Back to shop ↗
THE HOLDEN COMMODORE FORUM

HOLDCOM Community

Built around the cars. Kept alive by the people.

+ Start a discussion
Holden Commodores gathered at Holdcom
Forum Home›VL Commodore
VL Commodore

who has a RE4R01A transmission behind their RB30T

Started by John boy · 7 June 2015 · 6 replies

Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗

John boyArchived member
HI Does any on here know of anyone running a RE4R01A transmission behind their RB30 Turbo if soo i would love to hear from you . whats modes have they done to handle 500 rwhp , or am i wasting my time building one of these and go straight for a C4 ( i still want 3 gears) any help/suggestions would be great Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
qldvl5spdArchived member
I've got one. Joel from JD transmissions built it for me. Been running fine for nearly 3 years now (with only 400ish hp though) Clutches, bands etc Id have to find the receipt. Very streetable, I like having the 4 gears, You can also go the RE4R03A witch is a lot stronger again.
0 likes
John boyArchived member
thanks for that i would love to hear from other guys who runs this tranny in their car , i am two minds weather to go this box or a C4
0 likes
John boyArchived member
bump
0 likes
ShiftyArchived member
I like the idea but there aren't many cars I've seen using them, much less in an aftermarket fitment such as a VL. That said, by all reports they're significantly better than a Jatco. A mate is experimenting with one (a 3) for his bluebird. Not sure how far off it is though. Has had a VLT box for the last few years: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PRa5-htO8U A TH400 is the go if you want something proper reliable, but with an extra gear over a glide.
0 likes
MorgzArchived member
How much are you looking to spend on a C4? Last time I checked Dominello's were asking a good $6k for a box, and from what I've heard, the parts in them still weren't that great, but they'd hold 800rwhp. I bought a 2 speed for 2800 new, plus 1600 for a convertor, but have spent another $3k trying to get the box right, numerous leaks, missing gears, transbrake not engaging, breaking the rear extension.. it's been a very ordinary experience.
0 likes
3lturboArchived member
I wouldn't muck around with the skyline trans. 500rwhp is a bit of power to put through one, and no doubt you're only going make more in the future. A good glide/th350/400 will set you back anywhere from 4-6k plus a converter, and will be good for double the power of the nissan trans.
0 likes
Sign in or create an account to reply. New members are welcome—no purchase or old CT account needed.

Who’s online

0 members and 5 guests active in the last 15 minutes

No signed-in members active right now. Guests are welcome to browse.

Visitors Today47

3,683 threads, 23,233 posts and 354 images saved from CT