Back to shop ↗
THE HOLDEN COMMODORE FORUM

HOLDCOM Community

Built around the cars. Kept alive by the people.

+ Start a discussion
Holden Commodores gathered at Holdcom
Forum Home›Technical help
Technical help

5L cam shaft.

Started by IDAREU · 2 Aug 2014 · 10 replies

Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗

IDAREUArchived member
Hey all has anybody used a thumpr cam shaft in there 5L? I heard bout these the other day n I'm curious bout em. I can't seem to find much on the net.
0 likes
cava454Archived member
Never heard of it
0 likes
IDAREUArchived member
Well all I can find is there made in Germany n good quality. They can be put in factory 5L with high stall n gears. N obviously valve springs n new lifters. N give a good lumpy note at idol n yet don't need a heap of comp. basically I'm chasing the note without spending big buks n sendin the cars performance backwards. I understand u need comp for overlap n duration but apparently these cams u don't.
0 likes
cava454Archived member
Unless ur gunna open the motor up and give it some extra comp, stick to a tried and tested crane 276/284. It won't sound mega lumpy but at least it won't drive like a POS
0 likes
gilbo-333Archived member
With so many tried and tested cam manafacturers, why bother with something unknown..? Just save your time and get crow, comp cams, come racing etc etc
0 likes
IDAREUArchived member
Well turns out comp cams actually sell the range of thumpr cams. Can't get specs on there site thou
0 likes
cava454Archived member
I can't find anything. Regardless. With a stock 304 you cant have big lumpy idle without it being a slug.
0 likes
IDAREUArchived member
Well looked further into and spoke to a few different comp cams suppliers. They are basically a hot rodder's cam. Lumpy note with aid in performance. So it can b done. Here's the link http://www.compcams.com/Thumpr/ There is nothing listed for the holden 5L on the site but a few suppliers have em stock. N I got the specs on the cam.
0 likes
cava454Archived member
Specs are?
0 likes
IDAREUArchived member
227@50 intake 241@50 exhaust. 479 intake lift n 465 exhaust lift. Lobe sep. 107. The lift isn't real big which is obviously good with low comp, as u prob know 107 lsa is a grumpy thing. N spoke to the guys that normal tune my cars. It will work well.
0 likes
cava454Archived member
And the other supporting mods? What's the rest of the engine.
0 likes
Sign in or create an account to reply. New members are welcome—no purchase or old CT account needed.

Who’s online

0 members and 5 guests active in the last 15 minutes

No signed-in members active right now. Guests are welcome to browse.

Visitors Today47

3,683 threads, 23,233 posts and 355 images saved from CT