real tight try and use something else otherwise you might round it even more with an open ender
0 likes
Yeah man tryed that no lucky need some other tool like a ratchet that has square fittings or some **** lol
0 likes
so its the type that requires half inch a ratchet or breaker bar to undo, good luck with that one. Its not like you can weld another bolt to it to get it undone
Can you refill these boxes through the shifter hole?
0 likes
Yeah man any tool i use just keeps slipping and i tryed firting a breaker bar but it would keep hitting under the car
0 likes
Good luck.... I once had the box out of the car, was standing ON the box using a breaker bar with a pole over it and still couldnt get it. Twisted the square end straight off!
I had to drill a hole into it and hammer in a large tapered star head bolt extractor. Then, again standing on the box and using a breaker bar and pole with a good socket on the end of the extractor, I finally got it out!
0 likes
have you tried tightening it first?
Sounds stupid but it quite often works as they can become stuck and it allows you to crack the seal. It then become easier to undo
I cant remember how I used to undo them now. Had a few in my years as a mechanic but damned if I can remember how I used to get them out.
Sounds like most things wont work due to space anyway, so sounds like its out with box unfortunately
0 likes