Back to shop ↗
THE HOLDEN COMMODORE FORUM

HOLDCOM Community

Built around the cars. Kept alive by the people.

+ Start a discussion
Holden Commodores gathered at Holdcom
Forum Home›Technical help
Technical help

Check your tank hoses if tanks never been off

Started by Geniee · 28 June 2014 · 10 replies

Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗

GenieeArchived member
For anyone who hasnt pulled the tank off themselves, or painted it or whatever, i think its worth having a look and pulling it off to check hoses and stuff. I just pulled mine off today coz i want to paint it, i was shocked at the state of the breather hoses and stuff. They would have been original ones, and they were either already destroyed or removing them from their connections caused them to just crumble in my hands. I'm guessing they would not be helping fuel economy (vapour slowly leaking/evaporating) so yea, its really common sense, but through i would pop up a little post letting people know the state of mine. Wasn't hard to get off, the hardest part was trying to get my tow-bar off that runs under the tank. I also found that the best way to clean up all the grease and crap on the tank was to sand it. I tried all kinds of degreasers which didn't do much.
0 likes
ss nutArchived member
Common fault after 20 plus years.Easy to do. Cheers Marty
0 likes
GenieeArchived member
Ya. ill try get some E85 suitable hoses to future proof it a bit. Sooooo much dirt and crap fell off once i dropped it.
0 likes
TurismoArchived member
Haha what hoses. mine removed them selves from the car. Id just cut the filler neck off (do not use a grinder for obvious reasons and empty tank first leave it to breathe for a few days . Then get some hose and clamps and you will be able to drop the tank with out a fuss. And obviously clean the shavings out of the tank before re fitting. I just cut that ridged hose that snakes over the rail and replaced it with a flexible fuel hose. Oh... http://www.calaisturbo.com.au/showthread.php?t=274667 Fuel Tank Service Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
GenieeArchived member
awesome, thanks those pics will come in handy Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
5spdvlArchived member
@Turismo, how much did you pay for the 50mm filler hose? I looked into a few years ago at Repco and they wanted like $100/m.
0 likes
GenieeArchived member
I went to Supercheap myself and got 2Mt @ $9ish. Btw. anyone know where to get the intank-gasket without buying a new pump? The cork one.. I just went to repco and they couldnt get it. Rare spares looks like it has some for older holdens, but not VL specific. Maybe i can get the measurements and use a FJ one? GASKET FUEL TANK SENDER UNIT 48 FJ FE FC FB EK (http://www.rarespares.net.au/rarespares/ProductPage.aspx?product=7400739)
0 likes
chief355Archived member
Quote: Originally Posted by Geniee [View Post] I went to Supercheap myself and got 2Mt @ $9ish. Btw. anyone know where to get the intank-gasket without buying a new pump? The cork one.. I just went to repco and they couldnt get it. Rare spares looks like it has some for older holdens, but not VL specific. Maybe i can get the measurements and use a FJ one? GASKET FUEL TANK SENDER UNIT 48 FJ FE FC FB EK (http://www.rarespares.net.au/rarespares/ProductPage.aspx?product=7400739) Holden still sell these. Ask for one to suit a VS.
0 likes
GenieeArchived member
oh, great. thanks for that. I will go have a look tomorrow.
0 likes
tubular2Archived member
hi all, just thought i would ask what people have done with the intank fuel return to swirlpot line? mine was perished and i was able to remove the old line but could not get a new line on. my hands were to big and my kids were to weak to thread new hose on. ! cheers again calaisturbo . i looked and found great info !!!!!!! http://calaisturbo.com.au/showthread.php?t=257828
0 likes
GenieeArchived member
Hey, whats the best advice for reinstalling the tank, in regards to the filler neck grommet/rubber seal. I recall reading somewhere to install it in the body first and slip the tank/pipe through, or am i wrong? I dont really feel like moving the tank around heaps trying to wiggle it in esp. after giving the tank a respray...
0 likes
Sign in or create an account to reply. New members are welcome—no purchase or old CT account needed.

Who’s online

1 member and 4 guests active in the last 15 minutes

Visitors Today32

3,683 threads, 23,233 posts and 226 images saved from CT