Back to shop ↗
THE HOLDEN COMMODORE FORUM

HOLDCOM Community

Built around the cars. Kept alive by the people.

+ Start a discussion
Holden Commodores gathered at Holdcom
Forum Home›Technical help
Technical help

HDT VL Calais Sports V8

Started by Panno · 21 Jan 2015 · 9 replies

Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗

PannoArchived member
Have recently come across one of these and am intrigued to learn more about it. HDT site says approx. 150 built and most were 6 cylinder turbo's. That leaves me wondering - how many V8's were made. Have given Google a working over, however no luck. I am also wondering what these would bring, being low production and well equipped. The one I have come across is white, burgundy leather, v8, auto, 16 inch momo's... Any ideas or info appreciated?
0 likes
ss nutArchived member
Really depends on the condition of the car(Rare?Yes)Appox 30- 40 odd cars as the rcords on them were not too flash. The wife and I own one of the 2 Calais sport wagons(V8) What build no is the one you are looking at, Is all the original gear still on her(peri suspension package?)Head pressure bypass system still in place. Cheers Marty
0 likes
PannoArchived member
Hi Marty Rare = your wagon, very nice and well done. I am in the early stages of gaining information on this car, thus far only a long phone call with the owner. I understand the vehicle is #4200 originally owned by a T.Kelly, who I understood may have been an HDT employee, so maybe built as a staff car? It is pretty well loaded and I have been told all original, however yet to sight in the flesh. Keen to learn as much as I can if what to look for, what to be concerned with etc. Cheers Panno
0 likes
PannoArchived member
Should have added it has the Director wood trim, burgundy leather scheel trim. Cheers Panno
0 likes
ss nutArchived member
Basic records show it was an HDT-T Kelly car of 9/87 Really depends on what the car was optioned with?And you will need the HDT paper work for that,I recon I have seen photos of that car? What you only really be concerned with if it is genuine and the numbers match,The rest you can repair or find to replace. Cheers Marty
0 likes
PannoArchived member
Thanks Marty From speaking with the owner it has maroon scheel interior, sunroof, Director wood trim (do others have this), has a different to the other Sports rear bar (more like the Group A - with the exhaust more surrounded than the sport larger cut out), v8, automatic, front bar has an additional black lip to the bottom of it (no idea on this one sorry), white paint, has the original HDT certificate, numbers are matching to the bible, however original compendium is not with the car, nor is its location known (suspect kept as a trophy by an earlier owner). Current owner understood that T Kelly may have been an HDT employee and added the Director wood, Rear bar and front lip from the HDT parts bin!!! ---------- Post added 23-01-15 at 08:42 ---------- Error = meant rear bar similar to Director I believe, not Group A. Hard to speculate when yet to see in the flesh, however plan to meet the owner in the coming weeks to talk through and work out whether to pursue. Plus also has the larger tank Have spent many minutes on line trying to find a pic, any idea of where you may have seen this one? Really trying to get my knowledge up to scratch to make an informed judgement and decision.
0 likes
ss nutArchived member
Go to the Brock commodores site and have a hunt up,Heaps of pics there Short on time at the mo will send a pm to you
0 likes
VL_NickArchived member
Would love some pics posted if they become available
0 likes
PannoArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by ss nut [View Post] Go to the Brock commodores site and have a hunt up,Heaps of pics there Short on time at the mo will send a pm to you Just tried that site and unfortunately wouldn't accept my e-mail address. Said to contact the Administrator and then it wouldn't let me as it said I had to be logged in. Hmmm. I could look at a few on there, but couldn't get into their forum to search for this particular one. Spoke with Shannon Auctions for some advice and they were stumped and unable to help - he said first time he couldn't really help with a car. I know it seems a bit backwards trying to learn before seeing the car, however on the flip side if I feel comfortable and can understand what I am dealing with when I am looking at it, then I may well then just take it there and then or know to leave it alone or push on the proce.
0 likes
InjectionArchived member
The sport superseded the LE which was fitted with the polariser. As has been documented there was a long saga over that (polariser) and eventually the LE name was dropped and replaced with the Sport. A few of the sports were also fitted with IRS. The forum won't accept generic emails addresses like Hotmail etc. Here is the link from the main site to more info on the Sports: www.brockcommodores.com/Fact%20Files/vlsport.htm (http://www.brockcommodores.com/Fact%20Files/vlsport.htm)
0 likes
Sign in or create an account to reply. New members are welcome—no purchase or old CT account needed.

Who’s online

0 members and 4 guests active in the last 15 minutes

No signed-in members active right now. Guests are welcome to browse.

Visitors Today81

6,358 threads, 42,591 posts and 619 images saved from CT

18.6% of indexed threads saved