Back to shop ↗
THE HOLDEN COMMODORE FORUM

HOLDCOM Community

Built around the cars. Kept alive by the people.

+ Start a discussion
Holden Commodores gathered at Holdcom
Forum Home›Technical help
Technical help

Modifying carby 304

Started by MUS · 21 Jan 2015 · 11 replies

Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗

MUSArchived member
hey guys did a bit of a look around, not really finding much useful. Found a old thread from progmh that was about it. What's the best way to get some balls into my 5.0lvl? *Diff gears (unsure Whats best) *rebuilding the auto with a stall (unsure on size of stall due to not knowing what cam I will use) *cam/valve springs etc (unsure on specs) *better intake manifold *au twin fermos/radiator *fuel system *extractors *bigger brakes *suspention what am I messing? What are the best specs for the above? I do have a spare ls1 that I am contemplating putting in.. Appreciate your help fellers.
0 likes
deanoVLCTArchived member
http://www.aussiev8.com.au/holden-v8...er-basics.html (http://www.aussiev8.com.au/holden-v8s/2861-308-path-power-basics.html) http://www.aussiev8.com.au/aussiev8-...ome-power.html (http://www.aussiev8.com.au/aussiev8-technical-articles/5059-308-path-power-lets-start-making-some-power.html) http://www.aussiev8.com.au/holden/30...where-now.html (http://www.aussiev8.com.au/holden/3082-308-path-power-basics-done-where-now.html)
0 likes
MUSArchived member
Legend. Thanks bro
0 likes
deanoVLCTArchived member
Anytime my brother! My Monaro is a faily standard 308 carb! Only has full exhaust but about to install gilmer drive and 3.55 diff gears! Then maybe later down track cam and heads but by the time you do so that suff you coulda dropped a 350 in for same price! I've got a cheeky idea of a turbo kit in mind though Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
NASTY1Archived member
Get some comp into the engine that would help a bit
0 likes
1815261Archived member
I have just done a full rebuild on my Holden v8 304 in my vl calais, i did everything possible and people might think its a waste of time and money and instead put a ls1 in but you can't beat the sound of a holden v8 over a Chev... i didnt even go VN heads which i think i should have, but at the start of the build i was not planning on going for "power", i wanted reliability... and No i didnt want a "355" either... VS stroker relieved block, vs conrods, ACL 030' oversize Flat top pistons, 10.6:1 Comp, all balanced, heads are ported and polished (didnt get flowed tested), 1.6/1.9 stainless valves, Crane 286 Camshaft, Trend push rods, Crane platnum roller rockers, crane double valve springs, Full Ice ignition, Torque power dual plane high rise manifold, Holly HP 650dp, hpc coated pacemaker extractors 2 5/8, twin 2.5 inch exhaust which merges to single 3 inch over the diff, Hooker mufflers and magna flow cats, Trimatic gearbox with a 3000rpm stall converter and 3.7 diff gears. Carter fuel pump,
0 likes
MUSArchived member
That sounds tuff as nuts!!^^^ a bit more expensive then I plan to spend though. But over time it wouldn't be a issue I guess. Nasty- what do you recommend mate? Cheers again Deano, how would a gilmmer drive fair on my VL? Worth it?
0 likes
deanoVLCTArchived member
All depends how much you wanna splurge on the car man! http://youtu.be/8kwpaHV6yFc
0 likes
MUSArchived member
That was sweeeeet.
0 likes
NASTY1Archived member
If you build a motor its only around $1000 extra to buy a 355 crank, I beams and pistons.
0 likes
MUSArchived member
Yeah I did some research Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
NASTY1Archived member
Cool.well worth the extra $$$$
0 likes
Sign in or create an account to reply. New members are welcome—no purchase or old CT account needed.

Who’s online

0 members and 5 guests active in the last 15 minutes

No signed-in members active right now. Guests are welcome to browse.

Visitors Today47

3,683 threads, 23,233 posts and 354 images saved from CT