Back to shop ↗
THE HOLDEN COMMODORE FORUM

HOLDCOM Community

Built around the cars. Kept alive by the people.

+ Start a discussion
Holden Commodores gathered at Holdcom
Forum Home›Technical help
Technical help

AirCon into no AC VL model

Started by Mad87VL · 6 Dec 2014 · 3 replies

Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗

Mad87VLArchived member
Hey guys and girls, Have recent been driving around and dam its getting F#@king hot, so i was wondering what i would need to install Aircon into my VL, what parts do i need and has anyone really bothered before Thank you
0 likes
GenieeArchived member
does your air controls have the AC markings on it? (I'm not sure if its there just not in use) i had to replace my AC compressor coz the bearing was buggered in it, and finding that bearing was a nightmare, so just bought a 2nd hand one off a guy from calturbo for like $40 you would need the internal (under dash) AC radiator thing (unsure of its official name) :edit (google tells me its an "evaporator") the hoses that go from in there to the compressor... the hoses that go around the front to the condenser (front radiator thing), the "dryer" that is connected to it, (little cylinder thing) and a fan on there too, but reading on here, most guys say the fan rarely comes on (if u have a FMIC, need a slim fan)... Prob best to find stuff from a wreck coz then u can grab it all... Im not sure if the ECU matters... i know there is the code for A/C function (prob does the idle up when AC is turned on) but unsure if you would "need" it.... might just idle lower when its on? I wonder if there are any aftermarket "all-in-one" type kits available? Perhaps some electric motor to save you the Kw. on your engine... although having said that, there would be alternator draw... so its prob stupid to reinvent the wheel.... I still have to get my front condenser fixed, i buggered one of the bolts on the line that connects to the hose when putting my FMIC on. Ebay might have the condensers + dryer ..
0 likes
bullarabArchived member
I bought a complete vl with factory ac for $500 just for the complete AC converson.
0 likes
Mad87VLArchived member
Thanks so much from input Geniee, yes my vl does have all the AC markings on the controller. I will start looking around ASAP from someone wrecking a vl near by that has AC so I can take it all in one go. As far as aftermarket AC goes, it's just to pricy, if anyone knows anyone who does it for a reasonable price let me know otherwise I'd rather stick with original stuff because it all fits right. So I will have to pull up the dash to get evaporator in and put the rest in the engine bay, thankfully the hole the hoses go into just have cap over it so I don't need to cut anything. ---------- Post added 10-12-14 at 09:19 ---------- Quote: Originally Posted by bullarab [View Post] I bought a complete vl with factory ac for $500 just for the complete AC converson. Was it a pain to put in? What processes did you have to go though to get it Thanks heaps
0 likes
Sign in or create an account to reply. New members are welcome—no purchase or old CT account needed.

Who’s online

0 members and 5 guests active in the last 15 minutes

No signed-in members active right now. Guests are welcome to browse.

Visitors Today47

3,683 threads, 23,233 posts and 354 images saved from CT