Back to shop ↗
THE HOLDEN COMMODORE FORUM

HOLDCOM Community

Built around the cars. Kept alive by the people.

+ Start a discussion
Holden Commodores gathered at Holdcom
Forum Home›Technical help
Technical help

power glide help

Started by GMHVLCT · 7 Dec 2014 · 11 replies

Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗

GMHVLCTArchived member
So I bit the bullet and went with a power glide and I need advice with regards to installing it in my vl. I assume I need a different / custom cross member. If so, how / where do I get one? Any help appreciated!
0 likes
SkinkisArchived member
Keas seem to have everything you need to fit one into a VL. Currently looking into putting one in mine too.
0 likes
vltnitronArchived member
i just used the vl auto x member and made a bracket to hold the rubber mount
0 likes
GMHVLCTArchived member
Sounds straight forward but I suppose you wouldn't have any pics? Its hard to picture where the bracket needs to be made. I take it standard vl rubber mounts are still used?
0 likes
PSI086Archived member
All the bracket needs to be is a extension off the crossmember to move the rubber mount foward (I think that's hos mine is done). Just take a measurement between your tailshaft and the body at the back of the old gearbox before it's removed and make the bracket up to mount the glide in the same position
0 likes
GMHVLCTArchived member
The original motor and trans was removed about 6+ months ago. I need to call my engine builder about my convertor, he should hopefully know about the cross member as well.
0 likes
GMHVLCTArchived member
Finally got my convertor built, now onto the next problem...the x member! I've been told by a trans place in SA that I need a v8 trimatic x member for my power glide install?
0 likes
SkinkisArchived member
I have a standard VL Auto cross member on mine with an extension plate welded on it. Got the whole kit from Keas, so might be an idea to get in contact with him. ---------- Post added 21-08-15 at 16:55 ---------- Or buy a complete cross member from Castlemaine rod shop. http://www.rodshop.com.au/index.php/...s-members.html (http://www.rodshop.com.au/index.php/holden/vl/xmvlvs-turbo-supra-holden-gear-box-cross-members.html) Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
3lturboArchived member
Be careful with some of the Castlemaine gear, I bought an adaptor ring for one of my vl's and it didn't fit at all. I'd give keas a call, or hit up Jason at Tuff Mounts as I know he does them for LS conversions, so may have them for rb30 as well.
0 likes
GMHVLCTArchived member
Thank you for the picture, it makes things clearer. My trans guy quoted me around $200 for a x member but my brother tells me he can get his mate to weld and powder coat a x member for me for cheap. Do I use this rubber mount? http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/REAR-TRAN...item5d3ab967c9 (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/REAR-TRANSMISSION-MOUNT-CHEV-POWER-GLIDE-TURBO-350-TURBO-400-HOLDEN-HK-HT-HG-HQ-/400417187785?hash=item5d3ab967c9)
0 likes
SkinkisArchived member
My mount looks more like this one: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Cast-Iron...item48557ef9de (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Cast-Iron-Powerglide-MOUNT-1958-1959-1960-1961-1962-Transmission-w-Hardware-/310672030174?hash=item48557ef9de)
0 likes
GMHVLCTArchived member
I bought a trans mount from my local speed shop for $20. Hopefully have the x member done sooner rather than later so the trans can finally go in!
0 likes
Sign in or create an account to reply. New members are welcome—no purchase or old CT account needed.

Who’s online

1 member and 14 guests active in the last 15 minutes

Visitors Today16

3,683 threads, 23,233 posts and 72 images saved from CT