Back to shop ↗
THE HOLDEN COMMODORE FORUM

HOLDCOM Community

Built around the cars. Kept alive by the people.

+ Start a discussion
Holden Commodores gathered at Holdcom
Forum Home›General discussion
General discussion

Amp Guidance

Started by nate26 · 14 Feb 2014 · 3 replies

Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗

nate26Archived member
Hello all, I've just purchased a pair of Shok Industries Triton 12 inch subwoofers. While I'm fairly adept at installing basic stereo systems I've not had a great deal of experience with matching dual voice coil woofers with amps and the most effective way to wire them. The sub specs are as follows: The Triton 12″ features a 3 inch dual 4 ohm voice coil rated at 500 watts RMS and a 3.4KG magnet assembly. Specifications (VCs in series) re-7.5ohm fs-30hz qts-.50 qes-.55 qms-4.87 vas-1.1cu ft sens-84.4dB SPL mms-218g Mounting Depth : 162mm Mounting Diameter : 280mm So the real question is, which amplifier setup will suit these the best considering the power requirements? Will I need a capacitor? I'm currently running only 4 gauge wire. Will this be thick enough? this was in place from a previous install by the previous owner. These will be fitted to the boot of a VL Commodore. Cheers
0 likes
MrSquigleArchived member
setup subs in series, 8ohms per sub x2 will see 4 ohm load at the amplifier. Ideally you want a mono amp capable of 4ohm load at 1000wrms, should be an easy find. this diagram will help you: http://a248.e.akamai.net/pix.crutchf...4-ohm_mono.jpg (http://a248.e.akamai.net/pix.crutchfield.com/ca/learningcenter/car/subwoofer_wiring/2DVC_4-ohm_mono.jpg)
0 likes
nate26Archived member
I thought subs like these were meant to be wired in parallel to reduce the impedance, hence providing more power? Which would mean a requirement for 2000wrms? Again perhaps I'm naive but I was also of the view that a mono was designed to be wired for a single channel which would mean in parallel that I would require an additional amp? Sorry about the simple questions! Cheers
0 likes
MrSquigleArchived member
if you want spl and sound quality is not your goal, then you go parallel down to 1ohm with these subs. you would then need a 1ohm stable amp that will push 1000wrms or there abouts. I am not familiar with these subs, but if they are more SPL design then the above may be better option for you if chasing outright power.
0 likes
Sign in or create an account to reply. New members are welcome—no purchase or old CT account needed.

Who’s online

0 members and 5 guests active in the last 15 minutes

No signed-in members active right now. Guests are welcome to browse.

Visitors Today47

3,683 threads, 23,233 posts and 354 images saved from CT