Back to shop ↗
THE HOLDEN COMMODORE FORUM

HOLDCOM Community

Built around the cars. Kept alive by the people.

+ Start a discussion
Holden Commodores gathered at Holdcom
Forum Home›General discussion
General discussion

My First Car - Original VL Calais

Started by Daniel96 · 4 May 2014 · 14 replies

Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗

Daniel96Archived member
Hey, ive always wanted a VL Calais and after 5 months of looking for a immaculate one, I finally bought my 1st car last night at 17 years old. This is one of the cleanest original VL Calais in Wollongong Make/Model - VL Calais 1987 Series 2 Colour - Red/Maroon over Silver. Engine - RB30 N/A 145,000 Kms Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
Daniel96Archived member
Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
3lturboArchived member
Looks nice and original, good work!
0 likes
Vl_CalaisArchived member
Looks like the car on eBay at the moment...Either way, nice example.
0 likes
Daniel96Archived member
Quote: Originally Posted by Vl_Calais [View Post] Looks like the car on eBay at the moment...Either way, nice example. What do you mean its on ebay? I dont think ill ever sell it. Can you post a link where you seen it? ---------- Post added 06-05-14 at 14:37 ---------- Quote: Originally Posted by 3lturbo [View Post] Looks nice and original, good work! Thanks Just going to take the tow-bar and mudflaps off. Then later ill put 20s on, but ill still keep the Calais wheels. Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
philbyArchived member
Thats f king mint! you must have paid a fortune!
0 likes
BigM22Archived member
Quote: Originally Posted by Daniel96 [View Post] What do you mean its on ebay? I dont think ill ever sell it. Can you post a link where you seen it? ---------- Post added 06-05-14 at 14:37 ---------- Thanks Just going to take the tow-bar and mudflaps off. Then later ill put 20s on, but ill still keep the Calais wheels. It's your car and you can do what you want but I'm going to share my 2 cents anyway please don't put 20s, please! Keep the muddies! They're also good as you won't flick rocks up and chip the paint along side skirts and lower parts of your door. On such an immac Calais I'd be doing everything in my power to protect it!! Seriously mint car man!! I'm jealous Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
Daniel96Archived member
Quote: Originally Posted by philby [View Post] Thats f king mint! you must have paid a fortune! Well the owner first wanted $10k for it but I got him down a fair bit. he was an older guy in his late 40s and said he hardly drove it, so I highly doubt its ever been thrashed around. Runs very smooth. ---------- Post added 06-05-14 at 19:29 ---------- Quote: Originally Posted by BigM22 [View Post] It's your car and you can do what you want but I'm going to share my 2 cents anyway please don't put 20s, please! Keep the muddies! They're also good as you won't flick rocks up and chip the paint along side skirts and lower parts of your door. On such an immac Calais I'd be doing everything in my power to protect it!! Seriously mint car man!! I'm jealous I love AME Modelart 20s on a VL, but for now im going to leave it. Just going to put white walls. Im thinking of taking the muddies & tow-bar off tonight, not really a fan of it. ---------- Post added 06-05-14 at 19:34 ---------- Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
BigM22Archived member
I think I've just become too much of an originality nut, when I took the muddies mine, I immediately regretted it, and can't go back now only have half a set Anyway as I said, do what you like, it's yours! But IMO, a touch lower, no muddies and the Calais wheels would look top notch Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
FLY-03LArchived member
That thing is immaculate. DONT RUIN IT youll regret it in years to come
0 likes
INFLYTArchived member
Very nice. You bought this from Oatley yeah?
0 likes
Daniel96Archived member
Quote: Originally Posted by BigM22 [View Post] I think I've just become too much of an originality nut, when I took the muddies mine, I immediately regretted it, and can't go back now only have half a set Anyway as I said, do what you like, it's yours! But IMO, a touch lower, no muddies and the Calais wheels would look top notch Yeh im going to take them off, but ill still keep them in the boot or something so if one day I ever want them back on theyre there. ---------- Post added 06-05-14 at 22:51 ---------- Quote: Originally Posted by FLY-03L [View Post] That thing is immaculate. DONT RUIN IT youll regret it in years to come Sure is it makes me want to buy another VL one thats cheap just for burnouts lol. I cant do a burnout in this hurts to wreck such a good car. In the 5 months of looking for a VL Calais, there was nothing like this. ---------- Post added 06-05-14 at 22:54 ---------- Quote: Originally Posted by INFLYT [View Post] Very nice. You bought this from Oatley yeah? I met up with the owner at a servo in Mortdale and bought it there. Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
12maneymArchived member
Fark that's a minter! Don't wreck it dude please
0 likes
CYNICLArchived member
You remind me of myself a bit, haha! Looking for ages to find a stock OG VL, then feeling bad about wanting to mod it. I kept my car stock for a year, then after that started doing things, but always kept stock parts and did things correctly and tastefully. I don't think you need to keep it 100% original if you don't want to, and let's face it standard they aren't that fun to drive after awhile. Do what makes you happy, just don't do anything you'll regret! In a scene as big as this there will be plenty of opinions being forced down your throat so do what you enjoy.
0 likes
Daniel96Archived member
Quote: Originally Posted by CYNICL [View Post] You remind me of myself a bit, haha! Looking for ages to find a stock OG VL, then feeling bad about wanting to mod it. I kept my car stock for a year, then after that started doing things, but always kept stock parts and did things correctly and tastefully. I don't think you need to keep it 100% original if you don't want to, and let's face it standard they aren't that fun to drive after awhile. Do what makes you happy, just don't do anything you'll regret! In a scene as big as this there will be plenty of opinions being forced down your throat so do what you enjoy. Haha yep, ive always wanted to build a 9 - 10 second street VL Calais as I grew up around these cars, but im thinking of getting another one in a couple of years and going all out on it instead of modifying the one I have now. Might put 20s on later just for abit then put the calais wheels back on when im over them. No chance im touching the interior. I love the car I want to keep it forever, but sometimes it can get abit boring because I don't let myself do burnouts haha.
0 likes
Sign in or create an account to reply. New members are welcome—no purchase or old CT account needed.

Who’s online

1 member and 5 guests active in the last 15 minutes

Visitors Today32

3,683 threads, 23,233 posts and 225 images saved from CT