Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗
I have recently bought a 87 VL Executive for my first car, I am currently 16 and 17 this year. I am intending to fix it her all up, and then start with the other exterior modifications and engine etc. I bought it for 2600 from an old man, who bought it from his friend and before that it was owned by the government so, there has only been 3 owners before myself. There are minimal downsides to the car which include one dent on the boot, some rust here and there and just some poor paint 'fixes' made by the previous owner. Since I am repainting the car, I was wondering if I should have it one tone white or white over grey. Just need to choose the grey as well (if I go with that). In the end I think it was a good deal anyway, tell me what you think!
Make / Model: 1987 VL Executive
Colour: One tone white, intending to respray.
Bodykit: No
Engine Type: RB30E (Non Turbo)
Engine Mods: None at the moment
Power: 114KW (stock)
Exhaust: Stock
Gearbox: Automatic
Diff: Stock
Brakes: Stock all round
Suspension: Stock (Will lower it)
Wheels/Tyres: Stock, with white hubcaps
Interior: Stock Blue
Stereo: I am pretty sure it is stock, not 100% sure as I am new to the VL scene.
Other Mods:
None, I am aware of.
Future mods:
New rims (probably pursuities)
New exhaust
Remove rust, and repaint the whole car (Going for the a pearl white over grey, but not sure about what grey to pick yet please suggest below)
Lower it on Super Lows
Turbo Conversion
Pictures:
Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
Got some new pursuit rims, the one on currently is the spare off my old man's car though. It was just to see what it looked like, looks good imo, as they normally do on VL's. The other 4 are in my garage and have surface rust so need to be sanded and painted. They have no tyres on atm though.
Here is how it looks with rally wheels on, just to see, defenitley not putting them on, as when on the back they hang out a lot.
Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
nice base to work on bud well done.....
I have to say MX bumpers will look the better if done properly.
(http://s911.photobucket.com/user/jamesglaskin/media/whitemx15s_zps5811df9f.jpg.html)
(http://s911.photobucket.com/user/jamesglaskin/media/whitemxsl_zps2d35086c.jpg.html)
Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
Damn, they do look better, they aren't so "blendy" with the car are they? And they look really good with the pursuit rims. Changing my mind once again haha, will do. I am also probably painting the whole car itself a diamond white.
0 likes
Looks pretty clean mate! Definitely a good base to start with, unmolested is a big plus!
Definitely MX grey looks tops, white over grey is one of the best colour combos for a VL imo
0 likes
Thanks man. Yeah I know right? Will keep updating the thread.
0 likes
Update: Probably going to go for the one tone, like XCHASE has done. IMO I think it would look great, what do you guys think?
0 likes
It's already one tone lol.
0 likes
I am repainting ^. It has rust that needs removing, and I am repainting whole thing, so just saying I might stay with one tone, rather than two. But my decisions will change over time most likely.
0 likes
22-03-14, 00:21 GMT+10#10 Have you considered something like an HDT LE/Sport kit to compliment the singletone more? All white with the kit in berlina spec would look great IMO.
0 likes
22-03-14, 00:39 GMT+10#11 Hmm don't know honestly. Might go with the two tone, since its different for me. I like both, but I know my decisions will change over time.
0 likes
22-03-14, 11:36 GMT+10#12 Quote:
Originally Posted by CYNICL
[View Post]
Have you considered something like an HDT LE/Sport kit to compliment the singletone more? All white with the kit in berlina spec would look great IMO.
Always looks nice!
0 likes
23-03-14, 22:58 GMT+10#13 Quick update: Today I detailed the car with the old man, and have decided to paint my pursuit rims a gloss black. I will be putting chrome caps, bolts and trim on the wheels, which imo will look nice when done.
0 likes
24-03-14, 21:18 GMT+10#14 You must be Psychotik, paint them the correct silver as above and frisbee the chrome dress rings as far away from your car as you can.
Great starting project.
0 likes
24-03-14, 21:24 GMT+10#15 What is wrong with the chrome dress rings? And I wish to make my car stand out and different, rather than the generic VL with them silver pursuities. Please explain as to why they would look bad, etc.
0 likes
24-03-14, 21:40 GMT+10#16 Nothing wrong with chrome dress rings in my opinion, but would advise against black stockies. I never understood the appeal of these, makes it look like you're running on your spare wheels... Looks very cheap and will probably attract more po-po. Silver with dress rings can be nice, though.
This is what I was running for about 18 months. Silver steelies and centrecaps with chrome rings. I liked it but got bored. (And steel wheels handle pretty sh1t)
Up to you though it's your car.
Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
24-03-14, 21:49 GMT+10#17 Dunno hey, I think that the black rims will make it stand out, especially with the silver rings, caps and bolts. Just my opinion, I got the idea from PROVLT.
---------- Post added 24-03-14 at 19:50 ----------
Maybe not the caps, will paint the caps the same black.
Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
25-03-14, 17:17 GMT+10#18 Chaser rims are meant to look like chaser rims, e.g cop car street use.
Look close at post 3, the rims look bigger without the chrome rings.
0 likes
25-03-14, 18:20 GMT+10#19 I want my car to look different. PROVLT, looks quite amazing with rims like that. I am doing it anyway.
0 likes
25-03-14, 19:41 GMT+10#20 If you do that I will find your car and paint the wheels while your asleep.
0 likes