Back to shop ↗
THE HOLDEN COMMODORE FORUM

HOLDCOM Community

Built around the cars. Kept alive by the people.

+ Start a discussion
Holden Commodores gathered at Holdcom
Forum Home›Technical help
Technical help

Head lights real dim

Started by dougall83 · 13 July 2014 · 17 replies

Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗

dougall83Archived member
Hey guys drove my vl the other night for the first time at dark since I've moved the battery to the boot, well the headlights were like Parkers and high beam were still awful, has anyone else had this problem? I did a search and some blokes were saying the "headlight wire" needs upgrading? I have bugger all,idea when comes to wiring so any help would b great thanks,
0 likes
Wkd_VlArchived member
what size battery are you using and how many ground cables have you got.there should be one from the battery to ground. and another one from the engine to chassis
0 likes
Ant_manArchived member
I had this when moved the batt also , turned out to be a bad earth from the head light that normally goes to the battery I just found a good earth problem fixed
0 likes
GenieeArchived member
This isnt really related directly to your problem, but i found my VL used to be pretty bad amp wise at night with lights, heater, stereo on. I swapped all the rear globes to LED's (replaced flasher unit with a LED one rather than install resisters for indicators) Also did front indicators and parkers and now when im stopped at lights, foot on brake, heater, stereo, headlights, the volt gauge no longer drops down to 12v and the dash lights dont dim like they did. I also have all the dash wedge globes to replace, should help a little more.
0 likes
dougall83Archived member
I have earth in boot and one in engine bay il have a look after work today and throw some pics up, (https://imageshack.com/i/nsj57ij) (https://imageshack.com/i/np52nzj) these 2 are from engine bay and the bottom one is from battery in boot and it goes to the seatbelt bolt??? (https://imageshack.com/i/nrt7pgj) Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
Ant_manArchived member
My car had a bad earth in the wire from the head light itself , thus only my lights had the bad earth rest of car was fine
0 likes
dougall83Archived member
Bump fellas what use reckon? Those earth enough?
0 likes
Jim.vl355Archived member
Hey mate I just had the same problem with my headlights make sure all your earths are nice and clean and I change the blade fuse for circuit breaker worked well Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
0 likes
GenieeArchived member
I also re-did all of my wiring from the battery to starter, alternator and re-did the earth to block and made a new earth to my body (grind a bit of paint off, drill, bolt, paint over) I think i used something like 4gauge or something really thick, did the ends using the end caps, stuck wire in, clamped down, then used a blow torch to heat it up, fed solder down to make a nice covered end cap, then used wide heat shrink and sealed it all up. Car felt better, nothing really you could put your finger on, but just another possible weakness checked off. Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
Wkd_VlArchived member
what did you use to secure the battery box in the boot
0 likes
dougall83Archived member
Battery box, just one from super cheap and that was fixed to boot floor,
0 likes
Wkd_VlArchived member
screwed down ?
0 likes
dougall83Archived member
Yeah screwed down,
0 likes
GenieeArchived member
i havnt done the battery in the boot myself, but could it be there is too much resistance on the line?
0 likes
dougall83Archived member
Yeah I'm not sure but was fine b4 I put battery in boot but like I said at start of thread I'm hopeless with wiring lol
0 likes
Wkd_VlArchived member
what size battery are you using
0 likes
GenieeArchived member
You can test the resistance of the connections by using a multimeter. just put the probes at each end of the wire, and you will get an Ohm reading. If theres a bad connection or cable is buggered, it should be high... I did this test on my spark leads before and then again on my new ones, it was a huge difference in Ohms.
0 likes
dougall83Archived member
ok so I finally got off me ass and had a look at these headlight wires, sorry if I sound like I have no idea but wiring is ****house and I sorta get voltage but ohms n stuff u sorta loose me so the voltage at the headlight, is pretty good on the low and high beam (https://imageshack.com/i/eydRc69jj) (https://imageshack.com/i/eyH9pcOdj) ---------- Post added 01-01-15 at 14:16 ---------- so that's the 2 power feeds to headlights then I put power on starter power "12volts" and checked all earths and the green earth was only (https://imageshack.com/i/p8igl7Kwj) ---------- Post added 01-01-15 at 14:19 ---------- checking it on power from lights and then stater motor wire the earth was only around 10.8 is this low for a headlight earth? should I check ohms? the only problem with ohms is the h/light loom is all over the place and might b a bit hard to track? ---------- Post added 01-01-15 at 14:28 ---------- battery is a 540cca repco and has 12.08 at the battery if that means anything? this is all tested with car not running and just lights on Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
Sign in or create an account to reply. New members are welcome—no purchase or old CT account needed.

Who’s online

0 members and 4 guests active in the last 15 minutes

No signed-in members active right now. Guests are welcome to browse.

Visitors Today47

3,683 threads, 23,233 posts and 355 images saved from CT