Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗
This is the latest and hopefully last VL project, I have had a few and this time I am keeping it!
The car I bought is a series 1, 1986 model Executive, NO aircon, but does have power steer, It was owned by an elderly couple from new, who bought the car from Zupp's in Ipswich, Brisbane, and still has the original sticker on the rear window, I am unsure if the car was a demo car or not, being an early model with what I am sure are dealer sticker's along the bottom, When the original owner died, his wife let it sit in the shed for about 12 months before selling it, The person who bought it drove it twice, it broke down and there it sat in his shed for another 12 months not running, he had replaced the fuel pumps, CAS and ignition module, leads, plugs, AFM and some relay's trying to find the problem but could not,
He then sold it to me for $700 not running, I towed it home, checked the obvious stuff first and it turned out to be CAS sensor plug had broken wires, rejoined them and away it went....
Now while this car is not mint, it is also not a **** tin, it is however rust free, the interior is in very good condition, which was something the really took it over the line for me, The colour was not my original choice, but it did strike me and it was not the usual white and tidy VL you'd expect as a sleeper, I did want a White or Maranello Red SL with Grey interior as per my first one
The paint code comes as White Gold, although looks a little darker to me, maybe like Platinum, and has clearly had 1 or 2 repairs in it's life but all very minor, It has the obvious "old man bumps" in the bumpers and also a couple of fantastic "old man" style repair's to those area's, Now the original plan was to respray it and make it super tidy and then build the running gear, but now I'm thinking I'll leave it as, and just go straight to the running gear, rough old man sleeper??
The first thing I did was fitting the parcel shelf cover, dash mat, windscreen wiper stay's and the rear venetians as I have had these sitting around, oddly enough considering I had no interest in going to a Sandlewood interior and just hadn't gotten to getting rid of them, maybe it was meant to be.....
[Image in original archive]
[Image in original archive]
[Image in original archive]
[Image in original archive]
[Image in original archive]
[Image in original archive]
[Image in original archive]
[Image in original archive]
[Image in original archive]
[Image in original archive]
0 likes
So while I have a couple of other projects to finish before I start this one, I have still been collecting a few bits and pieces as they come up,
The entire Idea behind this car is a super budget build and see how far we can go for as little as possible,
I have a locked turbo diff from another VL I stripped a few years ago, So I will be using that untill the time comes to find and fit an LSD, (we all know what a diff looks like)
I came across a drop box and B&M Pro Ratchet shifter for the right price so I jumped on it
[Image in original archive]
[Image in original archive]
I've also come across an auto box for it, I got it for a good price, has the bellhousing I need, a Taipan 5K convertor, manual valvebody and transbrake, as the main idea is a straight line because let's face it, VL's suck at cornering...
[Image in original archive]
[Image in original archive]
[Image in original archive]
[/COLOR]Did a bit of a trade off for this turbo, it's only a china thing, but will do the job and has already proven itself on an 8 sec car @ 29psi, so should be ok, It's an GT42r copy, has a 106 rear so should suit the 3ltr 6cyl nicely,
[Image in original archive]
[Image in original archive]
I also swapped an old Cannon muffler I was going to bin for this BOV, unsure how that happened but it did so pretty happy with that
[Image in original archive]
I bought this thing for another project but ended up changing so I'll throw it at this car, should do for now, but will need to go bigger eventually
[Image in original archive]
0 likes
42r and transbreak love ur style!!!!
0 likes
So as much as I wasn't going to really let on what's going on here, Was even going to remove rocker covers for pics to make sh t hard, Figured I may as well let it all hang out....
New motor for the build turned up last week, I'm going to run a 2JZGE (factory non turbo) motor,
I have a few mates that run pretty big HP 2JZ cars, and after talking to them, the idea of running a GE (non-turbo) head has bounced around due to the fact the ports etc are much larger than the GTE head so should actually flow better and make more power,
This one has a genuine 69,000klms on it, so should be mint, they share the same rods etc as the GTE motor's and will handle boost quite well, I'll strip it down, check bearings etc, put in some ARP rod bolts and head studs and a MLS (Genuine Toyota 2JZGTE) head gasket before bolting it in with the built C4 box up there ^^,
I plan on starting to run the car on stock internals apart from the ARP bolts and starting out at about 30psi on E85, eventually I will add cams, boost and timing,
That Yellow has to go...
[Image in original archive]
[Image in original archive]
0 likes
So this car has been in storage for the last 3 years while life itself has taken toll and other projects were being sorted, Now that the other project has almost come to a close, It's time to make this one happen, especially since this car was bought before the current project and side lined...
So the time came to drag it's sorry arse home and make something of it,
[Image in original archive]
[Image in original archive]
[Image in original archive]
Unfortunately, It has not fared well in the make shift storage facility....
[Image in original archive]
[Image in original archive]
This....is not just dust...... It seems there was something that was spread over the car, kind of like grinding sparks from someone (no, not me)
So after suffering minor depression, I pulled the car out further for a better lok at weather this car would indeed be the final build or if i would have to let it go...
[Image in original archive]
[Image in original archive]
I took it home and gave it a bath to help decide it's fate... being the this car was all for the purpose of a budget build
[Image in original archive]
[Image in original archive]
Even almost looks good again... almost...
[Image in original archive]
[Image in original archive]
[Image in original archive]
So after talking to a couple of mates, and having a long think, and adding the fact that a repair like this being that it would have to be a bare metal job on the roof and bonnet, both front guards, half the front panel and a couple of spots of 3 doors, that this would not be cheap, a full respray would be needed,......
but the bloody car has grown on me, so bugger it, the budget's f*^ked, I'll start stripping it in the next couple of weeks and send it off for a full birthday, before i do anything, I'll get the decals copied and remade, then it will be striped back and re-sprayed in the original colour (White Gold)
The fact that I am going to continue this car means cut's need to be made, and the money needs to come from somewhere, which unfortunately includes selling my other Turbo Berlina project car
Updates soon.....
0 likes
So I have some more bit's collected for this, I have some upper control arms off a car a mate parted out, he gave these to me helping him strip it so that helps the budget
[Image in original archive]
[Image in original archive]
Also came across this cheap, Platinum series Haltech Sprint 500, should do the job ok
[Image in original archive]
[Image in original archive]
0 likes
not bad. if you wnt an epic sleeper keep the rust and the stickers and whatnot.
you can still budget build this!
0 likes
Thanks mate, I have considered it, but it is actually starting to take toll, and it will end up turning to sh t if I dont fix it now, So while I am getting the body done, the rest of the build will stick to the same budget.... or less.......
So the painter came back with the paint card he made up, was a bit put off when I put it on the roof, amazing how much the sun can damage the paint, and as I said earlier, the car looked darker than the original colour was meant to be
This is on the roof..
[Image in original archive]
This one is on the boot as it has been redone at some point and much closer...
[Image in original archive]
So I took off a mould on the door that I knew had not had any repairs and cleaned the paint as it was undamaged from any elements and found this, Much better, getting keen to make this happen now...
[Image in original archive]
0 likes
Well the car is off to the painters soon, so I've started to strip it out a bit to send it off, not a great deal to tell that the pictures won't, It's definitely a very original car...
[Image in original archive]
[Image in original archive]
Boot floor is clean, happy about that, pretty much bugger all rust except the little bit under the seal near the rear screen that has already been patched..
[Image in original archive]
[Image in original archive]
[Image in original archive]
And all this fun stuff to do along the way...
[Image in original archive]
[Image in original archive]
[Image in original archive]
I can see none of the door trims have ever been removed before, pulling this car apart sadden's me a little ha ha..
[Image in original archive]
[Image in original archive]
All the exterior trims are almost done, Still need to remove the motor and box, which after checking the original book, turn out to be the original motor for the car,
[Image in original archive]
[Image in original archive]
Started to pull the interior out so I can clean it all for when it comes back.....
[Image in original archive]
[Image in original archive]
Found this aswell, nice to see..
[Image in original archive]
[Image in original archive]
Now, I'm thinking I'll put it back under the carpet, I figure it's lasted this long, and I obviously have pictures..
Interesting to see the car was an ordered item, rather than just a built and sold car, the car was sold new in Ipswich,
Time to put it away and do some more later
[Image in original archive]
0 likes
27-01-15, 16:13 GMT+10#10 Nice mate! What colour do you want to get it sprayed?
0 likes
27-01-15, 17:25 GMT+10#11 Quote:
Originally Posted by BigM22
[View Post]
Nice mate! What colour do you want to get it sprayed?
I'm guessing the same colour going by the paint cards?
0 likes
27-01-15, 17:40 GMT+10#12 oh yeah that'd be logical lol
---------- Post added 27-01-15 at 18:41 ----------
(no sarcasm)
0 likes
28-01-15, 13:49 GMT+10#13 @350 stato,
laminate the orders and stick them back under. keep a photocopy or even the original in a file on the car with reiepts and owners manual etc.
but either way dont put it back under as is. only takes one spilt coffee or coke.
0 likes
30-01-15, 12:46 GMT+10#14 Yes it's going back to the original colour (White Gold)
SIroller: I'm going to put the order sheets in a folder, with all of the other paperwork, There shouldnt be anybody with any open drinks etc in it when it's done anyway lol
I don't plan on ever selling the car, I have (obviously) digital copy's of them now anyway
The people for the decals came out yesterday to copy them to be reproduced, this was a slight drama as the first bloke I waited for 5 days to turn up to look at them then told me 2 days before it's due to go to paint that he couldn't match them, Despite being sent numerous detailed photo's of them (useless d!ckhead) But the chick from the new place looked, took a couple sample colours, few pics and measurments, says it's an easy job, they will be ready next week
[Image in original archive]
[Image in original archive]
[Image in original archive]
So yesterday an today are quite busy days on this, yesterday's efforts looked like this....
[Image in original archive]
[Image in original archive]
[Image in original archive]
[Image in original archive]
[Image in original archive]
At this point I wonder the sanity of the company I keep.....
[Image in original archive]
And in the trailer, tied down, Coffee then delivered to the new owner, Poor thing didn't even touch the ground lol
[Image in original archive]
I pulled the carpet this morning, found yet another build sheet, the first was on the right side rear floor, this one was on the left side front
They are both the same sheet, different marks on them,
[Image in original archive]
[Image in original archive]
So the carpet is out, a keen eye will spot my next find,
[Image in original archive]
Now as much as I know about the build sheet's, I have never seen this one before....
The wet area is my fault and I'm kicking myself a little, It's wet from pulling the heater hoses and it running through an open hole in the firewall
[Image in original archive]
[Image in original archive]
Interesting enough, although there is little written on it, and it was well stuck to the sound deadening, so I got a little damage, but still reasonably saved
So lunch is over, time to go strip some more and make the next round of the build happen...
---------- Post added 30-01-15 at 21:57 ----------
So I've stripped the engine bay of anything not needed or being replaced,
[Image in original archive]
Battery tray removal, The battery will be mounted in the boot, Drilling the spot welds is the best way to remove these.
[Image in original archive]
[Image in original archive]
[Image in original archive]
Maybe I'll put it on the other side........
[Image in original archive]
No.....
Charcol canister will be removed to make way for the turbo/exhaust
[Image in original archive]
[Image in original archive]
[Image in original archive]
So with all that done, The bonnet has been put back on, and car has been dropped at the shop to be sorted and painted,
More updates soon......
[Image in original archive]
[Image in original archive]
0 likes
31-01-15, 10:44 GMT+10#15 very nice.
good the decals are getting reproduced. theyre not the coolest thing out there and there'll be a bit of hate on them but they set the car apart and really help the sleeper angle. it screams "grandpa optioned this decal when it was new" like the vacationer and limited edition sticker sets.
re the paint sheet never seen that before either. strange but cool.
I'd definately laminate those sheets though.
0 likes
31-01-15, 12:16 GMT+10#16 Quote:
Originally Posted by SIroller
[View Post]
very nice.
good the decals are getting reproduced. theyre not the coolest thing out there and there'll be a bit of hate on them but they set the car apart and really help the sleeper angle. it screams "grandpa optioned this decal when it was new" like the vacationer and limited edition sticker sets.
re the paint sheet never seen that before either. strange but cool.
I'd definately laminate those sheets though.
Thanks mate, yeah I will be definitly laminating the sheets, Just won't be putting them back under the carpet, Still unsure what the markings mean on the paint sheet,
Yeah, I figured the decal's wouldn't be loved by some lol, but it's all about keeping it "looking original", and was an option the car had, I think it break's up the colour a bit and as you said, set's it aside a bit, will be at the shop later today so I'll snap a couple of pics if I can while I'm there
0 likes
31-01-15, 16:13 GMT+10#17 I like the stickers, reckon it sets it off more and definitely will enhance the sleeper look
0 likes
31-01-15, 18:56 GMT+10#18 Quote:
Originally Posted by BigM22
[View Post]
I like the stickers, reckon it sets it off more and definitely will enhance the sleeper look
Thanks mate, Yeah i like them, In fact the whole scheme of the car has really grown on me, That said......
I stopped into the panel shop today to drop off all the bumper's, moulds etc....
[Image in original archive]
[Image in original archive]
[Image in original archive]
[Image in original archive]
This side front guard has at some stage been replaced, We can see it's a replacement panel due to the black under neath all of the paint, this is one of the repair's I had picked, looking at the front panel, you can see the "pink" bog, which is the repair, this also tells me it was a pretty minor hit from the side, maybe someone backed into it type of damage, the other damage is the small tap in the back, which was pretty obvious, minor amount of bog was used in the boot lid, which these guy re-done the repair, apart from that, the car had no other bog in it anywhere
[Image in original archive]
The roof is all bare metaled. He said the whole body is in fantastic shape, and there has only been 2 minor previous repair's that I already picked, so pretty happy with that,
[Image in original archive]
Bonnet has already been bare metal and in primer, again, he said it needed nothing done to it...
[Image in original archive]
[Image in original archive]
Absolutly stoked with the progress, I'm seriously amazed how fast they are getting through it
More soon......
0 likes
31-01-15, 19:05 GMT+10#19 yeah mate, thats awesome progress.
another fan of the stickers!
what wheels are you gonna run?
0 likes
31-01-15, 19:18 GMT+10#20 Quote:
Originally Posted by #adz
[View Post]
yeah mate, thats awesome progress.
another fan of the stickers!
what wheels are you gonna run?
Will be running silver 15" stocko's, I have 15x4's (as pictured further up) with dress rims etc, and 15x7's with 255 ET Streets for track days, and 2 15x6 and 2 15x7 with 225's for street
0 likes