Back to shop ↗
THE HOLDEN COMMODORE FORUM

HOLDCOM Community

Built around the cars. Kept alive by the people.

+ Start a discussion
Holden Commodores gathered at Holdcom
Forum Home›Meets & events
Meets & events

vl speedo out due to different gears.

Started by skoota · 24 Nov 2014 · 12 replies

Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗

skootaArchived member
Hey guys Just got my Calais back after having some 4.11s fitted.my speedo is out by 20ks just wanting to know how I'd go about fixing it? I'm using an r33 gearbox. Thanks Scott.
0 likes
TheChadArchived member
you need a speedo adapter. Last I recall the rod shop (castlemaine rod shop?) used to sell them. perhaps give them a call and see if they still do. Your gearing is out, as far as I know there realy isn't an easy or cheap way to change it because it's all mechanical. the adapters were over $100 last time I checked.
0 likes
skootaArchived member
Thanks for that I'll give them a call this arvo and see how I go!
0 likes
TheChadArchived member
theyre over east so you'll have to give them a call in the morning.
0 likes
SteveArchived member
Scott there's a mod you can do to your speedo drive using parts from an R33 electronic Speedo drive, I'll find the how-to link tomorrow. PS, how does she go with the 4.11's??
0 likes
skootaArchived member
Hey Steve that would be great! The 4.11s have really woken the car up, it is a lot nicer to drive around town now. I also replaced all the rear bushes with super pro bushes and they have made a big difference as well. We will have to catch up when you get your car on the road! Are you far off finishing?
0 likes
TheChadArchived member
Steve I went through all that before, the 3.9 (3.89) and 4.11 come from SR boxes from memory, the drives are much shorter so not a direct bolt in. **** me if I could figure out how to get the plastic gear off the drive without completely rooting it, would love to see a step by step of how someone's done it.
0 likes
skootaArchived member
I've ordered a gear from an s14 speedo drive that is a 4.11 ratio. I'll see how I go fitting it once it gets here.
0 likes
TheChadArchived member
oh bummer, I'm 80% I've got one in one of my parents garages, you could have just had it. Let me know how it goes because I might have a shot at it myself.
0 likes
skootaArchived member
Haha that's always the case. Cheers anyway! It took me a whole to find the part. I'll keep posted once it arrives!
0 likes
caibsArchived member
if you get stuck go to flexible drive in welshpool. a few doors up from the dutch butcher. they do custom cables, gears whatever you want. well priced too.
0 likes
SteveArchived member
Sorry I've been busy with work and havent found the link yet. Jack, its using RB parts not SR parts and works fine. The black cog on the VL speedo has to be destroyed to remove and you use the red cog from the RB25 speedo drive. Little bit more to it though.. I'll find it soon...
0 likes
SteveArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by skoota We will have to catch up when you get your car on the road! Are you far off finishing? I havent touched it since you last asked me haha - I've been on too many Holidays this year Well, while searching for the info I wanted, I found this instead: Ring Nissan and see if they can order you a pinion drive p/n 32702-31G20 Heres a list of speedo drives to suit different diff gears. 32702-31G21 21 teeth (PURPLE) Ratio 4.375:1 32702-31G20 20 teeth (RED) Ratio 4.11:1 32702-33G19 19 teeth (WHITE ) Ratio 3.90:1 32702-31G18 18 teeth (BLUE) Ratio 3.70:1 32702-33G17 17 teeth (BLACK ) Ratio 3.545:1 32702-33G16 16 teeth (YELLOW) Ratio 3.364:1 The other info I've seen in the past involved machining the end of the VL speedo drive shaft to look the same as the R33 shaft once the circlip has been removed to get the red gear off. Then you need to cut a grove in the other end of the drive housing as the gear is offset in the housing so its not too tight in the box. These part numbers for the complete assembly including the required gears means no machining required. EDIT: Found some conflicting info, seeing as the VLT/Navara Speedo drive p/n is actually 32702-02G17 (I've bought and used of 2 these now - one of which is in your gearbox now, Scott) If you ring Nissan, see what the first part number in my post is and then see what 32702-02G20 is... I have a feeling the first PN's in this post are for 4x4 model Navara's and these are to suit the 2wd D21 Models, which have similar box to VLT/R33 32702-02G21 21 teeth (Purple) Ratio 4.375:1 32702-02G20 20 teeth (RED) Ratio 4.11:1 32702-02G19 19 teeth (WHITE ) Ratio 3.90:1 32702-02G17 17 teeth (BLACK ) Ratio 3.545:1 (VLT) Cheers Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
Sign in or create an account to reply. New members are welcome—no purchase or old CT account needed.

Who’s online

1 member and 14 guests active in the last 15 minutes

Visitors Today16

3,683 threads, 23,233 posts and 72 images saved from CT