Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗
I am always interested in hearing first car stories, but more importantly tell me about your first vl/vlt stories.
I would hope some other ct members would find it interesting to discuss about their first vl's
There is bound to be some genuinely funny and interesting posts.
0 likes
My first vl I liked at the time but it was a ****box. I owned significantly better cars for a few years, then I built a vl properly.
0 likes
First job was a car detailer in Ringwood Vic. My boss sold me a silver SL VL N/A "you cant be catching a train to work" so $800 later i had it... well took me 6 weeks to pay it off lol
any way
I lost it on my dirt road n hit a wall, messed the front bar up and bent the steering thingy. I Sold it for $250 to some pissed off traidies who had traveled over an hour to pick up a running car but found me there alone and a dead stick. As my step dad was to pissed to help me jump start it after a few "after this beer lol"
So at 10 pm at the bottom of the drive the deal was done and that was the end of my first.
The second vl he sold me "down stairs theirs a vl its got power windows blabla you'll like it"..
So i walked out to the lower car park to see a baby blue/silver 87 vl Calais in verygood condition besides the 300,000 ks on the clock. sitting on walkies 65 mm's off the ground
$3,000
So i went home that day to get a lone of my step dad
his conditions.
$100 establishment fee
$250 per week for 12 weeks
plus %20 interest if i didnt pay it off on time
I was on $380 a week at the time (18 yo)
I took the loan and kept payments up until i mentioned it my aunt and she fronted me the cash and said "tell that Azho to stick it up his azho".
So i did
Since iv developed very good saving habits and have not taken out a loan.
have own'd over 8 vls. Buying a house starting a business and a family so the current VLCT is staying in the family for years to come.
My story
0 likes
lol, when I has just turned 19 got my first vl bt1,avo highflow t3 extra injector and keas 3spd, it was alpine white with a ss grp a body kit,walkinshaws that rubbed like hell!! I spent neally every night at notting hill pizza hut and crusing princess hwy for a week and think I spent like $250 buks on fuel lol 2nd week was at tafe at chislom in dandy,and blew the trans!!
picked up the vl start of 3rd week from transtyle turned left at the hallam pub, gave it a boot full rolled her over across road from spring square ,took out some trees busted my head open, broke my scapula, car was a mess and I was lucky to b alive!!
I was such a young idiot! however I learnt a very valuable life lesson!
rehab is painfull in so many ways
and paying $14,000 for a vl turbo on ur p,s no insurance I had a long time to think about how stupid it was!!
0 likes
Would love to hear stories from those who bought a VL as new from the 80s.
Doubt there would be many on here apart from Craig.
0 likes
Bought my first vl in the mid nineties.it was a 1988 Vl calais turbo red over silver (one owner) with 106000 on the clock,was owned by an old couple who had two identical ones. My rego was (DJD939) and her husbands was (DJD 940). They traded both cars in to smiths holden in geelong and bought a brand new VS statesman caprice cause he had retired. i saw it up on the racks and had to have it, paid 20k for it at the time, the interior was like new and paint was immac. Kept it for about 5 years, never modded it just lowered it a bit, it still had the kick up factory exhaust on it and beige interior, beautiful car that, should have kept it, but silly me sold it to buy a ute which i needed at the time. thats my story
Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
Bought my first VL in May 2002. It was a 5/87 VL SL 5 speed. 100% stock. It had air con but no power steering. Was in above average condition apart from the usual few dings from carparks. It belonged to a couple with 2 kids, and they had spilt drinks, etc on the rear seat. It was also from a rural red soil area and had some staining around the door handles door jambs etc in the usual hard to get places to wash / polish. But in general it was in good nick. Had 267,000 km on it.
Paid $2500 for it, $1500 come from my father which I had to pay back later. I cleaned it all up and gave it a polish up, and it looked great. Fitted up power steering to it, and it was my general daily drive for a year. I then got a VL Executive and that became my daily drive. I parked my original VL up, and only used in on weekends etc. Sometimes it would sit in the shed for 6 months or more. But it was the start of a slow 11 year transformation into a VL Calais Turbo replica. Ive just finished putting in a grey VL Calais interior in it. The full story can be seen here -
http://www.calaisturbo.com.au/showthread.php?t=255030
0 likes