Back to shop ↗
THE HOLDEN COMMODORE FORUM

HOLDCOM Community

Built around the cars. Kept alive by the people.

+ Start a discussion
Holden Commodores gathered at Holdcom
Forum Home›Technical help
Technical help

Need Advice - First VL V6-V8 Conversion

Started by ftr666 · 12 July 2014 · 7 replies

Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗

ftr666Archived member
I know this has been asked again and again but... I've just bought a non-turbo VL and am looking to do a conversion to a 304 EFI Auto. I also picked up an VSII Berlina V8 off a mate for $1000 which runs beautifully. I know everyone keeps saying the VN has all the parts you need. My question is will i be able to do the same thing with the VSII Parts? i.e Loom, K-Frame, Gearbox mounts etc. Any help would be much appreciated. Cheers.
0 likes
5spdvlArchived member
V6-V8 conversion? The VL has a straight 6.
0 likes
WaughyArchived member
K-Frame you will be fine with, VL-VS use the same one. For clearance if you're running power steering you'll want a VN rack as the hyd lines run over instead of under like the VL so you should be right with header fittement. I had a 5L VL and fitted Genie headers, the driver side was touching the hyd lines on the rack, got a VN rack, no more trouble. Have a read through the conversion thread stickied in this V8 section, there should be info on the gearbox. There's a reason most go for the VN/VP gearbox, something about electronic control, but I'm not too sure what exactly, it's just an easier job with those boxes apparently.
0 likes
nate26Archived member
I'm currently doing this conversion. I can tell you it isn't a bolt in exercise. I'm fitting the 4L60E transmission and I've required a custom tailshaft and gearbox crossmember thus far. I had to remove the battery tray for the power steering pump to fit although you could modify it if you want to keep the battery in the engine bay. I'm also concerned about header clearnace with the rack as I'm running the standard VL P/S rack but I'm yet to have the Y pipe fitted so not sure what this will look like. You also need to modify the transmission tunnel as it's too narrow for the auto, particularly around the cooler line fittings. I bought computer and loom already modified with relays and it also came with instructions on how to wire up each relay to the VL's loom. There are also all the little things like modifying fuel lines etc
0 likes
WaughyArchived member
The VN rack should help if you need clearance for the headers. The other thing some guys do is ditch the power steering for manual, but those racks are getting hard to find, more so the intermediate shaft.
0 likes
NASTY1Archived member
no need for custom tail shaft.you put the front half of the donor trans with rear half of vl im fairly sure.it works that way with when installing a t5. like up above manual steering rack or a vn rack.
0 likes
nate26Archived member
Quote: Originally Posted by NASTY1 [View Post] no need for custom tail shaft.you put the front half of the donor trans with rear half of vl im fairly sure.it works that way with when installing a t5. like up above manual steering rack or a vn rack. that would be fine if I was using as T5 however, as mentioned, I'm using the 4L60E and the front half of the VS shaft, when bolted to the rear section of the VL shaft, was way too long.
0 likes
NASTY1Archived member
from what ive seen on google vn front half mated to vl rear fits.
0 likes
Sign in or create an account to reply. New members are welcome—no purchase or old CT account needed.

Who’s online

1 member and 14 guests active in the last 15 minutes

Visitors Today16

3,683 threads, 23,233 posts and 73 images saved from CT