Back to shop ↗
THE HOLDEN COMMODORE FORUM

HOLDCOM Community

Built around the cars. Kept alive by the people.

+ Start a discussion
Holden Commodores gathered at Holdcom
Forum Home›Technical help
Technical help

opera house Vl sl 5.0l factory. No long range fuel tank?

Started by MUS · 20 Jan 2015 · 22 replies

Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗

MUSArchived member
hey guys I recently purchased a limited edition 1988 vl opera house. It's basicly a VL SL with berlina trim, and a 304. I'm just curious, I am quiet surprised that it doesn't have a long range fuel tank..... Is this common on 5.0l VLs? Or is it just the BT1s that had the long range tanks? Any help is much appreciated.
0 likes
deanoVLCTArchived member
Picsssssss or you bought a orange Gemini
0 likes
ss nutArchived member
Will be a standard tank. Cheers Marty
0 likes
MUSArchived member
Cheers Marty. I will tonight Deano! ---------- Post added 20-01-15 at 21:43 ---------- No rust in the usual spots! Abit on the front left guard that is all. Genuine clean headlamps, overall very clean! The body is incredibly straight and paint is mint. Just needs a good cut and polish. Havent got any good pics yet as I haven't pushed it out and cleaned it yet. its basicly a berlina not sl as I said earlier.. Nothing SL about it. Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
deanoVLCTArchived member
Nice mus! I bet your hanging to flush that radiator lol
0 likes
MUSArchived member
Thanks, I'm hanging to fcuk it off and get better one! Can't wait to detail the bay.
0 likes
NASTY1Archived member
Looks nice....v8 vls hard to come by
0 likes
MUSArchived member
Thanks bro, I thought so too.. Now I'm just trying to decide what will be a nice combination of engine modifications. Don't wanna go spastic as of yet. Definitely diff gears and rebuild the auto with a stall. And replace practically everything in the bay.
0 likes
mulkersArchived member
The only vl's that came with long range tanks were ones that were optioned up with them. Some 'packs' had long range tanks too, like the Country pack. The build sheet will let you know if it had one originally or not
0 likes
MUSArchived member
Cheers bro, I havent looked yet to see if the build sheet is still there.
0 likes
ss nutArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by mulkers [View Post] The only vl's that came with long range tanks were ones that were optioned up with them. Some 'packs' had long range tanks too, like the Country pack. The build sheet will let you know if it had one originally or not Not sure if the country packs had them??As it is not on the list for the option pack,The HDT wagon I have has what they call the extended range tank?What ever that means,becouse I cannot get any further with the ninety litre tanks as the old girl uses about 15-18 litres to the hundred on the open road,Around town( when I do get to town)I get about 250-300ks out of a tank, Cheers Marty
0 likes
deanoVLCTArchived member
15-18 litres on open road? You got a stroker under the bonnet with 8 turbos? lol Mus just chuck a big tank in mate, nothing bettrer then a vl rear with a droppy!
0 likes
ss nutArchived member
Just a hungry old girl,I get about 13-15 when I nana it(Almost never)the 15-18 is the norm because of where In live(decent size hills etc)From HDT the sheets says 196kw engine,But we have had her dynode as 165kw at the treads so HDT were not far off the mark. As you say just throw a long range in her. Cheers Marty
0 likes
MUSArchived member
Agreed! Will keep my eyes pealed for any available.
0 likes
BoyracerArchived member
Not to sure they came with Berlina interiors, could be from a donor, HDT got good results from an inlet port match, dizzy regraph and xtractors.
0 likes
3lturboArchived member
That's cool MUS! Going LS in it?
0 likes
race5lArchived member
The seats in it are original, seen two Opera packs with the same..
0 likes
MUSArchived member
Yeah the seats are factory. Quote: Originally Posted by 3lturbo [View Post] That's cool MUS! Going LS in it? I want to man, I got the motor. But I wanna keep it genuine so I probably wont Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
AldawyArchived member
Hi MUS, Good starting point. You got your work cut out for you in the engine bay. Good luck with it
0 likes
MUSArchived member
Thanks Slav! Yeah bro tell me about it lol. Looking forward to the headaches. I still have it in storage, cant wait to bring it home.
0 likes
Sign in or create an account to reply. New members are welcome—no purchase or old CT account needed.

Who’s online

1 member and 4 guests active in the last 15 minutes

Visitors Today32

3,683 threads, 23,233 posts and 227 images saved from CT