Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗
Hi there,
Long time viewer, first time poster.
I can't find a definitive answer on what kind of fuel I should use in my NA 87 VL. She Runs fine on 91 But the ol' RB seems really sluggish and she carbons up and smells kinda off, it's hard to describe the smell exactly, maybe its my grandma driving but I thought I'd come and ask.
Regards.
Newbie.
0 likes
98 is your best bet mate, simple as that really
You may have other problems (or you might not) but it should run a lot nicer on premium and give you a bit better economy as well
0 likes
Make sure your AFM is tuned in to suit your air box mods, running premium these days isn't always cheap.
0 likes
Thanks alot guys, my vl is stock as a rock N/A ( granny spec as they come ) except for like mags thats about all I've gotten done, but thanks for the tips, I gotta replace my air filter as it's pretty rooted. The step dad recommended 98 with octane booster also so I'll give that a bash and see how I go.
Newbie..
0 likes
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLnewbie
[View Post]
Thanks alot guys, my vl is stock as a rock N/A ( granny spec as they come ) except for like mags thats about all I've gotten done, but thanks for the tips, I gotta replace my air filter as it's pretty rooted. The step dad recommended 98 with octane booster also so I'll give that a bash and see how I go.
Newbie..
I have done a ton of research relating to exactly this topic.
Look up wiki and it explains how oil is cracked and the octane strands.
Any way
Running premium in an N/A VL is compleat waste of cash.
Your VL is designed to run on 91 octane.
I own a Vl turbo, VE and VZ and both aloytecs are recommended 91 as that's what there tuned for.
My Vl turbo is tuned (factory ECU) for 91 but due to the risk factors that old turbo engine become subjected to, it does make use of a higher octane fuel.
As mentioned below.
The logic is simple.
98 octane has a higher ignition point and their for is used to prevent a range of negative side effects eg. Pinging, pinking in relation to high combustion pressure, heat, air density etc normally to effect large power or modified engines.
So 98 Oct is actually harder to ignite in terms of ignition timing than say 91.
In other words you granny spec VL will not run any better than if u run it on 91 and your just falling for the biggest gimmick fuel company's own.
A premium is what you pay not what you pay for.
Look up Wiki
In short use 91. Your engine is old and 91 will not change or prolong that fact.
98 doesn't last longer and it cost far more for 0% gain.
If you bolted a turbo to it, wound up the boost n all that n it started to Ping yeah use the 98 to beat the flame front due to pressure and heat. but there is no need for it on a standard engine.
Lamborghini's and Ferrari's don't go fast because of the fuel. they simply can't operate on low octane fuel due to high compression etc.
Your VL can.
Go to wiki for more info on any thing Factual.
Hope this has made sense to you.
0 likes
You make a fair point, but my VL had 91 octane run in it for a good 20 years and when I got it, it ran like a pig, wouldn't idle, all the usual. Changed nothing aside from running premium, runs mint now.
So the fuel does play a part as it keeps your fuel system ie lines, injectors etc clean also.
---------- Post added 30-08-14 at 17:36 ----------
** in comparison to 91 which doesn't do as good a job
0 likes
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigM22
[View Post]
You make a fair point, but my VL had 91 octane run in it for a good 20 years and when I got it, it ran like a pig, wouldn't idle, all the usual. Changed nothing aside from running premium, runs mint now.
So the fuel does play a part as it keeps your fuel system ie lines, injectors etc clean also.
---------- Post added 30-08-14 at 17:36 ----------
** in comparison to 91 which doesn't do as good a job
It may have shot term gains... But
I can't say, as iv never seen inside a VL fuel line.
When I dropped my fuel tank it was spotless so it would be safe to say the lines would be in better condition after the fuel filter.
If the 98 octane did remove any thing that could attach it self to a fuel line, then it would no doubt got through the pin hole in the injector into your engine or block the injector itself.
It would be safe to say that if your car is so sensitive to react differently to a 7% decrease in combustibility then it may be worth looking at other potential issues.
Eg. Fuel filter, fuel pump, injector cleaner, injectors etc.
what actually caused your car to run better depends. could be any thing as you didn't know the car.
You mentioned "When you got it"
When you got it it may have had stale fuel or other issues. Sounds like it needed a good service.
But regardless the mechanics of 98 oct does nothing if it is not used to perform a task.
Such is the case in non or mild modified cars (standard compression scenario)
Thanks.
---------- Post added 30-08-14 at 19:24 ----------
I pay $1.68 year round for 91 so I did my homework as I live in Karratha
But I'm guessing you pay an extra 20c/L for 98
That on a VL tank 63L is around 12.60 + "booster" another cleaver name.
Fuel filter is cheap n can be changed with ease (especially on granny spec vls as there not o=o that low to the ground.
Cheers I hope iv saved you guys some cash.
As most of you pay around 32.5c in Tax for every dollar before it even gets to your wallet.
Cheers
0 likes
$1.70 is what I've mainly seen premium to be at here in Vic, although it does fluctuate to be cheaper or more expensive at times
0 likes
Usually put 95 in. Put 91 in and didn't like the way it would drive. I put 98 in every so often if it's cheap.
0 likes