Back to shop ↗
THE HOLDEN COMMODORE FORUM

HOLDCOM Community

Built around the cars. Kept alive by the people.

+ Start a discussion
Holden Commodores gathered at Holdcom
Forum Home›General discussion
General discussion

Which turbo 6 for a hg

Started by chipper · 21 Mar 2014 · 5 replies

Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗

chipperArchived member
Hey guys once I ofload my other car I will be starting a driveline conversion on my grampa spec hg.Now it must be 6cyl my choices are rb30 , 2j, or barra 4 ltr.Now im not fussed with either engine but must be bang for buck combo with best results.Driveable sedate combo that I can have some fun in.What engine would you choose and why? Cheers
0 likes
RB-GEMArchived member
I'd personally pick a 2J . Stock internals with a decent sized turbo and it will make over 500 hp at the wheels . Try and do that with any stock RB .
0 likes
3lturboArchived member
I'd be inclined to go with the 2J, or a boosted LS. Even an unopened LS1 will see 400rwkw with the likes of a GT42. Will be reliable, and placid off-boost, as well as cool in an HG as well.
0 likes
chipperArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by 3lturbo [View Post] I'd be inclined to go with the 2J, or a boosted LS. Even an unopened LS1 will see 400rwkw with the likes of a GT42. Will be reliable, and placid off-boost, as well as cool in an HG as well. Yeah I do agree but ive done the Ls route before and I want to have a go at a turbo 6. Why 2j? I no there strong but wouldn't more cubes be better option and less lag?
0 likes
RB-GEMArchived member
They're a tough engine and they have a huge range of aftermarket parts for them in Japan and the US . Tough and reliable is what you're after . Set up right you shouldn't have any major lag issues , just choose your turbo wisely .
0 likes
chipperArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by 3lturbo [View Post] I'd be inclined to go with the 2J, or a boosted LS. Even an unopened LS1 will see 400rwkw with the likes of a GT42. Will be reliable, and placid off-boost, as well as cool in an HG as well. Yeah I do agree but ive done the Ls route before and I want to have a go at a turbo 6. Why 2j? I no there strong but wouldn't more cubes be better option and less lag?
0 likes
Sign in or create an account to reply. New members are welcome—no purchase or old CT account needed.

Who’s online

0 members and 0 guests active in the last 15 minutes

No signed-in members active right now. Guests are welcome to browse.

Visitors Today108

10,653 threads, 77,390 posts and 955 images saved from CT

31.1% of indexed threads saved