Back to shop ↗
THE HOLDEN COMMODORE FORUM

HOLDCOM Community

Built around the cars. Kept alive by the people.

+ Start a discussion
Holden Commodores gathered at Holdcom
Forum Home›VL Commodore
VL Commodore

VL Turbo Berlina Rescue

Started by 350stato · 27 May 2014 · 22 replies

Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗

350statoArchived member
I bought this car about 18 months ago to save it from an idiot, Figured I may as well throw up a thread on it's progress, The previous owner thought it would be a great car to "do up" in true "P" plater style because "someone has put a turbo on it", It has had the usual mods, big FMIC, terrible looking wheels, awesome 5 speed supra gearbox conversion, a "fat exhaust" as I was told, hectik drift spec black bonnet, Calais front, tail lights, guard badges and some fantastic random head rests, and of coarse, and fully sick stezza, I will update the true heckticness of it all as I find some more pics to add The car itself is a July 1986 Madeira Red Turbo Berlina sedan with Sandlewood trim, The body is however in reasonable shape, it is quite straight and minimal rust, It still has the original motor and was only running 9psi so not overly thrashed to hard, although has done a couple of burnout's by the tyres that have been blown around both back door's. These few pics are as I started work on it, so the front was already removed as well as the moulds and strips around the windscreen, but will endevour to find pics of it as I got it, it was also wet in these pics so the paint somehow looks reasonable......It was not... Tags, the car is a very early turbo version and a keen eye will spot the difference in the tags, After some research and help form another couple of member' on here, I have discovered the car is in fact within the first 1200 turbo car's found, which to me help make it a part of history, more so as the car does not even have FE2 suspension Early chassis number... Most of the A8 motor's I have seen are stamped in a single line, this has the number "8" under the rest of the number, I am unsure if that is an early build thing or just a different plant thing Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
350statoArchived member
So a mate had agreed to tackle the rust and paint the car for me, so we wheeled it into the shed to make a start on it Started to put the standard front panel on Started to remove some more bit to find what rust etc was in it It turned out to be not so bad with the worst of it in the corner's as they do... ---------- Post added 31-05-14 at 08:19 ---------- Pulled out the rear window to reveal what was nothing more than surface rust, the car itself was in pretty good shape, with the only rust being under the boot seal, front windscreen was all clean, Rust being cut out of the boot seal area, I decided the bonnet was more work than it was worth and Gumtree and $30 provided this on... Forgot to take some more pics, but the rust is done here and the body straightened up a little... Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
3lturboArchived member
Go the Berlina Turbos! What are the plans for the car?
0 likes
350statoArchived member
Just going to put this one back to 100% standard, the idea is to make a nice weekend cruiser ---------- Post added 31-05-14 at 11:33 ---------- Car in primer... Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
INFLYTArchived member
Nice find/save man.
0 likes
350statoArchived member
So I went to my mate one day to check progress on the paint job. Original paint is clear over base, which apparently has the metallic in the clear coat, I cant say I was happy about everything being covered in overspray, but I guess I'll just have to clean it all up later, Car in base coat... Door jams, boot and under bonnet etc sprayed in top coat.... ---------- Post added 01-06-14 at 10:22 ---------- Bonnet back on and ready for the top coat on the rest of the car Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
dougall83Archived member
Cool man!! good to see more OG spec vl,s getting done
0 likes
MUSArchived member
Good save! I love these kind of builds, keep up the top effort. Any ideas on wheels yet?
0 likes
350statoArchived member
Thanks guys, I will try to get this up to current, just doing it as I find time Walked into my mates to see this one afternoon, was happy to see this.... Got a phone call the next day to see this turn up... It had been buffed but still looking dull and needed a decent wash and hand polish... We took plenty of pictures and measurements of the original black out's to replicate them, was pretty happy with his effort's Couple days later I got to giving it a wash and polish, looked a bit better, could start to put some bit's back onto it... Removed the cooler and put a standard crossover pipe back on... So I had been collecting some good bits for quite some time, I got 2 mint unbroken opera surround's, which as I'm sure most of you know, are now becoming very hard to find, also some mint chrome and weather strips etc, found some decent Berlina tail lights and garnish, I used the original head lights, boot strip and rear eyebrow's, The scratch guards are factory and the rear's had some damage due to the tyre's letting go so I had to round up some better ones which proved a little harder than I thought.. A couple of new badges that's been stashed away So a few circumstances changed with work etc, the car went into storage at my mate's for a while wher it would sit for the next 6 months to wait for me to come back... On the trailer and strapped down for it's new home... New badges can be seen here Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
BigM22Archived member
Awesome project mate! Loving the rebirth and return to original glory Hey it looked like it has SL front seats, whats the go there? or am i dreaming? lol Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
350statoArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by MUS [View Post] Good save! I love these kind of builds, keep up the top effort. Any ideas on wheels yet? Wheels will be the stock ones with hopefully original caps if I can find a full set Quote: Originally Posted by BigM22 [View Post] Awesome project mate! Loving the rebirth and return to original glory Hey it looked like it has SL front seats, whats the go there? or am i dreaming? lol Yes they are SL seats, no clue why, it has the Berlina rears, just the way it came ---------- Post added 01-06-14 at 17:40 ---------- Soo... fast forward 6 months and we are here... Although I wasn't getting to much mechanical just yet, I was offered a good price for the Supra box and conversion in the car, being it was destined to go back to auto anyway, I pulled the box and sold it, I also bought 4 new shocks as I knew they were stuffed as they came up at a decent price, although not top of the line, they were ok and car is only meant to be stock set up, and the front rotor's were stuffed anyway New rear shocks... This weekend's project included this car, pulled it out of it hole it's been hibernating in, poor thing doesn't look so nice... Any way, Put these together.. stuck it up here and did a little.... Rear shocks fitted and stone gaurd done... Gave the poor thing a bath, good as new... Now from sanding the bumper's etc, as far as I can see, the original paint colour on them was the MX Grey from the color flaking off easily and revealing the MX, at least I hope so, because that's what I did, Then decided to add some colour today Will hopefully get to doing the side badges through the week if I can and the rear filler strip's Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
dougall83Archived member
That's colour is mint and top job too mate!!!
0 likes
350statoArchived member
So I finally found some time to do a little on the Berlina again, Got most of the rear end sorted, Also got a good condition turbo auto box and convertor to go back into it as I have since removed and sold the Supra box that was in it Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
MUSArchived member
Its coming along great, looooks mint. Definitely my fav Berlina color.
0 likes
SIrollerArchived member
so much progress for page 1 i love it.
0 likes
philbyArchived member
turning out very nice! what a good save!
0 likes
350statoArchived member
Thanks guy's, Well forgot to take some pics but the auto is in, although nothing yet connected, think next on the list will be too strip the interior out and clean it all up, chase up some better seats as the front ones are only SL and the rears are pretty buggered
0 likes
satansLBOArchived member
love your work!
0 likes
doctordanArchived member
Great job!
0 likes
350statoArchived member
So unfortunately I've had zero time for this car and done next to nothing on it, I have however fitted the front bumper lol I'll even make a long drawn out dramatic post about it as it's all i've got...:P Bumper rio and mounts, not beautiful... mounted on.... Ok, I think that's drawn out enough, I did however roll it out and hose it off, didnt wash it though lol, actually looks like a car engine bay makes me sad still... ---------- Post added 09-01-15 at 17:31 ---------- Now this bit.... So with that said, It is with some regret, that I must put this car up for sale, I simply do not have the time to continue it with all the other projects and life in general and hope somebody will find the time to finish it off and enjoy it for what it is, will post an add up soon Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
Sign in or create an account to reply. New members are welcome—no purchase or old CT account needed.

Who’s online

1 member and 4 guests active in the last 15 minutes

Visitors Today32

3,683 threads, 23,233 posts and 227 images saved from CT