Back to shop ↗
THE HOLDEN COMMODORE FORUM

HOLDCOM Community

Built around the cars. Kept alive by the people.

+ Start a discussion
Holden Commodores gathered at Holdcom
Forum Home›Technical help
Technical help

VL V8 Berlina

Started by 8banga · 24 May 2014 · 16 replies

Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗

8bangaArchived member
I have come across a V8 Berlina June 87 all original except for it is running on gas 175000kms condition 8.5 out of 10 no rust all books interior best I have seen I do have a couple of questions someone on here may be able to help with -How much do you think it would be worth? -It does not have electric mirrors do all berlina's have this option? -what hubcaps does the v8 run it has turbo hubcaps on it at the monent is this how it came from the factory? Any feedback would be helpful
0 likes
NASTY1Archived member
is it the silver one thats for sale? not all berlinas are power optioned.maybe a bit more info but around 5k+ if its the one I seen.
0 likes
VL-DanArchived member
V8 Berlina's come with "Turbo" hubcaps from factory yep Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
8bangaArchived member
Thanks for the replys It is for sale at the monent the only reasons I look at it was because it is so original I want to keep it that way if I buy it. It has some stone chips a bit of paint fade on the bonnet, roof and boot but for how old it is I can not fault it everything works including air con and electrical ariel. No oil leaks he wants $8000 and comes with some spares
0 likes
5spdvlArchived member
The Berlina option gave you: Pinstriping Grey bumpers Berlina darker tailights & rear garnish Berlina interior AC PS Cruise Basic rear reading lights Auto trans Anything else was requested by the buyer.
0 likes
CorsaArchived member
AC and Cruise were not standard fitment on a Berlina. Corsa
0 likes
BoyracerArchived member
6G from what you have described, still reasonable kays with a motor waiting to breathe. I know a lot of people are dropping in efi donks but good carby VLs are becoming collectable. You would think a Berlina would come stock with air con.
0 likes
8bangaArchived member
I have bought this car for a bit more than $6ooo but not much more it came with spares like 10 turbo hubcaps and all the original exhaust. Boyracer don't worry i will not be modifying this car it will stay as it left the factory. thanks again for all the replys
0 likes
BoyracerArchived member
You can put a small fanbelt on top of the air filter to lift the filter lid for more air, then you will need stractors and mild cam so it runs how it was intended, remember these were strangled to death to meet the first unleaded emission laws, thats why everyone dissed them out.
0 likes
WaughyArchived member
A set of extractors, high flow metal core cat and 2-1/2 inch cutback system if you do anything. That's all I did with my 5L Calais and it sounded fantastic. Went well too. Gee I miss it. Hope the berlina is as good as it sounds. Enjoy.
0 likes
LUXJETArchived member
Sounds exactly the same as my old Berlina. Unless your gonna restore it and sit on it for 20 years I'd do what boy racer and Waughy said. You can always return it to standard engine wise or find another lv2 motor and spend a few grand on a freshen up, cam, carb and exhaust. This is my old car about 1000kms after the rebuild, didn't wanna rev it hard but it had plenty of power from 2000-6500rpm. I miss that car http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WAWWVbsl948 http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EMCILpyyuaI
0 likes
WaughyArchived member
Another thing I did was replace the intake manifold (not by choice, and not much fun). I found a reproduction of the factory manifold but it was modified at manufacture with the 2 holes over the 4, like the Brock manifolds, and it also had a ribbed inlet chamber floor, instead of smooth. I never got to having the car tuned but I swear it went better as it was with the new inlet setup. Plus it looked factory still, which is what I wanted. I have a thread on it here: http://www.calaisturbo.com.au/showthread.php?t=131031 plenty of pics with all the goodies I added to it. Oh yeah, if they are still intact, look after the vac switches on the front of the manifold. If they break you'll have next to no luck replacing them. Unless someone has started making aftermarket replacements in the last few years.
0 likes
BoyracerArchived member
The guy wants to keep it stock and we just spent a couple of grand for him, old habits.
0 likes
LUXJETArchived member
I reckon I seen those trees somewhere a few months back waughy. I think those 955 Brock inlets were stock on the vl 8? Sent from my ZTE T83 using Tapatalk
0 likes
WaughyArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by LUXJET [View Post] I reckon I seen those trees somewhere a few months back waughy. I think those 955 Brock inlets were stock on the vl 8? Sent from my ZTE T83 using Tapatalk Possibly you did, but I know when I was looking about 5 years ago they were like rocking horse sh!t, near on impossible to find (in working order at least, most had nipples missing or the plastic was brittle and cracked). I got lucky and found the passenger side one at Holden and got the driver one free from a forum member doing up a VK for the track. As for the manifold, the factory one I removed had the 4 holes to match the carby, and the chamber floor was smooth. Don't think I have any pics to show. It was definitely different to the reproduction one I fitted.
0 likes
8bangaArchived member
Thanks for all the comments guys It already has a set of extractors and a 3 inch exhaust all the original parts came with the car other than that I am going to leave it standard. It drives like a new car and am very happy with it
0 likes
WaughyArchived member
Sounds good, just need some pics for us to drool over, and me to shed a tear for the one I let get away.
0 likes
Sign in or create an account to reply. New members are welcome—no purchase or old CT account needed.

Who’s online

1 member and 15 guests active in the last 15 minutes

Visitors Today17

3,683 threads, 23,233 posts and 75 images saved from CT